1/72 Bristol type 171 Sycamore S&M models

Hello,

I would like to present my latest completion; S&M model's 1/72nd Bristol type 171 Sycamore Mk52.  

Very nice kit, went together quite well and required very little filler, The clear parts were surprisingly straight forward too although I did experience a slight mishap by dropping and splitting this section from the rest of the fuselage.  Luckily it was in the early stages of the build so there wasn't much damage!

I've made an error with the white sections on the aircraft.  The section below the main rotor should not come down as far as the hoist. The rear oleo struts are not quite right which resulted in the aircraft not 'sitting' correctly.  I had to extend the front oleo to give the distinctive low tail look the sycamore has.  Unfortunatly this has resulted in the poor pilots having to jump to reach the step!! :lol: Not sure if the error was my doing or the kit parts are the wrong length?  Something to bare in mind if anyone is building or planning to build the kit.

Pretty much out of box although I've added some minor additions which are a mix of spare PE & scratch built brass / plastic rod.

34869955580_039eca89b2_c.jpg

35216948266_c6c24590c0_c.jpg

34413337994_3cee407cf4_c.jpg

35216931526_da235a07d1_c.jpg

35257200545_274af40c79_c.jpg

35216920586_999a025aa8_c.jpg

34413316424_5947d6c510_c.jpg

34447958983_7846f98a11_c.jpg[/url

35216910946_800048ce5a_c.jpg

34413301054_83cf44201f_c.jpg

35091372162_2b3755163e_c.jpg

34413288154_742cf9310c_c.jpg

Thanks for looking

Aaron

• Like 63

That's absolutely stunning.  A really great build and paint finish and a really nice scheme.    The kit looks like it is pretty good and, from what you say, went together pretty well too so I'm well tempted.  I've been pondering getting one as I have the old Glencoe kit in the stash and was keen to see how they compare before committing my hard earned spondoolies.  This kit is obviously in a different stratosphere compared to Glencoe's. 

• Like 1

That's a little stunner Aaron. I'm particularly impressed with the crispness of the glazing and the effective preshading. Great job, I hope mine comes out half as good.

• Like 2

thank you all very much for the kind words.

@Meatbox8  thank you, I've only ever seen photos of the glencoe kit so I can't give you a comparison.  However, I would recommend the S&M kit.  There are a few minor omissions and depending on the type of modeller you are, may have to scratch some extra bits.  But even out of box I would say it would look good.  I'm making the presumption, given its age, that the Glencoe kit would require a lot more work than this one.

• Like 3

Very nice looking model with an excellent finish. The Glencoe kit is quite crude and not even 1/72nd scale. I once bought one and sold it the dame day, such was my disappointment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, milktrip said:

thank you all very much for the kind words.

@Meatbox8  thank you, I've only ever seen photos of the glencoe kit so I can't give you a comparison.  However, I would recommend the S&M kit.  There are a few minor omissions and depending on the type of modeller you are, may have to scratch some extra bits.  But even out of box I would say it would look good.  I'm making the presumption, given its age, that the Glencoe kit would require a lot more work than this one.

Thanks for the info.  The Glencoe kit has rivets that would scale out the size of coconuts and I also suspect it's over scaled but, considering its age it doesn't look too bad but definitely of its time.  I'll probably still build it but will deffo go for the S&M kit.  Happily there are several schemes I'd like the type in. 

• Like 1

Hi Aaron:

Congratulations for this wonderful  build presented here!!

This bird really looks as you said, a nice  build with some add-ons depending the type ofmodeler each one is, but seems is a more friendly raw material to  obtain without mess a great stunning build.

The Glencoe kit here mentioned has its roots according with Scalemates Site, in the mid  to late 60's  Lincoln International from Hong Kong release in 1/65, also after them was released by another Hong Kong company named KADER in a smaller box together with many 1/144 airliners and other scales aircraft wothout wheels but with a nice base to leave the aircraft in flight attitude. Afetr a long time I got the Glencoe releases from  the mid to late 90's four times as I liked this bird, and got happy because when open the box found this is the same kit released by KADER that I never had the chance to buy in the 70's.

The kit measures 1/65 and also have found inthe web a case of a build by Carmel J. Attard from  Malta here:

modelingmadness.com/review/korean/gb/attardsyc.htm

This gives testimony about the quantity of work one have to invest for a better build than the OOB anyone can get. 

Thank you very much for sharing.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1

Wonderful work Aaron, this really looks the part. The red scene is stunning! I see what you mean about the tail droop. It really does hang down in the real thing and you've captured it nicely. 

The Glencoe kit can scrub up well with a bit of scratch building but it is oversize, the rivets are big and I do remember a lot of sanding and re-riveting.

• Like 1

That is a brilliant piece of work, love the paint effects - perfect.  Great skill as well to work with something so small - I don't think that I could even see some of those parts...!!!

Phil

• Like 1

Fantastic build. A jewel to look at.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands. 

• Like 1