Revell 1/32 Bf109G-6 JG300 "Red 8" Finished!! :)

galgos

Ha ha, I'm very lucky, we have a dedicated craft room where I do all my aircraft modelling and my wife sews and embroiders, a haven of peace and tranquility! 

dhyaEe.jpg

9dGRFC.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Plasto said:

While your sorting out the panel line on the cowl will you add in the  cowl panel lines on the ' Beule' ??

Get thee behind me Satan!!! :)  In truth I had clocked that there always seems to be quite a gap at the aft edge of the cowl through the Beulen, I'd contemplated running a fine razor saw down through them to try to create a "scale" gap.

On 05/07/2017 at 11:49, Tony Oliver said:

Hiya, good idea to practice on a hack.

I did this plane last year (1/48) but went for a black instead of red 8 as it looked more like a match for the pics, especially when the model is photo'd in B&W. 

It was recorded as being 'red 8' in Gabler's logbook,  the 'Black 8' confusion, see here

http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/kurt-gablers-jg300-bf-109g-6-natural.html

has some photos and discussion which maybe of use if you have not seen them Max.

HTH

T

• Like 1

Not perfect but better than the lines that were there previously, just have to redo the gun trough colour and consider the Beulen now!

rx626C.jpg

HLh40o.jpg

Thanks Troy, Neil's blog was one of my first references in my search for a suitable JG300 subject but I'd also bookmarked Tony's build because he seemed to get the sanded finish just right.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

It was recorded as being 'red 8' in Gabler's logbook,  the 'Black 8' confusion, see here

http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/kurt-gablers-jg300-bf-109g-6-natural.html

has some photos and discussion which maybe of use if you have not seen them Max.

HTH

T

Yeah I used that blog as reference for my build.

I did a black 8 cause it looks better in b&w photos of the model. 

Plus in the photo of the real thing - the supposed 'red' 8 is darker than the brick red fuselage band?

Have a look a the pic in my RFI, looks pretty close...

Unless there is some photography trickery going on in the way colours  react on b&w film?

Sorry to @galgos if this is sidetracked his wip. 

• Like 1

"In truth I had clocked that there always seems to be quite a gap at the aft edge of the cowl through the Beulen, I'd contemplated running a fine razor saw down through them to try to create a "scale" gap."

Belay that, on closer inspection what I thought was a gap is actually a seal running slightly proud of the cowling, Plan B then!

Max

No problem at all Tony, it's a subject of debate apropos to this build.  Black and white film does react to colour in funny ways, who'd believe this Battle was yellow and black?

CySreW.jpg

Max

30 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Sorry to @galgos if this is sidetracked his wip. 

If it's relevant to the build, or even of interest, I  think Max welcomes 'sidetracks'

29 minutes ago, galgos said:

"In truth I had clocked that there always seems to be quite a gap at the aft edge of the cowl through the Beulen, I'd contemplated running a fine razor saw down through them to try to create a "scale" gap."

Belay that, on closer inspection what I thought was a gap is actually a seal running slightly proud of the cowling, Plan B then!

Max

from the unrestored G-6 in  Australia

DSCN0044.jpg

01.jpg

full walkround here

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/163824/163824.htm

this is the very carefully restored  NASM G-6

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/160756/160756.htm

Finnish 109

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/165227/165227.htm

the other Finnish 109

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/167271/167271.htm

from the 109 Lair

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/index1024.htm

Hope of use Maxx, and if not, for anyone else reading.

cheers

T

• Like 1

All very much of use thanks Troy, I appreciate your posting the links.  As I mentioned at the start of the build this is my first Bf109 so I'm a real numpty when it comes to knowledge about them!  I guess the unrestored Aussie one is this one:

veXtyo.jpg

which is "flying over" the Lancaster?  I took this shot in 2010 when I visited the AWM, wonderful place.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, galgos said:

All very much of use thanks Troy, I appreciate your posting the links.  As I mentioned at the start of the build this is my first Bf109 so I'm a real numpty when it comes to knowledge about them!  I guess the unrestored Aussie one is this one:

Must be the same  109, thank goodness the value of it's original paint has not meant it was 'restored'  *

(there is a Me163 in  Australia that was in original paint and was 'restored' in the 70's  into a wrong grey  paint scheme...) 

