1/72 Valom Mc Donnell RF-101C

Hello

Here is my last build : 45th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron Mc Donnell RF-101C Tan Son Nhut, Nam around 1970. This is a 1/72 kit from Valom. soon to be published in the French magazine "Avion de Combat" and to be seen at Modelbrno on Saturday.

Patrick

m_497840889_0.jpg

m_497840891_0.jpg

m_497840892_0.jpg

• Like 43

Great build Patrick!!!

I have told a friend of mine and also a BM modeler that will be there that please take all the pics  he can to send to me when watch this one face to face,  want to look the real quality of the model and the wonderful build you did. Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

I've always liked the look of the Voodoo, very science fiction in a way, and you've done a wonderful job with this one!

"Alone, unarmed, and unafraid" or variations of that phrase.:clap:

DennisTheBear

Thank you very much.

There should be an ECM pod but this is not inside the box. If I remember well there were not as many as ECM pod as aircraft at the time and they had to share them. The decals came from 72-042 Print Scale decal sheet.

I ma bringing some other kits to Modelbrno and my most recent one : a Zvezda Su-33.

Patrick

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scout712 said:

The Voodoo looks generally looks sleek, but the single seater somehow even more so.

You are right, Michael. I was always a fan of the 2-seater but actually the single is far sleeker. I had one of these (Valom) In the pile but sold it :(. I shouldn't have done that!

Martin  

On 13 juin 2017 at 6:25 AM, VG 33 said:

Thank you very much.

There should be an ECM pod but this is not inside the box. If I remember well there were not as many as ECM pod as aircraft at the time and they had to share them.

Hi Patrick,

By 1970, the problem with number of pod available was no more, it was felt early in the war when those pods entered service,  around 1965/66/67. But ok, there was maybe not a pod per airframe.

I do believe however that a pod was carried on every mission up north as soon as the S-75 menace appeared.

1 hour ago, Antoine said:

Hi Patrick,

By 1970, the problem with number of pod available was no more, it was felt early in the war when those pods entered service,  around 1965/66/67. But ok, there was maybe not a pod per airframe.

I do believe however that a pod was carried on every mission up north as soon as the S-75 menace appeared.

Hi Antoine

You're absolutely right but I hadn"t any ALQ-71 ECM pod on hand.

Patrick

Got the mag', splendid Voodoo for sure, really.

I see you did use Printscale decals as replacement, how about their overall quality?

If I may, RF-101C was not the only version of the Voodoo to fly combat mission, as ROCAF also operated the Voodoo, flying recce missions to the Mainland with RF-101A (And even some C loaned by 45th TRS at some time).

IIRC, ROCAF lost four of them, two shot down by ground fire, and two by PLAAF & PLANAF J-6.

Here's one a few years ago at Taoyuan airport museum.

Said to be an RF-101A, but could be a C.

taoyua10.jpg

Thank you. I was a little bit disappointed by the Printscale decals are they are too thin and rolled around the backing paper when slipped. Actually I changed the chosen scheme when decalling.

Yesterday At Modelbrno I looked for ALQ-71 but to no avail. I think I will have to create them.

Patrick

• Like 1