1:48 Bristol Fighter - Revell

I managed to pick this one up on ebay last month for the bargain price of £7 & have been itching to get started on it. It's actually the Eduard kit, just in a Revell box & with Revell instructions. No photo etch stuff, but I will be trying out Bob's Buckles for the first time. I received 30 eyelets & 20 turnbuckles this week - boy are they small ! After studying my pics of the Shuttleworth's F2B I can see that I'm going to need more.

Paint will be mostly Vallejo model air, I don't have any colours that match the three main colours, so that's another order required before too long - lucky the kit cost next to nothing.

I started putting the cockpit parts together using the revell instructions, but decided I didn't like their colour scheme, so the floor changed from Silver to wood. I should have done the grey & wood of the instrument panel the other way round, but I'm still pleased with the way it's come out.

34434950543_12b9b93e03_z.jpgWP_20170611_17_00_07_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

34399795774_1dac9fbbba_z.jpgWP_20170611_16_11_02_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

All the inside is now painted, well as far as I'm going to anyway - the bracing wires look a bit messy, if I was doing it again I think I'd paint some stretched sprue & stick it in place of the moulded wires.

34434965713_085a16e7d0_z.jpgWP_20170611_17_23_01_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

35203649936_354c528242_z.jpgWP_20170611_18_03_01_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

This is so much more fun than a grey jet fighter

• Like 11

OOB or not anything with a spare wing and fan is more fun than a grey jet fighter. Provides more challenges too. Not seen this kit before so will be following with interest. Will it be WW1or post war markings?

P

• Like 3

scheme will be RFC, 62 Squadron Spring 1918 (France) registration c-4630, which is basically dark brown, with light green nose section & lovely big roundels, White vertical lines on the fuselage & a big white 'J' on the side of the nose.

I've been thinking more about the colour scheme. Ideally I'd like to build d8096 - the one in the shuttleworth collection, but can't find decals anywhere. So I'll go ahead with c-4630. But I've been wondering about the colours, the eduard instruction sheet shows slightly different colours to the Revell ones. What to do? Then I called up all the photos I've taken of d8096 & decided that I can try to match those colours & use the c-4630 decals. Still with me? So, the brown should be fairly easy, I think I already have something that matches, but I can't figure out the nose colour - have a look at these two pics & tell me what colour you think it is....

35270161836_4d945d025c_z.jpgBristol Fighter by Andy Moore, on Flickr

6209051384_ef9b9accbd_z.jpgBristol Fighter by Andy Moore, on Flickr

• Like 1

Andy, if you go to Wingnut Wings site (wingnutwings.com), you can see their very comprehensive colour guide they have in their instructions for the Bristol Fighter.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 21:53, andymoore said:

I couldn't agree with you more!

I think you will get away with the wires as the rest of the cockpits are very neatly done and visibility will be limited anyway.

Martian

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind words & for stopping by to have a look.

So, the fuselage went together - with a lot of clamps to hold it all in place. While I wait for the new paint to arrive I've been filling & filing...

35326501896_ce028e4dcc_z.jpgWP_20170617_18_53_28_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

34523141744_ed1786c1ed_z.jpgWP_20170617_18_47_24_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

Then, I made a start on the prop, I used a base colour of reddish brown, then some streaks of leather brown , then applied wood brown using my special knackered brush (one of many)

35326505956_8ee82344d8_z.jpgWP_20170617_18_46_31_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

The wing struts received similar treatment.

Then I had a play with one of the eyelets I received from Bobs Buckles.....

35326503776_5915416030_z.jpgWP_20170617_18_49_30_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

using the smallest twist drill I have, I made a hole in one of the abandoned kits I have laying around - the eyelet nearly fell all the way through!  So back to ebay... and I've ordered a 0.1 mm drill bit. Not any old drill bit either - it's one of the new Tungsten Carbide drills father - Tungsten Carbide drills ? what the....   sorry I got carried away

No more glueing now until I've got the fuselage painted, and that will probably be next weekend.

• Like 2

Great start, that instrument panel looks real!

On 6/11/2017 at 9:53 PM, andymoore said:

Ain't that just the truth!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

On 14/06/2017 at 9:48 PM, andymoore said:

I've been thinking more about the colour scheme. Ideally I'd like to build d8096 - the one in the shuttleworth collection, but can't find decals anywhere. So I'll go ahead with c-4630. But I've been wondering about the colours, the eduard instruction sheet shows slightly different colours to the Revell ones. What to do? Then I called up all the photos I've taken of d8096 & decided that I can try to match those colours & use the c-4630 decals. Still with me? So, the brown should be fairly easy, I think I already have something that matches, but I can't figure out the nose colour - have a look at these two pics & tell me what colour you think it is....

