Seasprite -2F to -2G Conversion: more "white stuff"

DMC

This was meant to be just a salvage job but the more pictures of the SH-2G I look at the more bits I'm inclined to want to add to it.  The SH-2G(1) has these stub wings (correction?) that seem to be for the purpose of carrying missiles, the latest being the Penguin which is an anti-ship missile developed for use on Lamps lll helos.  I used the clay mould and plunge method again to make two halves which I cemented together, and using a balsa mock-up as a guide, trimmed the wing to fit the fuselage.  I had no plans so the width and thickness were just eyeball guesses.  Pretty close I think, however, but the method of attaching to the fuselage is unclear to me so that to will be just a guess.  Penguin missiles look pretty simple so I should be able to knock a couple together without too much trouble.

Thanks for looking.

Dennis

78fcae8d-3383-4e8f-87bf-acf4878ecf6a.JPG

• Like 4

Finished one of the stump wings and hard points.  looks okay for size and angle.  Whenever I look at a photo of a -G(1) with these wings I am reminded of the crane pose in the Karate Kid. 

(Email has crashed and no amount of effort can bring it back. Bother!)

Dennis

74e70b78-2ad2-4391-8069-3de388f32731.JPG

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This build gets better and better, the workmanship is first class.

Martian

Thank you, Martian, peddling hard to keep up.

Dennis

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Neat work, the old Aifix kit is still good today. I do like your work on the 'Dog House' and engine nacells.

Colin

Thank you, Colin.  Still good indeed, some very fine detail work on the fiddly bits.  Time for a re-issue I think.

Dennis

Hi Dennis, no time for three new kits the single engined version the F and the G... The Kittyhawk kit whilst good is not one thing nor another. Kitthawk trying to be too clever!!!

Colin

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Dennis, no time for three new kits the single engined version the F and the G... The Kittyhawk kit whilst good is not one thing nor another. Kitthawk trying to be too clever!!!

Colin

Not interested in the Kittyhawk kit, too many negative reviews.  Looks a bit of a rush job to me, pity, really, could have been good.  I have another Airfix kit and the Matchbox one.  I like the Matchbox kit but it needs a few rivets and a little scratch work.  I've practically memorized Crisp's rivet work on his SH-3 but I don't think I'm ready to rivet the Matchbox kit yet.  Maybe someday.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the starboard stub wing on the -2G and added a few more bits.  That device in back of the doghouse should have a disc of some shape on top but I'm not sure if it should be round or oblong, or what. still looking for a photo that will explain all.

Did a little work on the -2F. The intakes looked a unfinished so I made up a new set.  Also, the kit exhaust is flush in the pod but should protrude a little.  A little surgery will fix that.

Looking for a Loach on eBay I found this and couldn't resist it.  Looks like an ASW fairground ride.

Cheers,

Dennis

f6e95d06-4295-4292-8d34-09062d324f53.JPG98d94e56-03a0-41a5-8dd2-cde9e5bcaa7e.JPGb78da054-5d42-434b-9e85-2e2f5ff2cbd5.JPG

• Like 4

After Martian mentioned Little Cars lenses on his ...Dorman thread I ordered a selection from Modelling Tools.  Both the -2F and -2G have three large lamps in the nose cap and these lenses looked just the thing for the -2F and -2G that I've been working on.  the bumpy bit of styrene is a scrap from a previous vacuum forming mould.  I shaved a couple of the bumps off and cemented them behind holes I had drilled in a spare nose cap that I had plunge moulded.  The bezels are just slices of tubing drilled out to the sizes of the lenses.  A dab of Vallejo aluminium did for the reflective backs.  The lens on the left is 2mm, the one on the right is 2.5mm.  2mm is about 6" scale and I'm guessing that's about the diameter of the 1:1 lens.  This was just a trail run but I think it came out ok.  These lenses are very nice but they are also prime Carpet Monster food.  Drop one and forget ever seeing it again.

Cheers,

Dennis

1d9582a5-9fd1-48ca-a765-1325f929cea1.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Dennis,

all that white stuff, from the interior to the engine area is really an exemple of great scratching!!! I like the vacformed parts and those car lights do their job perfectly.

Once painted the whole frame looks great!!!

Well done!

looking forward for your next update!

Ciao

Massimo

Looking good Dennis. Yes, re the Kittyhawk kit, it's a bit like a jigsaw with a couple of the corner pieces missing! I may just go for the G version... the Panther on the other hand is a good kit.

Colin

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, heloman1 said:

Looking good Dennis. Yes, re the Kittyhawk kit, it's a bit like a jigsaw with a couple of the corner pieces missing! I may just go for the G version... the Panther on the other hand is a good kit.

Colin

Thank you, Colin.  As mentioned, I have the Matchbox -2f and have been tempted to start converting it to a -2G but it's a little too "bald" for my tastes so would need a few rivets.  Anyway, I really prefer the -2F for the colour scheme so would probably leave it as a foxtrot. 

Dennis

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:47 PM, Martian Hale said:

The landing lights certainly look the part!

Martian

Thank you, Martian.  Down to you for bringing them to my attention.

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

A little more "white stuff", Massimo.  Almost finished with it now and needing a coat of primer to pull it all together. Cranked up the compressor and limbered up the airbrush for the first time in months.  Mistakes a plenty with this conversion as I learned more about the SH-2G as I went along.  Oh well...

Dennis

fe660150-4438-4839-a6aa-51eaf5b0917c.JPG

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Beautiful work! Its almost a shame to cover it paint.

Martian

Why thank you, Martian.  Missed you presence here on BM.   Sorry to read about your tentacle but surly you have three or four to spare?

Dennis

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Why thank you, Martian.  Missed you presence here on BM.   Sorry to read about your tentacle but surly you have three or four to spare?

Dennis

Sadly pain does not make for good concentration. I would shed the damaged tentacle and grow a new one but there is not sufficient time for that before Telford.

Martian

10 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Sadly pain does not make for good concentration

True enough, Martian.  A speedy recovery, then.

Dennis

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

This is a great thread with some great work!

Martin

Thank you, Martin, pleased you are enjoying it.

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

This is looking really good Dennis, I've got an Airfix kit & the Top Gun conversion but still a lot of work to do looking at yours. I'm finding this build helpful & inspirational. :)

Steve.

Excellent, Steve, would like to see a WIP on your build.  I've a few things to add to the thread.  Long range tanks (one anyway) can be made by splicing the gate(?) from the spru tree between the tank ends. It's a perfect fit and can be smoothed out by chucking it in a drill and filing or sanding it. The -2G didn't have the covers or "pants" on the landing gear.  I ground the cover off of the kit gear but it was very fragile and I broke it .  Not sure what I'm going to do about that little problem yet but I'll come up with something.

The "smokes" on the -2f and most of the -2Gs where up front but on this particular mark of the -2G they were rearward in that box like affair with the holes in it.  I didn't know that until I'd cemented the fairings on.  Now having to, carefully,  plug them up.  Also, should have trimmed off the lower part of the gear cover as that was removed along with the cover itself.

Interestingly, Airfix probably took the measurements for the kit off of BUNO # 151327, which was an HU2K-1, single turbine, converted to a twin SH-2F.  Probably hadn't started removing them yet, that's why there are covers on the kit's gear.  Or, maybe they realized the gears would be too fragile without  the covers.

Dennis

8b45890c-ccf8-4e14-b531-f538928bfcf4.JPG

5a133e0b-afeb-4394-b74d-6b3915f4679e.JPG

• Like 3