1/72 Matchbox Hurricane Mk.I Trop

Hi everyone,

Here is my Ready For Inspection for this little kit, it has taken me a while to get there but i finally finished the build and I have taken the time to get some decent photos of it.

The build thread can be found here and you are more than welcome to go and have a look at it.

I decided to pose this in flight so wanted to do something different to the usual hang it from the ceiling with cotton thread, so I made a little vignette base and popped the Hurricane on some acrylic rod. 

I am quite happy with the end result even though it is far from perfect. The paints used were a combination of xtracrylix and vallejo model air. I use some aftermarket decals from xtraddecal and I used some oils for a pin wash and also some Flory Models grime wash.

Anyway that is enough waffle from me here are the photos:

34832923140_aeaf3d53b8_b.jpg1/72 Matchbox Huricane Mk.1 photo 4 by Neal, on Flickr

34832934350_06e4deaf29_b.jpg1/72 Matchbox Huricane Mk.1 photo 5 by Neal, on Flickr

35054497712_91ba878998_b.jpg1/72 Matchbox Huricane Mk.1 photo 8 by Neal, on Flickr

35219792795_39637b4ff7_b.jpg1/72 Matchbox Huricane Mk.1 photo 10 by Neal, on Flickr

34832990200_ed1f35c0a5_b.jpg1/72 Matchbox Huricane Mk.1 photo 13 by Neal, on Flickr

35090085651_5dfea180a0_b.jpg1/72 Matchbox Huricane Mk.1 photo 14 by Neal, on Flickr

35090087941_0e5c0e0b98_b.jpg1/72 Matchbox Huricane Mk.1 photo 15 by Neal, on Flickr

Please feel free to give me your opinion and what could be improved.

Thanks for looking.

Neal

• Like 34

Hi Neal

ironically, even though in your WIP you mentioned that you were not bothered the kit is a Mk.IIc,  the serial you have picked, BG707, was infact a Mk.IIb,  not a Mk.I,  so you  are closer  than you  think! 

Very dramatic presentation,  has come very well.

cheers

T

7 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Neal

ironically, even though in your WIP you mentioned that you were not bothered the kit is a Mk.IIc,  the serial you have picked, BG707, was infact a Mk.IIb,  not a Mk.I,  so you  are closer  than you  think! 

Very dramatic presentation,  has come very well.

cheers

T

Interesting, it would seem that Model Art Decals System got their research wrong then as they specify that BG707 is a Mk.1. scalmates show it that way too. Oh well so long it looks ok I'm happy either way!

Block 4/G, Fourth Gloster Produced Block
Serial Range BG674 - BG723 (50), BG737 - BG771 (35), BG783 - BG832 (50), BG844 - BG888 (45), BG901 - BG920 (20), BG933 - BG977 (45), BG990 - BG999 (10), BH115 - BH154 (40), BH167 - BH201 (35), BH215 - BH264 (50), BH277 - BH296 (20), BH312 - BH361 (50) Total 450

The fourth production block manufactured by Gloster Aircraft Limited at Brockworth, Gloucestershire. Powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin XX engines. The aircraft were delivered between September, 1941 and December, 1941. The average rate of production was 4-5 aircraft per day.

the photo of BG707 is on page 87 of Hurricane at  War 2

the  rest of the sheet are Mk.I's

• Like 1

Hi Neal,

I like the way you've displayed the Hurricane  – a very nice model with a nice base.

May I ask how you bent the perspex/acrylic rod without it crazing? Did you apply heat and bend (I did check the WIP)?

Many thanks,

David

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Hi Neal,

I like the way you've displayed the Hurricane  – a very nice model with a nice base.

May I ask how you bent the perspex/acrylic rod without it crazing? Did you apply heat and bend (I did check the WIP)?

Many thanks,

David

Sorry i didn't include that in the WIP, it is a very simple operation. I used the oven heated to about 120-150°C, I placed the rod on a old teatowel and put that on a old baking tray. I then popped it in for about 5 minutes or so, then straight out and onto a chopping board where i used a bowl as a template to get the bend.

I hope that makes sense for you.

Neal

• Like 2

Hi Neal,

Thanks for the method. Is that temperature hot enough for the rod to droop/bend with its own weight, or do you still need to force it?

I have a few lengths of rod with varying width, so I'll have to experiment a bit.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

I had no problems at all it was easy to bend, if you can get the rod to be propped up against one side of the tray then you'll see when it starts to sag at that moment it is good to bend. And I forgot a good pair of gloves is recommended as it is bloody well hot!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NealParkes said:

I had no problems at all it was easy to bend, if you can get the rod to be propped up against one side of the tray then you'll see when it starts to sag at that moment it is good to bend. And I forgot a good pair of gloves is recommended as it is bloody well hot!

Thanks for the clarification/warning. Will have to give it a try.

D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Model aircraft diorama 😏 of the month, really great looking and interesting 😊

I don't think it is that worthy in my opinion, but thank you so much for the nice comment!! It is very much appreciated.

Neal

• Like 1

Thank you all for the very kind feedback, I must say I did not expect so many positive comments, I'm really chuffed! Hopefully my next build will be even better.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-6-11 at 12:53, Darby said:

Who cares what mark/serial it is? It's a Matchbox kit and it scrubbed up well.

2 hours ago, old thumper said:

Exactly and it is always great to see a nice bit of Matchbox.

First - I do, the poor old Hurricane  suffers from 'not being a Spitfire'  and if you painted up a Spitfire IX in BoB markings  and hadn't done it as one from  the film you'd have lots of head shaking.   Why shouldn't the Hurricane get similar  respect (or more!) 

Second -  I  though Neal maybe interested to  know by happenstance that he'd got closer than he thought :)

Third - that the decal manufacturer has made an  error.  

I'd have still thought it was a great bit of creative modelling if he'd picked one of the other 3 schemes on the sheet which are Mk.I's,  and not made the other comments,  which were made for the above reasons,  and perhaps will be of interest and use to other members.

made me look at the model again as well, still bloomin' great! 

• Like 2