35270161836_4d945d025c_z.jpgBristol Fighter by Andy Moore, on Flickr

6209051384_ef9b9accbd_z.jpgBristol Fighter by Andy Moore, on Flickr

Having seen D8096 not long ago I'd suggest that the cowling are somewhere near Humbrol 27 or 164 with a small quantity of 164 (Dark Sea Grey lightened slightly with Medium Sea Grey).  It's always difficult to assess colours from photographs, even colour ones, because film types, filters, lighting and God-alone-knows-what-else will affect the finished image.  My perception of colour will differ from yours, even if we stand alongside each other in the hangar with tongues hanging out admiring this flying work of art, so what's spot on for me will be a gnat's gnadger out for you.  Even the colour of the background will affect the perceived colour of the subject, as will reflection from other objects nearby and the ground.  Your mages all look to have been taken in bright sunlight with you between the Sun and the aeroplane so you might want to pick one and work from that or try sampling further images to see if you can pick an "average" to work towards.

I have the Eduard boxing of this kit and an example of the Roden offering (different tooling) in the same scale: I like the look of what you've achieved so far but the thought of all that rigging is putting me off at present.  At least I already have a 0.1mm drill bit, I just have to remember not to lose or break it.

• Like 1

ooh, more stringy things - I'm in, even though it's bigger than I prefer for myself!

The .1mm drill bit won't last long. I'd go for .3 when you find you need a replacement! (guess how I know)

Ian

• Like 1

This is coming on well. I agree with Stever219 about colours - I sometimes wonder about those in our fraternity who argue about minute variations in shades and hues..... colours vary for a huge number of reasons, many of which we know little or nothing about. Paint it a close to the colour that you think that it is and let others worry whether you have it right or not. At the moment this is turning into a really good model - I am just waiting to see how you get on with the rigging, and am wishing you all the best for the process. Just remember that it will be fine - eventually!

P

• Like 1

A fair bit of progress today, first off, I sprayed the underside of the fuselage with Vallejo model air Beige.

35506748155_b3d4544a18_z.jpgWP_20170624_16_28_39_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

While that was drying I set about the taped ends of the wing struts.

35506750075_8d279ba575_z.jpgWP_20170624_15_44_05_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

Then a few more bits and bobs.

35506746725_680ff6e1db_z.jpgWP_20170624_16_37_48_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

Then at the end of the day I was able to get the nose painted. I finally chose Vallejo Model air cement gray, I'm more than happy with the colour.

34665584974_d66b779595_z.jpgWP_20170624_17_06_19_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

I'm hoping to get the rest of the fuselage painted tomorrow.

• Like 6

That grey looks spot on. I look forward to seeing how you get on with the turnbuckles. And +1 about the smaller drill bits. I buy my .2mm bits in batches of 10 and I'm definitely a repeat customer!

Regards,

Adrian 

• Like 1

well the first test hole with the 0.1mm drill bit was also its' last, so i'm moving up to 0.3mm twist drills now. It shouldn't hold me up waiting for them, as there is plenty of paint to go on before I'm in a position to start fitting eyelets

• Like 2

I've managed to get the rear section of the fuselage done this morning. I've left the central panel till last as I wanted to get the grey line between the panel & the rear & decided that painting it by hand & then masking was the way to go, but not by masking a tiny strip & doing it all in one go.

The brown colour is actually Vallejo model air olive drab - I bought it originally for Sally-B, but was disappointed at the time that it was brown & not green, it looks just right for this one.

Once the paint was touch-dry I also fitted the wooden thingy for the rear gunner - a very tight fit.

I'll let the paint harden & have a go at the central panel later this afternoon.

35135998250_2825ddf040_z.jpgWP_20170625_12_05_12_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

• Like 6

Lovely bit of painting there Andy. The brown for the PC 10 looks just right to me too (for what that is worth?). The grey of the nos is also very good. Best of luck with the rigging - never an easy part to do but always worthwhile in the end.

P

• Like 1

so I did the central panel - i'm well chuffed with the grey line demarking the panel from the rear, not so chuffed with the age-old Vallejo trick of peeling the paint off with the masking tape. It's no disaster - just needs some careful & very gentle airbrushing, but that'll have to wait till another day, it's time to be sociable with the rest of the family...

35357274712_b8d9e2aba4_z.jpgWP_20170625_14_33_09_Pro_LI by Andy Moore, on Flickr

• Like 2