Revell 1/32 Bf109G-6 JG300 "Red 8" Finished!! :)

galgos

If it's not too late I'd like to join in please.  I've never built a Bf109 and have little or no knowledge about them however I'm a great fan of Bf110s and of the Nachtjagd in particular.  So it makes sense to cut my teeth on a Bf109 from JG300, though I'll have to research details and colour schemes - from a quick browse I see some interesting ones.  The build will be OOB.

Max

• Like 5

Thanks V-P and Wayne.  It's been a while since I've been active on Britmodeller, so building a new type of aircraft for me in an STGB is an exciting prospect.  I hope to make a start during the upcoming week but in the meantime a snap of the box art:

MB6nxH.jpg

I've no idea about the accuracy or pedigree of this kit and right now ignorance is bliss because I don't want to get hung up on corrections etc., just enjoy the research, build and painting process!! 

Max

• Like 2

I knew I would, I'm already beginning to waiver on the OOB part of the build.....why do I always complicate matters for myself!! :huh:  I'm now contemplating using a spare engine and bearers from a Bf110E kit to fit into the Bf109!  I need to investigate the logistics of this first though......

Max

I'm feeling slightly frustrated because, although I've thought better of the open nose panels/engine route, I'm waiting for the AlleyCat resin upgrade stuff to arrive so I don't really want to get stuck into the actual build yet.  However, I do have Radu's wonderful Luftwaffe seatbelt set so I spent a couple of hours this morning studying the instructions (you can't take anything for granted with these!) and putting one of the lap straps together, pictures below:

iAHvqK.jpg

r3FHqX.jpg

wjjY7L.jpg

9CPxco.jpg

Having completed one I'm pretty confident the rest will be done in a fraction of the time, but I'll still be taking great care to follow the instructions!

Max

• Like 5

Not got a lot of hair to pull out George! No, they're fine as long as you take the time to study and understand the instructions, and then follow them meticulously. Once the set is together and lightly stained I think they'll look pretty good.

Max 

Seatbelts complete apart from a little "weathering":

elMKyX.jpg

I need to adjust the shoulder straps slightly so that they are the same length though I could probably lose the difference quite easily by careful arrangement on the seat!

Max

• Like 1

Trying to make a little progress with the cockpit but the instructions are fighting me!  If you like the "Where's Wally?" books you'll enjoy making this kit.  Not only are the individual parts in the assembly drawings not related in any way to the sprue that they are on, not only is there no coherent arrangement of parts on the sprue (i.e. all the cockpit parts on one sprue), but some part numbers in the drawings don't agree with the part numbers on the sprue!!!  I've just spent 5 minutes looking for part 10, allegedly the seat, but on oh, it's part 9!

T5sDnP.jpg

nHJCIk.jpg

GGrrrrrrrrr!! 

Max

• Like 1

The bits of the cockpit are ready to assemble, probably the hardest part of the build completed.

71RWun.jpg

The pilot and his crew man are getting ready to go.....

sWc9md.jpg

Max

• Like 3

Just a matter of patience Davey......I'm no musician though!

Final pic before the port side goes on:

xn62W8.jpg

Dry fitting, looks like a good fit.
ZmZjQJ.jpg

XkPZod.jpg

I'm securing the port and starboard nose panels in two, maybe three stages, initially glued at the nose but I'm about to do the middle and perhaps aft section.  I'm taking it easy because a tight fit is required and I don't want to have to sand too much; I'm aware that some the joins at the aft end are not on panel lines so filling is needed anyway - I want to make this as trouble-free as possible!

Max

• Like 3

Fuselage zipped up.  I have to say that I'm really impressed with this kit, its fit and the way that it's engineered - quite delightful to build (so far)!

JVojdX.jpg

Wheel wells boxed in and rads. fitted prior to shooting a little dark grey/black before the lower wing halves go on.

ovjWvL.jpg

Max

• Like 2

A superb value kit as well . Nice not to haave to make the difficult expose engine or not decission and keep the lines of the 109 all buttond up . The upper mid wing joints need some care to avoid a smidge of filler .

• Like 1

A less-than-perfect join, the upper nose cowl with the fuselage nose sides, the cowl being slightly too narrow for the whole of its length but most noticeably near the cockpit.  I've removed some of the unnecessary kit superstructure just forward of the IP, the 2 part plan being 1. to put a horizontal spacer inside the rear section of the cowl to spread it very slightly and 2. to gently squeeze the side panels to the width of the forward two-thirds of the cowl, hopefully achieving a flush-fitting side panel/cowl assembly for the whole of its length.

IbL2Fv.jpg

But she's coming on:

zC0ISL.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/10/2017 at 8:48 PM, galgos said:

If it's not too late I'd like to join in please.  I've never built a Bf109 and have little or no knowledge about them however I'm a great fan of Bf110s and of the Nachtjagd in particular.  So it makes sense to cut my teeth on a Bf109 from JG300, though I'll have to research details and colour schemes - from a quick browse I see some interesting ones.  The build will be OOB.

Max

Hi Max

..long time no speak. Here's a few JG 300 'wilde Sau' G-5/6 scheme options

G-5s 'white 1' and 'white 4' with Naxos 

Bf109clair.jpg

G-6 'white 7' of 1. Staffel with exhaust stack shroud  ( and possibly whistle)

Bf109Dieterle.jpg

Closer view of a JG 300 G-6 exhaust stack flame shroud with Eberspächer acoustic pipe or 'whistle' over the leading ejector. These ‘whistles’ provided an audible alarm signal to alert an airfield and its flak batteries that a wilde Sau night fighter was operating in the vicinity 

G6JG300unknownFB.jpg

G-6/R6 

Bf109JG300weisse8Hangelar.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you Steve and Neil.  I'm really enjoying building this kit, it's simple but interesting, perhaps the fact that I haven't built a 109 before is a factor?

Agreed it's been a long time Neil since we've chatted, thank you for posting those pictures of JG300 planes. I've got the EagleCals JG300 Part 1 decals though, since I'm doing the short tail version, I'm a little disappointed by the options.....neither particularly attract me.. The first is Red 6 of Fw Arnold Doring (I./JG300), very heavily mottled and oversprayed with black under parts, and the second is Red 8 of Oblt Kurt Gabler (III./JG300) which goes to the other extreme of essentially a natural metal finish, the paint being sanded off in a quest for speed. 

All options are still open! 

Regards

Max 

PS Neil, just caught up with your Blogspot thoughts on Gabler's Red 8, might well go for that one.

• Like 2

Following on from yesterday's conversation with Neil, "Red 8" it's going to be:

AygcLD.jpg

There is a degree of uncertainty about how much of the original camouflage was sanded off so I reckon that gives me a fair amount of artistic licence.  I mostly use Mr Paint which, though described as acrylic quite clearly isn't as far as the carrier medium is concerned because that's lacquer-based.  But they are beautifully fine and smooth to use straight from the bottle and I hope will be perfect for achieving the "remnants of colour" finish on this aircraft.  The main base will be anodised aluminium with some panels/areas in duraluminium of similar:
8nEP2i.jpg

• Like 1