1/72nd Special Hobby Fairey Barracuda Mk.II, 847 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1944.

Hiya Folks,

Here is my rendition of the new Special Hobby 1/72nd Barracuda Mk.II which is an excellent little kit and much better than the original kit by this manufacturer. The cockpit detail is much improved and the detail everywhere is also better but I thought that the propeller blades were a little too short and so replaced them with a set left over from an old Frog Barracuda kit. I would have liked the canopy to be separate to show off the excellent interior but that is not the case,....however I did remove the pilots canopy and added two triangular windows from clear plastic were added to the rear of the windscreen. The kit decal options are good, but for my first one I chose to replicate an aircraft from 847 NAS which appears on pg 325 of the 1st edition of Air Britains Sqns of the FAA by Ray Sturtivant,.... decals by Xtradecal.

DSCF0564DSCF0577DSCF0578DSCF0539DSCF0571DSCF0576DSCF0572

As usual the model was brush painted and I cannot wait to make another one,....... well done Special Hobby on revisiting an old favourite,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 56

Hello Tony,

Excellent build. Also good to hear that the model is well manufactured.

Regards, Orion

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words folks, glad you like it.

1 hour ago, camper1 said:

Another one for the display cabinet, any room left in it Tony?

Cheers

Ian

No mate,..... totally chokker,....... might have to move some out!

Cheers

Tony

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

Nice that Tony, a beaut job on one of my favourite aeroplanes, I really must do something 'bout laying one or two of these in. :)

Steve.

Cheers Steve,...... it is quite a cheap kit and well worth the money,...... but just check out the propeller blades as they look a bit short to me,

All the best mate,

Tony

• Like 1

That looks really excellent Tony. Another cracking build :thumbsup: .

I love my (started long ago) Frog, but I feel it may be time for the Special Hobby kit.

At least the propeller will be useful :D!

Superb paintwork as always.
:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Tony,

That's one beautiful flying fish! You nailed the TSS, too! I would not have guessed it was brush-painted if you hadn't mentioned it! Boy, howdy, as we say here in Texas!

Mike

• Like 1

Cheers everybody,..... thanks for your kind words.

1 hour ago, Darby said:

Splendid job on a munt of a plane. I had an horrific time with their '48 one a few years ago and binned it with great aplomb. How did the '72 build?

Thanks Darby,....... yeah it went together really well and the interior was superb,just the small prop was a problem. I`ve built a couple of the 48th ones too,...... didn`t find them too bad myself, much better than the Sierra vacuformed one that I had built previously,..... maybe you just got unlucky? 

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, styreno said:

Very nice Tony.

Are the yagi aerials plastic or photo-etch?

KE

Cheers,.....everything in the kit is plastic, no etched metal in it at all. This is probably why it is so reasonable at arounfd £14.

Tony