I didn't quite realise this GB was already underway but now that I've finished up my builds for the NATO Warpac 70s GB I have started with my Hughes 1B experimental record breaking plane. It's a resin kit from CMR in 1/72 and comes with two full kits. One has the short wings the 1B had at first, for the airspeed record attempt, and the other, the one I have started tonight, depicts the longer wings the plane had when it was prepared for the subsequent cross country speed record attempt.

20170612_205037_resized.jpg

20170612_205124_resized.jpg

20170612_205250_resized.jpg

20170612_205936_resized.jpg

Tonight I cleaned up some of the parts and made a start on painting the interior. It's a small kit but of course these ones take a bit more work so it'll probably be slow going.

• Like 2

Hmm.  A lot of small resin bits there. I reckonthat the carpet monster will be having a feast. 

Probably the hardest part of this will be getting the bits off without breaking or loosing too many. 

Good luck

Colin 

fortunately my building space has wooden floors...but yes. I already dropped a few bits last night but was able to find them. 

for the high gloss finish I was thinking I might try to use bare metal foil. Never used it before. But then I've never done a resin kit with more than about five parts before either.

It is, after all, the Experimental Group Build!

• Like 2

Made a little progress last night and tonight.

20170615_205252_resized.jpg

20170615_205326_resized.jpg

Crappy photos, sorry. Cellphone. No time to do better. 

I lost the PE trim wheel, despite not having carpet. Clip, zoom! Flew off into oblivion right from the tweezers. Other than the instrument panel which is cool, and I didn't lose, there are also these seatbelts. I don't know about you but they seem way out of scale to me. 

Tomorrow I will seal the fuselage up.

I've ordered some Hasegawa mirror finish adhesive foil. 

• Like 3

This looks like an interesting build and i will be interested to see how it progresses. I agree about the seat-belts, they do look quite wide, but the rest of the kit looks great. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just caught up with this. 

:welcome: to the Group Build!

A fantastic subject. It's a risky thing to say, but I'm quite a fan of Mr. Hughes aviation exploits.

This is a gorgeous looking little aircraft. I will be fascinated to see how the mirror fool goes. Resin and mirror foil :frantic: !

Brave, very brave.

I haven't built the kit, but read somewhere that there can be an small issue with the cowl/motor fit, although I'm not sure if it was the 1/48 or 1/72 version. It could be worth a quick dry fit.

Well done on finding the trim wheel. Perhaps Howard had big tick speed belts due to the speed/forces involved for the time, for comfort and additional safety?

Looking forward to this :),

Still a good 18 days to go :winkgrin::penguin:!!

Best regards

TonyT

I have made a little more progress, though no new pics. The fuselage is together and I puttied up the seams and sanded them back with rough paper. I still have to go over it again with finer paper.

Meanwhile the Hasegawa mirror finish foil showed up. Not cheap - ten bucks for one sheet about 1/4 of an A4 size! Also, looks like it will be extremely challenging to get it to work.

Still, fortunately the CMR kit actually comes with two full models so if I mess this one up, it's no biggie. 

• Like 1

On 03/07/2017 at 11:48 AM, bianfuxia said:

I have made a little more progress, though no new pics. The fuselage is together and I puttied up the seams and sanded them back with rough paper. I still have to go over it again with finer paper.

Meanwhile the Hasegawa mirror finish foil showed up. Not cheap - ten bucks for one sheet about 1/4 of an A4 size! Also, looks like it will be extremely challenging to get it to work.

Still, fortunately the CMR kit actually comes with two full models so if I mess this one up, it's no biggie. 

Good luck with the mirror sheet!

I don't have mirror sheet, but a year or so ago bought a similarly priced 'Bare Metal Foil' sheet. I'm scared to use it, I feel your apprehension!

We have a little extension so still 17 days left :).

Onwards and upwards :hobbyhorse: !

TonyT

The wings are now on and puttied in the pretty enormous gaps. Plenty more sanding coming my way. 

So my "closeout plan" for this is to paint the wings maybe tonight, then take it with my on my business trip tomorrow night and try to do the foil while I am away. Then, once back the following week, I can finish up the small details.

We shall see.

• Like 1

20170711_222235_resized.jpg

20170711_222253_resized.jpg

That's how it looks now after the first round of coarse sanding. Leaving for my trip tomorrow and it's already late evening. Not sure I am going to have this ready (I wanted to paint the wings before the trip so I can do the foil at the hotel).

I wonder if the foil can withstand some yellow masking tape and I can do things in the other order?

• Like 1

Yes it's pretty bright, huh! 

Basically I am going by my memory of the scenes in the Aviator (Leo diCaprio played HH) and the plane was pretty shiny in that. It's a nice learning experience at least!

• Like 1

Wow! That really is mirror finish foil :shocked:!

It looks stunning :thumbsup2: .

You're doing a lovely job on this kit. From above in one of the photographs, there's something almost 'Spitfire' about it.

Not from below, it reminds me of something else from below, I can't put my finger on it.

The mirror finish really does look amazing; it does look like the one in the film still.

Gorgeous little aircraft, you're certainly doing it justice.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

I think I have a good chance of actually finishing this on time. I wasn't so sure even the last time I picked it up.

So I have now got one coat of gloss blue on the wings. Another one or two (brushpainted) will do the job. 

Meanwhile, the foil - which is really more like tape - is pretty easy to work with. In order to simulate the panel construction seen on the plane, I've using thin strips. I just crimp them together at the centerline on the bottom, and slice the excess off with a really sharp knife. So far so good. It'll be harder towards the front.

20170719_222612_resized.jpg

20170719_222413_resized.jpg

Sorry for the cellphone pics.

The blue in real life is glossier than it looks here.

• Like 1

Getting close now!

The shiny stuff looks gorgeous. I want to find a kit that needs it, just to use it!

Your application technique is certainly working. The blue is a very nice shade and finish too :thumbsup2: 

Good luck with getting the finishing touches in; she's very close :bounce: !!

8 hours left.... plenty of time :D

Best regards :bye: 

TonyT