Airfix 1/72 Handley Page 0/400

The Spadgent has started a build thread on this venerable but in my opinion, very good, kit. I built this some years ago after I had returned to the hobby after a 30+ year break - it was the third kit that I tried. I had built one of these when it was first released but did not have the skill or patience to do it justice then. I bought this second hand in the late 1970's so it was in dark green plastic and had no flash - just all of the ejector marks! I threw away the glazing and replaced it with clear acetate sheet and had to mould the upper wing centre section top (mine was missing and Airfix only re-released the kit after I had completed it). I hand painted the cockades, fin flashes and letter on the nose. The serial is from transfers as are the lift here markings. I also built the kit in a completely different sequence to the instructions because I knew that the wing joints are very tricky and care and dry runs are needed if that particular operation is to be successful. This represents a machine from an RNAS unit in early 1918 and was used for day bombing. It is worth remembering that at the time this kit was released it was one of the best quality kits on the market, which shows just how far our hobby has come in the intervening years. There are three other photos on The Spadgent's build thread page.

35121654732_8f8a28bca0_c.jpg

35121653342_4181364698_c.jpg

The model is rigged with clear monofilament thread - it nearly drove me bonkers as it was almost impossible to see!. It required drilling lots of holes, (the holes provided by Airfix in the wings are a bit of a joke), and there were some other issues which I had to deal with. There is a build thread for this on Airfix Tribute Forum and an article on Modelling Madness if anyone is interested.

35287726695_26921ae185_c.jpg

35157879851_8c6e320449_c.jpg

I added the ladders and other bits just to give it a bit more interest. I know that the tail dolly is a work of fiction on Airfix's part but I could not find suitable photos/drawings at the time to scratch a proper one. In all an interesting build and one that I had long wanted to complete. It was also one of the last kits that I built as I found two completely forgotten, incomplete conversions in my roof when I was building this and looking for something else.... and so I completed them and continued with other conversions which I had also long wanted to make, and now I scratch build.

P

• Like 37

Can't remember if I've seen this before, but what a cracking build - rigging has been particularly well executed too.

Regards

Dave

That's a wonderfully built and rigged Handley Page 0/400 bomber, wish I had the know how and rigging skills to complete this 'often thought about' Airfix purchase.

As a fellow resident of Maidstone, I wonder if you may remember buying Heller (or other) model kits from Hubble & Freeman a few years ago ?

Thanks gentlemen for the very kind remarks, they are truly appreciated.

No Dave you have not seen this one - perhaps I ought to bring it to a club meeting in the future.

Colin: I did not buy any kits from Hubble and Freeman because for very many years (30+) I stopped modelling altogether. I came to Maidstone during that non-modelling period and when I restarted a few years ago I mainly used kits in my stash. Now I scratch build so I do not buy kits at all these days and I sold my stash last year as I felt that others would hopefully get more pleasure from them than me: they had been in the roof spaces of my various homes and I could not see my ever building them. I suspect that some have also been stored in various modellers roof spaces until.......

P

• 1 month later...