As for 109's,  I had a mis-spent youth,  while  other 15/16 year old were doing normal teenage stuff I was pouring over John Beaman's 'Last of the Eagles' and the Monogram Close Up monographs,

(all of Monogram 's scanned here http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Monogram-Close-up)

and then I stopped being such a geek,  and in  the intervening years  I'm pleased to see a lot more info has emerged (have a look at the Bf109K book in the link to get an idea of what was available in the early 80's)  though  it has made the subject  more complex,  if slightly more logical (matching up paint schemes to factories etc ) 

But, yes, it's  certainly a learning curve! 

I notice the 'learning curve' most with areas I don't have some basic knowledge about these days,  but that what makes forums like this so useful,  the ability to  find someone who does know, and can explain it clearly.

Great work on the 109,  my pleasure if any info or links adds to your work..... neat hobby room too!

cheers

T

PS *  restoration horror  story...

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/610937/610937.htm

This walkaround is truly something special- Derek Brown had the opportunity to photograph the G-10s "restored" by Evergreen in Ft. Collins, CO throughout the entire process, and took maximum advantage of that chance.  The photographs of the fuselage wearing its original Yugoslavian AF markings are the only ones I've ever seen, and the color and detail information that can be gleaned from these shots is priceless.

One further point... take special note of the fuselage skin in the interior.  The factory stamping on the bare aluminum is bright and clear, and I've put up an enlarged scan so that most of the stamp is legible.  This, sadly, is the only documentation I am aware of for this feature as Evergreen stripped the skins off of the airframe without bothering to go through layers of paint to determine the original markings of the airframe, and promptly shipped them off to the local recycler.  I'll withhold further comment on that point.  :(

Edited by Troy Smith
add details
  • Like 1

Well it's been an interesting day model-wise with a little diversion thanks to Plasto!  But I have to agree that she looks so much better without that join.  Fitting the exhausts tomorrow perhaps.

xajJwW.jpg

• Like 2

Wing bulges?  Don't know nothing about those....should I do?  Are they relevant to an early G6, oh dear!!  And this started off as strictly OOB!

Thought you might have been winding me up Plasto!  I've used Roy Sutherland's wonderful upgrades on many kits in the past, and who knows, I might well build another Bf109!!

I've painted a couple of panels white aluminium just to add a little variety to the finish then sprayed lightly and fairly randomly with RLM 74 Graugrun on the wings and upper fuselage, next will be RLM 75 Grauviolet followed by a smidgeon of RLM 76 Lichtblau along the fuselage sides and lower surfaces all of which of course will be sanded back to almost nothingness:

ZYrilt.jpg

yjmH9f.jpg

• Like 1

Work in progress but she's getting there, very much the effect I'm hoping to achieve though I intend studying Neil's blog image of Red 8 more closely: 

OCp4YL.jpg

ZSOGhx.jpg

MT3I4C.jpg

• Like 8

A little more work, the upper half of the split flaps fitted and I've lightly re-sprayed some areas with the anodised aluminium where the sanding had taken this away too much:

iKy79I.jpg

pLfJnJ.jpg

Oh, and the red fuselage band added!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

looking very  smart Max,  we'll make a 109 nut of you yet  :evil_laugh:

I think I'm 90% there already Troy, and it's not too much of a shift from 110s to 109s!  Though 110s will always be my favourites.

I've been thinking about the best way of doing the faded swastika on the tail fin, I couldn't see that the decals would stand up to sanding so painted it had to be:

ZDjRkj.jpg

I quickly drew and cut some stencils on the Silhouette cutter:

M5Uk0e.jpg

Masked the fin:

ok80j4.jpg

Then sprayed lightly:

cOscBz.jpg

Half an hour's work from "Go to whoa!"  It will be sanded back once thoroughly dry.......

Which it has been, then lightly oversprayed with anodised aluminium:

MzUopN.jpg

TXrFt5.jpg

• Like 6