Hasegawa 1/72 F-15 ACTIVE

LeVi Tophatter

Well, this is a surprise indeed... As seen on Hobbysearch. I've been wanting to build this for eons but the thought of doing the canard mounts and 3D nozzles left me dreaming instead. No idea of the release date but apparently it's able to be put on pre-order, I'll bet it'll have the metal nose probe from the Streak Eagle kit with resin canards and nozzles. The price tag points to that!

Very nice. Would love Hasegawa to do a NASA bird too...

If the box photo is to be taken as reference I doubt they will include the 3D nozzles: that would mean a major conversion and Hasegawa cunningly chose the IFCS configuration which allows them to apply the stunning colour scheme adding only the canard foreplanes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Violet Club said:

I hope that that someone will release the correct dorsal airbrake (smaller on ACTIVE and other F-15 prototypes).

I think folks shy away from the prototype airbrakes as I'm sure the shape of the raised 'spine' is slightly different from the 'standard' production Eagles. I don't think there is much demand for a conversion either, sadly... With this kit, Hasegawa will tell you to fill/re-scribe panel lines to give the impression of the small airbrake, just like they did with previous kits.

16 hours ago, Whirly said:

If the box photo is to be taken as reference I doubt they will include the 3D nozzles: that would mean a major conversion and Hasegawa cunningly chose the IFCS configuration which allows them to apply the stunning colour scheme adding only the canard foreplanes.

They really should, you can see the different nozzles in the pending box photo... But then again, Hasegawa was notorious for flogging kits without the parts needed to build them as per the box art/photo! Most reference material I have shows the IFCS configuration with the 3D nozzles. I reckon Hasegawa will wing it and just supply a pair of resin (?) nozzles, after all the engine area with the 3D nozzles isn't massively different from the standard F-15's at a quick glance...!!!

The F-15 ACTIVE with 2D nozzles on the other hand is a major job... This creative fellow has managed to custom build it though, using the Hasegawa 1/48 F-15D kit :o.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

got my kit yesterday from HLJ. What you get:

- plastic parts of a "standard" Hasegawa F-15B/D

- white metal boom

- kind of short run / rapid prototyping canard foreplanes and sponsons

- decal sheet with marking options for the F-15S/MTD, ACTIVE and IFCS

The exhausts are "standard" Hasegawa F100 exhauts, nothing special there included.

I purchased this kit with the intention to build it as an S/MTD and having a better starting point than doing all myself, especially the decals. Years ago I purchsed a photo CD from Tony Landis depicting this unique F-15 in its various versions in great detail. I recommend this reference to any with interest in this aircraft. A quick comparison with this reference:

-The sponsons of the canard foreplanes are partly wrong in shape, but easily corrected with putty. You'll need to modify the original kit to fit them.

-The canards lack some strengthening panels

-The S/MTD logo has the outer wording in light blue instead of white and "GE" is spelled "QE".

As reported elswhere already, the aircraft is an early twoseater with the smaller airbrake (The plan gives some advice to modify it from the "big" airbrake). When it was modified with canards the cockpits where updated to (almost) F-15E standard. 

Despite the issues with the canard s, sponsons and S/MTD logo (you need very good eyes to see that in 1/72) for me it's worth having it as a staring point for my planned F-15 S/MTD.

Martin

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...
On 13/06/2017 at 09:09, Violet Club said:

I hope that that someone will release the correct dorsal airbrake (smaller on ACTIVE and other F-15 prototypes).

if i recall the initial hasegawa F-15E kit had the small airbrake

spacer.png

On 6/12/2017 at 7:12 PM, LeVi Tophatter said:

Well, this is a surprise indeed... As seen on Hobbysearch. I've been wanting to build this for eons but the thought of doing the canard mounts and 3D nozzles left me dreaming instead. No idea of the release date but apparently it's able to be put on pre-order, I'll bet it'll have the metal nose probe from the Streak Eagle kit with resin canards and nozzles. The price tag points to that!

Very nice. Would love Hasegawa to do a NASA bird too...

Caracal models have a very nice set of F-15 NASA decals in both 1/72 and 1/48 that include decals for the ACTIVE F-15.

5 hours ago, gavingav1 said:

if i recall the initial hasegawa F-15E kit had the small airbrake

spacer.png

you have to hunt the very early mold Hasegawa kits, even so I doubt they had the small airbrake, if anything they had stabs with no dog tooth, only Revell/Matchbox kits had the small airbrake, they also had early-ish wingtips then kit got partially revisited to Matchbox standards

Luigi