IrishKiwi

I have a an older Italeri Do 217 K-2 and a more recent 217 M-1 in the cupboard.  Both aircraft have a extensive frontal canopy that comprises of a number of smaller panels, so it is a challenge to mask.  I know there was an Eduard mask for the Do 217k in earlier times but these are almost impossible to track down as it was discontinued some time ago.  If there persons out there who can pass on some experience on how to approach this, much appreciated. 

• Like 2

There was a discussion about various methods of masking canopies in the modelling tips section a while back, a search should bring it up.

There are lots of methods used to mask canopies but my favourite is to use pieces of bare metal foil, a cocktail stick to push the foil into the edge of the frames and a new blade to carefully cut along the frame. You can use the same technique with Tamiya tape too but you need lots more pressure to cut through the tape so it's best to get the shape then take the tape off and cut it on something else.

I wish you luck and hope you find a method that works for you.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Hi, IrishKiwi,

I would be called an old-fashioned traditionalist or somethig worse, but I think that there is no option to thinly cut strips of Tamiya tape filled with maskol or equivalent. Not difficult though extremely laborious.

Fernando

• Like 1

The method that I have used is to take regular masking tape and cut it into thin strips using a metal straightedge and  a single edge razor blade; I put  a length of tape on a glass slab to cut  it into several thin strips. I then use the tape strips  to mask either all of the vertical or all of the horizontal frames, airbrush the primer/canopy interior color and then the exterior color. Repeat the process for the frames not masked the first time. For curved frames, I either use one of the thin aftermarket tapes,  auto pin striping tape, or cut a curved piece with curved surgical scissors. This is pretty tedious for a multi-framed canopy like the Do-217, I know, but gives razor sharp demarcations. So many incredible builds are compromised by sloppy canopy framework, in my humble opinion. If you don't cut the masking tape with a razor knife, the slight irregularities in the tape will really show!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 4

Have a DO217K on the bench at the moment.I use a combination of methods on aircraft with large areas of glazing.I start by covering the entire clear part with masking tape,which I push into the panels as much as I can with a cocktail stick,or the back of a scalpel blade.Then I cut out framing from the masked part.Any bits that need to be tidied up are done with small strips.Whichever way you do it it's a laborious task.Hope this is of some help.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glatisant said:

Have a DO217K on the bench at the moment.I use a combination of methods on aircraft with large areas of glazing.I start by covering the entire clear part with masking tape,which I push into the panels as much as I can with a cocktail stick,or the back of a scalpel blade.Then I cut out framing from the masked part.Any bits that need to be tidied up are done with small strips.Whichever way you do it it's a laborious task.Hope this is of some help.

Very similar to my method, just the materials are different (the metal foil is thinner so goes into the frames easier).

All the above methods are sound methods and go to show that there is more than one way to give your tabby a haircut :)

Duncan B

Hi Guys - thanks for the informative and creative ways to attack a demanding aspect of the 217K/M.  No easy answer for this except stop modelling the Luftwaffe in 1/72.  But we all love a challenge and I look forward to the task ahead.

There are also masking fluids available; these dry to a rubbery finish. You can spray or brush(check the bottle) the liquid on the clear parts. Depending on which method(spray/brush) you use; you would then carefully cut out the frames on the canopy(ies). Eduard might have a masking set for the Do 217 K/M; you'll have to check their website for its availability. I do know they had a PE set(I bought 2 of them).

HTH

Joe