Mosquito elevators

Potato Pete

Folks,

I recall reading somewhere that two-stage Merlin Mosquito bombers had larger or modified elevators than earlier versions, but cannot find the reference . Can anyone give me the low down?

Cheers

Pete

I am helping restore a Spartan Mosquito here in Canada, and RS700 CF-HMS has two stage Merlins and standard elevators..................show me how to post a pic and I can show it....or on a PM, if you like....  Jeff

Edited by Biggu
notification

17 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

This pic shows the enlarged elevators pretty well.

post-war-1948-mosquito-pr-34-rg245-benso

Are the elevators actually larger in chord? Looks like the horn balances are larger, perhaps? Blast- now I have another research project!

Mike

4 hours ago, Potato Pete said:

Folks,

I recall reading somewhere that two-stage Merlin Mosquito bombers had larger or modified elevators than earlier versions, but cannot find the reference . Can anyone give me the low down?

Cheers

Pete

I think these applied only to the very final versions, and not 2-stage Merlins per se.  Others may be able to be more specific.

It will be interesting to see how this is addressed in the forthcoming 2-Stage Merlins from AZ, KP, Special Hobby or whoever it is that's currently tooling them

It appears from some of my references that some of the PR versions had the enlarged elevators, PR Mk 32,PR Mk 34(early),PR 34A, PR Mk 34A BOAC Gust Research Bird, the Spartan birds like the one we are working on here in Canada had standard elevators, ... CF- HMS  RS 700 a PR Mk 35 was a conversion from a B Mk35, so it was born a bomber.... Jeff

Gents,

Thanks everyone for the info, the photo captures them really well. I had it in my head that they were introduced to cope with more powerful engines and heavier bomb loads, but it would appear not.

Cheers

Pete

I found some discussion on Hyperscale concerning this, and the concensus was that the BMk IV special. PR34A, and Sea Mosquito all had elevators with extended horn balances, I guess for increased authority- kinda makes sense with the increased loads those three variants carried. None of the posters gave the source for their comments, unfortunately. In looking at plan view photos, it is apparent that the chord and span of the elevators is the same for all variants, it is the horn balance that is increased in size. I have attached a link to one of the discussions- on BM no less! I hope this helps. If I can find some written documentation, I will post it.(Maybe Special Hobby will include both elevator types in their upcoming two-stage Merlin Mossie- if they are planning a PR34?)

Mike

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46615-silver-cloud-mosquito-biv-special/