ETPS Hunter

Selwyn

Refurbishing an old kit in this  light aircraft grey/ red scheme

3rd picture down F6 XF375 ;

http://sg-etuo.de/Visiting-Aircraft/RAF-ETPS

Not sure about the areas of red on the wingtips, top seems straightforward but  under surfaces less so, and my references don't show  any pictures. Can anyone confirm the red is just on the wingtips on the bottom surface? Also what was the presentation of the registration under the wings? one line or two lines?(letters above numbers).

Selwyn

XF375 isn't showing underwing in this shot, but XE587 in a similar scheme seems to show a basic repeat of the top surface with the two line serial presentation.

1e46191a523f5165d53b66f64c7b4ce8.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5

Cheers guys, just what I was looking for.

I will probably depict  "587" as I was wondering what the badge was on the nose and how to replicate it,  but 587 doesn't have it so problem solved!

Selwyn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've not seen Hunters in this scheme before, I like it, It's created a rather large "want" - for Revell to re-release their Hunter F.6. :)

Steve.

T.7s XL564 and XL616 also wore that scheme.

4 hours ago, T7 Models said:

There is of course no such thing as a Hunter with a bad paint scheme.

You'll not get any argument from me, but I think some of the civvie schemes got some people a bit hot under the collar!

@Selwyn, I believe that's the ETPS badge, unsure if it comes in any decal sets or not.  

XF375 is preserved in the earlier ETPS scheme at Old Sarum with this motif.

34452163183_722f7769d4_c.jpgHunter F.6 XF375 6 ETPS early scheme by James Thomas, on Flickr

and the ETPS motif, etps-empire-test-pilots-school-on-nose-o

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Selwyn

I took some photos of XF375 recently at the small museum at Boscomb Down (Old Sarum) - but in a different colour scheme.

All red fuselage and wings with a white spine.

Dunno if it's authentic (the website says it is restored to its original colours)  - but I also took a close up of the ETPS badge - shout if you want me to post them.

Ken

The badge on the nose is that of the Royal Aircraft Establishment and is also used by ETPS.  On the decal sheet for Modeldecal 79 there are four copies of this badge, two each on the RAE Hunter and two on the ETPS Gazelle.  This decal sheet also has the markings for the Dakota C3 that took part in the IAT Show at Fairford in 1985. 

Robin. 

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

The RAE and ETPS motifs/badges are quite different from each other.

Quite correct.  I should have remembered that, as I was stationed at Farnborough in the RAF in the early 60s.  Sorry for the error.

• Like 1

Hi 71.

Yes, they were interesting times.  As I was one of the last National Servicemen to enter the RAF, I was just filling in time before my 2 years were up, and in early 1961 I was attached to the Institute of Aviation Medicine for three months.  There were many interesting aircraft flying in and out, including an all white Vulcan which was parked outside of the unit most of the time, a lot of the aircraft were new new types which were used by ETPS.  We also had a Hastings that we used to move equipment, I will never forget the angle of the fuselage when it was parked on the ground, the climb up to the nose when we were loading it was like going up Snowdon.  We had a Canberra B2/T4 on the Flight that was used for experimental and high altitude flying. I think it was WH854.   One week-end I was going home on leave up to Lancashire, and so I asked if there were any aircraft  flying that day, and they offered me a flight up to RAF Warton, of course I had to do the ejector seat training and go through the High Altitude Chamber to feel the effects of anoxia.  The Canberra was not a nice aircraft to fly in, after crawling back to the two seats behind the pilot, I strapped into the ejector seat next to the Navigator, there was nothing to see, as the only window was a small square piece of glass above my head.  After a quick flight up the West coast we were over the Ribble Estuary and touching down at Warton, not the most memorable of flights, however it was an experience not to be forgotten.  

Edited by Robin
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Welwyn- Isn't that a garden city?

Its 48th by the way.

SELWYN!

Sorry it's that bloody autocorrect doo-doo!

8 hours ago, andyf117 said:

To each his own, but I find both of these eminently preferable to the overly gaudy, 80s legwarmer-ish Miss Demeanour. 

*donning flameproof suit* 

Cheers,

Andre 

On 11/06/2017 at 9:59 PM, 71chally said:

XF375 isn't showing underwing in this shot, but XE587 in a similar scheme seems to show a basic repeat of the top surface with the two line serial presentation.

1e46191a523f5165d53b66f64c7b4ce8.jpg

That's a bit of a revealing photo! I modelled XF375 several years ago like this, but I will have to repaint the wingtips now :

IMG_4832.jpg~original

• Like 1