Italeri Ford Transit Mk.2 LWB Chassis/cab conversion with Tipper Body 1/24

It's primer day, yeah! However when about ready to spray the cab I noticed the door handle which had room for improvement. Then I noticed the kit offering for the quarter lights is a decal - erm? Also the glazing has two tabs along the front and rear sides which protrude into the seen area - not ideal. Photo shows L/H door with remodelled handle and glazing tab recesses filled. I'm going to have to sort out some replacement glazing and the windows will probably end up being dropped at which time I'll add the quarter light upright. Back to the surgery...

133104.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. The primer coat highlighted a few areas that need refilling and priming. Hadn't really given much thought to final colours, although I did spot a BRS Truck Rental scheme on my searches.

I wonder what other bodies could be plonked on top of the LWB Chassis? If I recall someone posted about doing an Ambulance. :think:

Nice work so far!

As to other long wheel base twin wheel axle Transits there is a whole range including mini bus, dust cart(side loading tipper empty), flatbed recovery truck plus I seem to remember seeing a three axle fire engine along the lines of the Range Rover ones.

Looking forward to the next instalment

Roger

Thanks for the other variants Roger. The three axle version sounds very interesting.

Trial fitting of what I hope is the last piece in the puzzle, the extended exhaust. The kit silencers have been utilised but the voids have been filled, the yellow tube is a new centre section bent to go over the rear axle.

095045.jpg

• Like 3

On 08/08/2017 at 7:50 PM, mbdesignart said:

Does anyone else have that sinking feeling that vital parts have mysteriously been thrown away with the rubbish? Earlier today I hunted high and low for a set of wheel rims, I know I had bagged them and put them somewhere 'safe' but they had vanished. Time was a wasting and I needed to come up with a temporary solution which involved much tape and odd bits of scrap to enable me to progress. Halfway through the process I needed something else from the box of bits, moved the back end of the Transit Van shell out of the way and low and behold a bag of wheel rims! Grrr and other expletives.

I've done something very similar to this with and entire engine/gearbox assembly, I finished it then wrapped it up in tissue paper and put in a "safe" place only to lose it for 2 weeks then found it just after emailing for replacement parts. Like you there were many bad words that came from my mouth. 

Shaun 

• 3 weeks later...

All the bits are now back from the resin casters. Eagle eyed viewers will note the chassis and undercab floor are now split following advise on mould longevity and rubber density, and I thought it was just plastic modelling?!

Anyway some way of mating the two parts had to be devised and in the best tradition of keeping it simple a small rectangle of plasticard with double sided tape applied proved ideal. When attached [as per photos] this aligns the longitudinal rails perfectly enabling the two parts to be glued with CA. Some other components have also been attached to the chassis with a few more yet to add, and a bit of filling to the steps. Then it's the turn of the Tipper Body parts to be assembled.

091639.jpg

091703.jpg

091818.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nah, that's his posh Datsun in the next bay! :lol:

I wonder if Japanese cars were used on fleets back then, more like a Cortina?

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Some inspiring stuff here: impressed with your resin moulding ideas especially.

My dad used to drive a 'Noddy' for BRS - so yes do that one!

It's about the only tipper I could find with a decent livery, thanks for the comments.

Whilst waiting for some filler to dry I couldn't sit idle and the Tipper body got started. I decided to add the hinge pins to the tailgate, fortunately the 3D printed hinges I produced had holes in which made for easier drilling and insertion of a small length of plastic rod. I've also included a close up of the dropside locks, really impressed with the casting detail that Phil Edwards achieves as these were integral to the side panels.  More progress photos to follow.

110731.jpg  110818.jpg

112220.jpg

• Like 3

Propshaft and other ancillary bits up next, once I find the correct reference photo!

The two sections that make up the rear have now been replaced by one length of 2.5mm dia. tube with the joints having some CF pins inserted to sleeve into the tube at either end. [Discarded resin rods in the foreground] As the joints are slightly kinked this will allow for turning the ends to align the propshaft.

135233.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
wrong info + new photo
  • Like 2

Oh no not again! Just looking at the BRS photo prior to spraying some primer and recalling cleaning the kit wipers up last night something didn't ring true. LHD WIPERS!! Both lhd & rhd dashes are supplied in the kit so why not the wipers?

• Sad 1

I've been silently but surely following this progress and must say I am impressed by your craftsmanship.

Besides that this is a subject that stirs nostalgia in my young mind. It wasn't a pretty bus but it looked great nonetheless.

Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks Roy, I agree not a looker but because it was around everyday it does evoke memories, moreso for me as my brother had one as his business workhorse for a time.

A little more progress with the add-ons to the chassis. The fuel tank brackets are on and I've made the rubber step liners from 26mm long strips of black plasticard grooved with a P-Cutter - also hides the joint, yeah!. On the Chassis cab version I noticed that there is an additional leaf in the rear springs, more easily replicated to scale with a strip of plasticard than a cast-in version. The rear lamp brackets will be added once painted, these align with the rear tipper subframe/other body saddle mounts, about 4mm fwd from the end of the side rail. A feint pencil mark can be seen as an indication [photo top right]. Hopefully the chassis will be in primer by the end of tomorrow.

174036.jpg  173944.jpg

173909.jpg  173814.jpg

• Like 3

On 12 August 2017 at 12:01 PM, Hamden said:

Nice work so far!

As to other long wheel base twin wheel axle Transits there is a whole range including mini bus, dust cart(side loading tipper empty), flatbed recovery truck plus I seem to remember seeing a three axle fire engine along the lines of the Range Rover ones.

Looking forward to the next instalment

Roger

Hi Roger,

going back over 30 years, I seem to remember Truck Magazine did an 18 wheeler, based on a Ford Transit and called it something like Triple T? 

• Like 1

Marvellous work. The three D printed parts are amazing. I presume you had to supply CAD models for all of those? This is definitely something a bit different and fascinating to follow along. I'm not sure you have enough of those lights though!

16 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Marvellous work. The three D printed parts are amazing. I presume you had to supply CAD models for all of those? This is definitely something a bit different and fascinating to follow along. I'm not sure you have enough of those lights though!

Thanks Nigel. Yes to supplying CAD models, they don't print directly from thin air yet!;) Not sure I get your comment about the lights though?