2 Stage Merlins for Mosquito

Biggu

I hope this is in the right spot to ask this....... I was wondering if anyone has tried the two stage Merlin conversion from Attack Squadron?  Are they accurate, do they fit and is Attack Squadron ok to deal with? I live in Canada, and am just wondering ... I'm thinking I'd like to place an order, I just would like to be sure the product will fit and look correct.....any advice would be most helpful... Jeff

Cant comment on ordering direct from Arma/Attack but the nacelles themselves are good based on photos and some discussion on the 72nd Scale Aircraft FB page. Hannants has carried it and so does this ebay store that I have dealt with before

• Like 2

ok, thanks guys, I will check it out...I thought they looked good as well.....there are a couple other items I'd like to get from them as well.... so maybe I will give them a go, or definitely check out the ebay store... thanks again boys..

I bought a couple of theses myself.  Haven't used them yet, but they do look really good.  FWIW, as far as ordering goes, I have found that direct from Attack Squadron will get you the best overall price with shipping.

HTH.

• Like 1

THAT is exactly what I was asking in a round about way....AND if they ship to Canada as that's where you and I are, I am even more excited, I always have a little trepidation until I find out if other have had a good experience, sounding good Bill, I will most likely place an order.....thanks !!

Jeff

I hadn't considered two-stage Merlins in 1/72 since I converted a Frog B.IV/FB.VI to a Mk XVI way back when the world was young.  It was a poor job but I didn't think so then ;)

So now I have also ordered a set, from the US Ebay link given by Chuck1945 and we'll see how long it takes to get here to Toronto.  Total cost (postage in) was USD$15.49 and my bank charged my credit card CAD$21.16.    The end price was right, now we'll see the goods.  If Biggu's is coming from Poland we'll see whose vendor is quicker.  

Ok, lets see how this goes, I will place an order tomorrow ( the Mrs. said I could LOL) I am also going to order a set of Mosquito wheels with the smooth tread and a set of C 130 flaps and maybe a set of C 130 engines, but we will see how long and what transpires... thanks guys this is interesting.... I will say I am frustrated with our crummy dollar these days.... we are taking a beating.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biggu said:

I will say I am frustrated with our crummy dollar these days.... we are taking a beating.....

Better than several years back when it was $1.50 plus to the USD dollar!  But still, it hurts...  LOL

I also picked up a few of their Mosquito wheel sets.  You might also look at the Mosquito wheels from Armory Models.  I haven't really decided yet if I have a preference, but they are nice looking wheels:

s-l1600.jpg

The bulge of the wheels seems a little more restrained than the ones from Attack Squadron:

s-l1600.jpg

Not sure which is really "correct", they both look good and are pretty closely priced, FWIW.

• Like 1

Thanks for the photo, I like the Attack Squadron ones, as they will be more accurate in tread for a "Spartan" machine.... and thanks for the link, I will put it in my fav's....I appreciate that.....

Ok Chaps, order placed, 1 set of Two Stage Merlins, 1 set of smooth tread Mosquito wheels, 1 set C 130 flaps, and 1 set C 130 engines, total 54.25 Euro, and that is $83.62 CDN shipping in................ they are on the clock now..

Jeff

6 hours ago, gingerbob said:

If you mean the museum example, I think that's the one at Dayton Ohio, Air Force Museum, or whatever "corporate branding" they are currently using.

Thanks; it certainly resembles the one the Air Force Museum website, down to the adjacent Spitfire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggu said:

Ok Chaps, order placed, 1 set of Two Stage Merlins, 1 set of smooth tread Mosquito wheels, 1 set C 130 flaps, and 1 set C 130 engines, total 54.25 Euro, and that is $83.62 CDN shipping in................ they are on the clock now..

Jeff

You're going to love those C-130 flaps and the engine/prop set. All the bits and pieces for the engines/props fit together beautifully and the resin nacellle fits the Italeri kit perfectly.

Thanks TBC, that is most reassuring...I LOVE the sounds of this................ is there a ton of wing grinding to do to make the flaps fit? Also is the engine set an improvement over the kit ones?  It doesn't get much better than 'perfect'..... I like that....

16 minutes ago, Biggu said:

Thanks TBC, that is most reassuring...I LOVE the sounds of this................ is there a ton of wing grinding to do to make the flaps fit? Also is the engine set an improvement over the kit ones?  It doesn't get much better than 'perfect'..... I like that....

I've not done any work with the flaps, just test fitting of the nacelles. The Italeri engines represent those of a C-130A and are just completely wrong for a C-130E/H. Not to be pedantic, but I wouldn't classify the Attack Squadron engines as an improvement but rather a correct size and shape resin engine set to represent that of a C-130E/H.

The blades are all cast separately, as is the prop hub, nacelle front and the nacelle itself - 7 pieces per engine. I really wish they would update their web site with actual pictures of the resin so people can see just how nice they really are.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks that is perfect as it is an "E" I would like to do.. and yes CAD drawings just don't cut it in this day and age......if corrected engines is the case then that is what I'd be after for sure...... always good to get an other opinion...thank you..

• 2 weeks later...

I got the shipping notice Tuesday June 20........................... so we will see how long it takes to make it here to British Columbia, for those who wer wondering... just keeping you in the loop as they say.... so far so good, they sent me a coupon for an extra 5% discount,,................. nice touch.... so far so good.....

Mine left the ebay vendor in California on the 19th, cleared customs in Richmond BC on the 21st.  Canada Post expects to deliver it here in Toronto on Wednesday next week.  They always try to underpromise so I won't be surprised to see it Monday or Tuesday.  

Now what did I do with the kit to stick them on?;)

Edited by RJP

wow , that's good service, lots of times I can get a package from England FASTER than I can from Vancouver only a mere 420 miles west of here.... good luck , keep me in the loop...............  this is interstingly fun

Jeff

My package arrived just now, excellent service all the way.  I can't say enough good about Canada Post's tracking service.  And like always, the package arrived two days ahead of promise.

The parts came packaged in a ziplock baggie, inside a neat little cardboard box together with a simple instruction sheet. The vendor wrapped it in another layer of corrugated cardboard and then in bubble wrap and then mailed it in a bubble-lined envelope.  The package arrived in perfect condition.  I will buy from that guy again for certain.

I haven't attempted to use them, of course.  Too much to do and too little time.  The basement reno beckons.

If I need inspiration for building a Mosquito, I look no further than a project in which my father-in-law is heavily involved:

http://www.ch2a.ca/mosquito

Edited by RJP
  • Like 1

Wow, that is FAST service, although it is coming from the USA, my stuff is coming from Poland, BUT I did get a notification that it had been shipped, so we will see if it is on the slow boat or the fast jet..... I would be interested to know who the Ebay seller was as if it was good, then it may be a good place for me to shop as well..... I will check out the Mosquito link you sent for sure..... I am involved with the Calgary Mosquito Society helping or trying to help restore RS 700 CF-HMS a B 35..... check it out  www.calgarymosquitosociety.com   I will let you knwo when my package arrives... thanks for the info, all very good stuff.....