2 Stage Merlins for Mosquito

Biggu

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:42 PM, Biggu said:

I hope this is in the right spot to ask this....... I was wondering if anyone has tried the two stage Merlin conversion from Attack Squadron?  Are they accurate, do they fit and is Attack Squadron ok to deal with? I live in Canada, and am just wondering ... I'm thinking I'd like to place an order, I just would like to be sure the product will fit and look correct.....any advice would be most helpful... Jeff

A lot of correspondence (including some from myself!) on postage, wheels, C-130 improvements, packaging etc.

But has anyone actually tried it with the Tamiya kit?

I used this ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Attack-Squadron-Models-1-72-DH-98-MOSQUITO-2-STAGE-SUPERCHARGER-MERLIN-NACELLES-/382042658869?hash=item58f3845835

As for actually using the parts?  Good grief, nobody uses aftermarket parts any more than they build kits to reduce the stash! ;) 

These engines look so good in the bag that I might yet get out the tools once the minor house renovation is complete.  I figure any man who can successfully decipher Ikea kitchen cabinet instructions has nothing to fear.

Edited by RJP
cleaned up the prose
  • Like 2

Now as the engines look so good, I'm going to have to get the Mosquito that they go on , I see... I was just going to wait a little bit, but what the heck eh? Hannats here I come!  Mine are still in transit, I guess... long way from Poland to Nelson....

• Like 1

Don...... are those 1/48 scale engines??  I have a set of the CMK conversion set, which is good, but the 'experts' say they are a little too short, and they are for the 1/48 scale Tamiya kit...... Obviously I need to get out more, I didn't know that True Details did the two stage conversion...... what are they like?...... and Monogram only did a 1/48 scale Mossie, right??

On 6/30/2017 at 8:36 AM, Denford said:

A lot of correspondence (including some from myself!) on postage, wheels, C-130 improvements, packaging etc.

But has anyone actually tried it with the Tamiya kit?

Denford, not sure about that, but I hope to.......

• 1 month later...

Well, I said I would let you know when I got my Mosquito engines from Poland and they arrived yesterday, here in Canada... took a while, I was beginning to wonder, but all is well, they arrived in good shape, the box hod only one corner bashed in a bit, but the contents were perfect. And the best part , NO duties, they just breezed right through customs, and that is always a bonus.... I really like what I see as far as the castings are concerned, the Mossie engines look really good and well detailed... also the C130 engines and flaps are wonderful....the engines especially, very fine castings, thin and look the part.... so all is well, and it was a positive experience, I'm sure I will order again, although I am now prepared to wait...

A little up date on those 2 Stage Merlins, I cleaned them up, basically cut the casting blocks off, easy as pie, the resin is very easy to work with and very minimal clean up required....  and dry fitted top and bottom pieces, again perfect fit, they are longer than the standard Merlin, which is an issue with some of the 1/48th sets, and then I cut the appropriate bits off the kit parts, dry fitted the new nacelles to the wing, and the fit is excellent, so to say money well spent is most correct, I really like these 2 stage replacements, and they have all the humps and bumps that the real deal has, WELL DONE Attack Squadron, I will be getting a few more.... so guys if you want an easy 2 stage Merlin replacement for the 1/72 scale Tamiya Mosquito, these will do the job just fine

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One more update, I had a few minutes yesterday to sit at the becnh, and I fitted one of the two stage Merlins to the kit, and guys and gals...... the fit................... was PERFECT, and I mean perfect, I was really careful how I cut off the original engines, and when it came time to mount the new ones, the fit was outstanding, I will buy another few sets of these for sure...... just thought some of you may be interested to know.... I am a happy old man !! LOL

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I seem to have missed the window for acquiring these resin nacelles... Attack Squadron seem to have dropped the resin business and had a sell-out in october, which I missed. This leaves me with a Tamiya mosquito kit without the conversion I need to make an NF.30 out of it. 

I can't seem to find them anywhere anymore. Does anyone know of a seller who still has some? They were only on the market for a short period. Or perhaps any idea if the Attack Squadron resin accessories will be taken over by another brand? 

Any help appreciated!

On 7/1/2017 at 11:26 AM, Biggu said:

Don...... are those 1/48 scale engines??  I have a set of the CMK conversion set, which is good, but the 'experts' say they are a little too short, and they are for the 1/48 scale Tamiya kit...... Obviously I need to get out more, I didn't know that True Details did the two stage conversion...... what are they like?...... and Monogram only did a 1/48 scale Mossie, right??

Sorry it took me so long to respond… :huh:

Yes, the Monogram kit is 1/48.

7 hours ago, ivand said:

I seem to have missed the window for acquiring these resin nacelles... Attack Squadron seem to have dropped the resin business and had a sell-out in october, which I missed. This leaves me with a Tamiya mosquito kit without the conversion I need to make an NF.30 out of it. 

I can't seem to find them anywhere anymore. Does anyone know of a seller who still has some? They were only on the market for a short period. Or perhaps any idea if the Attack Squadron resin accessories will be taken over by another brand? 

Any help appreciated!

Yes, it seems Hannants from the UK have them still,

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK4108

Give this a go, they are a bit pricey, but this seems to be the only game in town that I have seen, apparently the rivet counters say they are a tad short, and the best solution is to use the ones from the Airfix kit, but then there is a ton of wheel well work to do. I have this set in my stash to be used for my Spartan Air Services Mosquito B.35 conversion. The engines are of good quality and I am happy with them. Give Hannants  a try..... let us know how you get along..

hope this helped you

Jeff

9 hours ago, ben_m said:

If you're not in a hurry, the Special Hobby two stage kits might come to market at some point:

http://www.specialhobby.info/2017/04/172-double-stage-engine-mosquito-kits.html

Yes, I noticed that and I'll definitely keep an eye out for those, but then I'm still stuck with a Tamiya Mosquito.

Edited by ivand

Hi, Blackbird models do a 72nd scale set of mosquito two stage engines currently out of stock though, please see below the link for their web site

http://www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk/mosquito-two-stage-engines-72-1290-p.asp

Can also be brought from Aviation Megastore but also out of stock 

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/mosquito-two-stage-merlin-engines-bma72004-blackbird-models-bma72004-aircraft-engines/product/?action=prodinfo&art=133499

• 3 weeks later...