SAAB 'VIGGEN' - 'Grey Scheme' Colours.

mcdonnell

Hello,Friends - I've seen some fabulous photos of the 'Viggen' in the final service 'Grey' scheme.I built a PR Spitfire in Swedish Markings and the idea of adding this type to my fleet in that scheme really appeals to me.

I wonder if anyone can kindly advise me of the Grey Colour References? My usual model paints are 'Xtracolor' Enamels and occasionally 'Humbrol' or 'Revell'.

My thanks and appreciation for any possible assistance.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hello Paul!

The gray camouflage appeared for the first time between December 1983 and January 1984. Originally two airframes were painted. The colours used were MörkgrÄ 033 (Dark Gray 033) and GrÄ 032 (Grey 032). Dark Gray 033 is "a little bit more grayish than FS 16152 and Gray 032 is a little bit more blueish than FS 16373. These colours were later used not only for JA37s but for S102 "Korpens" as well. This information comes from Leif Hellström's and Leif Fredin's book "KronmÀrkt" ("Crown Marked").

Unfortunately I don't have equivalents for model paints.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 3

Mr. Paint has excellent paint for Viggen. If you have cross-reference charts, Gunze H307 and H338 are also a very close match. Another close match is Humbrol 128 and 147.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 5

Airfix issued a 48th Viggen, I think it based on the Esci one. 

In more recent time Special Hobby and Tarangus have issued 48th Viggens.

Great looking jet, as most Saab jets are, but I've yet to model one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

Airfix issued a 48th Viggen, I think it based on the Esci one. 

In more recent time Special Hobby and Tarangus have issued 48th Viggens.

Great looking jet, as most Saab jets are, but I've yet to model one.

Thanks James, now you mention it the Airfix one does ring a faint bell, what is the SH kit like? I agree, the Vigan is a fantastic looking jet, as are the others. I've built the 1/72 Airfix and Hasegawa kits many moons ago.

John 

• Like 2

Hello each and every one of you,Gentlemen. Many thanks to you for your very kind interest and helpful replies.

Your feedback will be a great help in pointing me in the right colour direction.I'd better start saving for a 'Viggen'!! đŸ€”

All the very best,Paul.😉👍

• Like 2

Airfix 1/48 Viggen is just a rebox of the Esci one. Special Hobby and Tarangus are the same kit, just different versions. Not the easiest build, but a huge improvement compared to the Esci/Airfix one from about 1980.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bjorn said:

Airfix 1/48 Viggen is just a rebox of the Esci one. Special Hobby and Tarangus are the same kit, just different versions. Not the easiest build, but a huge improvement compared to the Esci/Airfix one from about 1980.

Hello,Bjorn - Thank you once again,not just for the guidance with the colours but now also with the available kits.Obviously you're a 'Draken' devotee and understandably so.My personal favourite is the 'Viggen'.They're both superb aircraft but there's just something about the looks of the 'Viggen' that does it for me.I hope you don't mind my saying this but I also love 'Abba'!!

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Bjorn - Thank you once again,not just for the guidance with the colours but now also with the available kits.Obviously you're a 'Draken' devotee and understandably so.My personal favourite is the 'Viggen'.They're both superb aircraft but there's just something about the looks of the 'Viggen' that does it for me.I hope you don't mind my saying this but I also love 'Abba'!!

Yes, Draken is my favourite (not so hard to notice, I guess... :) ), but of course I am also a Viggen fan - even if Saab Lansen is my second choice among Swedish jets. But I recently built Arifix Viggen, (maybe I should make a post on the RFI section on that), backdating it to the first prototype, and I am currently building Tarangus kit as a JA 37. Viggen looks great, but the sound of it is even better. When you hear it, you will find out why it is called "Viggen" (Thunderbolt)! And being a Swede, Abba is of course one of my favourites (although I am more a fan of British music from that era, like ELO!). But most Swedes are b(j)orn as Abba lovers. :) 

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

The good people at IPMS/Sweden/Stockholm might be able to assist you. They still have their great colorcharts on their website(can't remember if it is the national or the city's site, sorry) listing so many of the various air forces and the equivalent(or very close) paints(different brands) that can work. Contact them for this info, if anybody knows Viggens; it is they!

HTH

Joe

• Like 2

Hello,Joe - Please accept my apologies for this late response to your very thoughtful and informative reply.

I'll also take this opportunity to welcome you to the Forum.

Many thanks indeed.

4 minutes ago, JPuente54 said:

Paul, you are welcome; thanks for your kind comments. Good luck on your project!

Joe

Hello,Joe - My pleasure. I'll try my best! I have an RAF Phantom build on the go which is now ready for finishing paint scheme so when this is completed the 'Viggen' would be a great next build subject."Fingers-crossed!"

I confess to beeing a massive fan of the Viggen.. :)

You already got help with the colours but the kit.. Special Hobby and tarangus kit is nice. Needs some work, it is a Special Hobby kit and not cheap. And it feels like it is made for having a lot of the stuff replaced with resin - which one part of Tarangus makes under Maestro Models.

I makes for a very expensive model. I do not really have a problem with that, the parts are nice and it is a hobby so "surplus" money are put into it and I take my time with it. Not really working on a stash but having 2-3 models.

But be aware of it..

The kit needs some work in a few areas. or atleast my first JA37 did.. Filling and sanding. But it IS a massively cool aircraft - though I am extremely biased.. ;)

18 hours ago, Paramedic said:

I confess to beeing a massive fan of the Viggen.. :)

You already got help with the colours but the kit.. Special Hobby and tarangus kit is nice. Needs some work, it is a Special Hobby kit and not cheap. And it feels like it is made for having a lot of the stuff replaced with resin - which one part of Tarangus makes under Maestro Models.

I makes for a very expensive model. I do not really have a problem with that, the parts are nice and it is a hobby so "surplus" money are put into it and I take my time with it. Not really working on a stash but having 2-3 models.

But be aware of it..

The kit needs some work in a few areas. or atleast my first JA37 did.. Filling and sanding. But it IS a massively cool aircraft - though I am extremely biased.. ;)

You are so right! Tarangus/Viggen JA 37 has two main issues: The wrongly shaped canard elevons. Here resin replacements are a good idea but not the only way, since they can be fixed with plasticard (or, as I did on my current build, by using the elevons from an old Airfix/Esci kit). 

Canards on my build:

32127885554_13bbb9c125_c.jpg

The other issue is the wrong shape on the upper part of the fin, the angle should be the same as the lower part, but it is not. The pitot tube is also in the wrong place. Also here, a resin replacement is a good idea but not necessary. I used a Maestro's resin fin, but a fellow modeller (Janne S) fixed this on his own:

IMG_1932_zps1c7404af.jpg

• Like 2