S-3 Armament

goon

Hi all,

I'm building a 1/48 S-3B Viking, taking part in Operation Enduring Freedom in 2002. The markings are for VS-33 Screwbirds. I don't know a lot about the Viking, and am looking for some suggestions for what to put under the wings. Any idea how they were armed during this time?

Many thanks.

Gareth

42 minutes ago, goon said:

Hi all,

I'm building a 1/48 S-3B Viking, taking part in Operation Enduring Freedom in 2002. The markings are for VS-33 Screwbirds. I don't know a lot about the Viking, and am looking for some suggestions for what to put under the wings. Any idea how they were armed during this time?

Many thanks.

Gareth

The S-3B was almost always used as a tanker so one wing pylon would carry a refuelling pod  http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/wp48132.html , the aircraft could operate in a swing role so the other pylon could carry a TER with Mk20 or Mk82.Alternatively an AGM-65 Maverick on an LAU-117 rail could be mounted there.

During the 2002 time period I would guess that it would be mainly tanker duties that would be the main duty . 

Yeah, sorry, user error. Could a mod. move this for me please?

Thanks Stephen, useful information.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

Don't you mean LANTIRN pod? 

you are off course right!

brain laps on my side..... sorry!

what is the difference modelling wise for an early Litening vs the Lantirn targeting pod? 

AN/AAQ-14 LANTIRN

AN/ AAQ-28 Litening

the air scoop seems to have a different shape, what else?

Edited by exdraken

I did read in "U.S. Aircraft & Weapons of Operation Iraqi Freedom" published by Revell, the S-3B did fly a few combat missions but they were primarily used as tankers. Therefore you couldn't go wrong with a "boring" load out of refuelling pod on the port wing and fuel tank on the starboard wing. However I have seen a photo of an S-3 sat on the catapult with a maverick hanging off its starboard wing. 

1024px-thumbnail.jpg

I hope this helps you a little.

Here are a few more, a S-3B getting a load of ADM-141 TALDs which will be used as aerial targets for missile shoots:

041018-N-6213R-021.jpg

another one with a Maverick, and the buddy refueling pod:

040504-N-6278K-107.jpg

SLAM-ER:

040128-N-3986D-002.jpg

Jari

Thanks for all the replies, very useful. (Apologies for the delay responding, been away for a few days.)