Rigging Hell it's The Bloody Paryliser!!! Handley Page 0/400 1/72

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Mr. Lazy Muddler here would definitely vote for the leave them out option! And would you really want to be inverting a fully rigged biplane this big just to peer into the bomb cells...?! :unsure: :fraidnot:

Can I add to the chorus of 'well dones' on the wing ribs - vast improvement Johnny, very nicely done ! :thumbsup:

Keith

I'm beginning to agree with you there. But yellow bombs. :hmmm:

Chaz Bowyers book Handley Page Bombers of WW1 describes the spring loaded trap doors, sorry can't post text due to using I phone and being a muppet when it comes to inserting things I haven't saved to Photobucket.

Have  you noticed that your crash photo shows 16 cells and the kit has 15? The Airfix build article I mentioned before shows the author binning the kit part and cutting a new one with the correct cells.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Just found this in my ref book.

D540CE54-8066-403E-BC8F-11BF1E8B0B8A_zps

and

C1853E56-A09D-42D7-9977-0620B1484D17_zps

so it looks like @Selwyn

was right about the 1200 lb bomb. 

However it looks like the release mechanism was a spring locking arm and not a trap door so you can see inside. Due to this turning into a bit of pain and due to the fact my aeroplane wouldn't have been loaded I might just leave them off and save myself the heart ache.

what do you think?

All the best and thanks for your help.

Johnny.

Not quite right,  if you read it carefully  the Arming vane was prevented from revolving by a spring locking arm, the bomb (112LB not 1200Lb by the way) was held in by another means. I will have a look to see if I have any stuff in my references to say what retained the bombs.

Selwyn

• Like 2

I tend to agree that worrying about 15 or 16 holes in the bomb cover is not that important because it is very doubtful whether anyone would notice (or know). Well I would write that wouldn't I because I did not bother to change that on mine!

I put the bombs on the ground under the bomb cells as though they were placed there ready to load. They would have been brought on small wooden stretchers or sleds: I have not seen any photos of carts being used, but that does not mean that they were not used on some airfields. I suspect that a little modeller's license would not go amiss.....

What you have done so far is very good indeed - remember to get the internal details properly aligned before you assemble the fuselage, especially the fuel tanks or the structure will not be square.

P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

But yellow bombs. :hmmm:

Lying on the ground waiting to be loaded? Did they have bomb trolleys back then?

I've done a bit of research, and several drawings and paintings, of the Short 184 seaplanes, esp those doing anti-submarine patrols out of Newlyn/ Land's End. This concrete plinth features in some of the photos:-

IMG_20170623_225943

Detail:-

IMG_20170623_225958

The image is from direct photo references rather than something I just made up.

Haven't come across anything actually carrying or manhandling the Bombs.

You've an option to leave the plane intact, and make a wee yellow/mustard bomb dispersal plinth to pose along side .

That nose over photo really brings home the size of this thing, eh?

• Like 6

Hello Spad,

I can understand the temptation of "nice" custard bombs, but will bring you a lot of more work for an artistic license.

Since the marking you choose did'nt carry it...

I also vote for a no bomb building, now, it is up to you.

For the rigging of the interior, I tend to use very fine copper wire from a telephone line, Damned ! time to make a stock of it because optical fiber did'nt make it :huh:

I agree with all the friends here for the wing, very fine job. :yes::clap2:

Have a nice modelling day !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

A no bombs vote from the Frostie muncher.

It keeps it true to the marking scheme. Nice and peaceful after the madness of war :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Custard....

Simon.

I know, right. :lol::giles:

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lying on the ground waiting to be loaded? Did they have bomb trolleys back then?

K

Hmmmm:hmmm:

13 hours ago, bristol boy said:

Chaz Bowyers book Handley Page Bombers of WW1 describes the spring loaded trap doors, sorry can't post text due to using I phone and being a muppet when it comes to inserting things I haven't saved to Photobucket.

Have  you noticed that your crash photo shows 16 cells and the kit has 15? The Airfix build article I mentioned before shows the author binning the kit part and cutting a new one with the correct cells.

Even though I know about this it never sunk in. Well blow me down only 15. Right then. Hmmmm.

13 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Not quite right,  if you read it carefully  the Arming vane was prevented from revolving by a spring locking arm, the bomb (112LB not 1200Lb by the way) was held in by another means. I will have a look to see if I have any stuff in my references to say what retained the bombs.

Selwyn

Ok, I see. Yes sorry Butter fingers on my side there. I had wine.:blush:

12 hours ago, pheonix said:

I tend to agree that worrying about 15 or 16 holes in the bomb cover is not that important because it is very doubtful whether anyone would notice (or know). Well I would write that wouldn't I because I did not bother to change that on mine!

I put the bombs on the ground under the bomb cells as though they were placed there ready to load. They would have been brought on small wooden stretchers or sleds: I have not seen any photos of carts being used, but that does not mean that they were not used on some airfields. I suspect that a little modeller's license would not go amiss.....

What you have done so far is very good indeed - remember to get the internal details properly aligned before you assemble the fuselage, especially the fuel tanks or the structure will not be square.

P

Thanks for the tips. Will do.

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I've done a bit of research, and several drawings and paintings, of the Short 184 seaplanes, esp those doing anti-submarine patrols out of Newlyn/ Land's End. This concrete plinth features in some of the photos:-

IMG_20170623_225943

Detail:-

IMG_20170623_225958

The image is from direct photo references rather than something I just made up.

Haven't come across anything actually carrying or manhandling the Bombs.

You've an option to leave the plane intact, and make a wee yellow/mustard bomb dispersal plinth to pose along side .

That nose over photo really brings home the size of this thing, eh?

Thanks for the heads up. Great drawing by the way. Lovely pencil work sir.

10 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

I can understand the temptation of "nice" custard bombs, but will bring you a lot of more work for an artistic license.

Since the marking you choose did'nt carry it...

I also vote for a no bomb building, now, it is up to you.

For the rigging of the interior, I tend to use very fine copper wire from a telephone line, Damned ! time to make a stock of it because optical fiber did'nt make it :huh:

I agree with all the friends here for the wing, very fine job. :yes::clap2:

Have a nice modelling day !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks C and cheers for the wire tip.

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

A no bombs vote from the Frostie muncher.

It keeps it true to the marking scheme. Nice and peaceful after the madness of war :).

Best regards

TonyT

You know what. I like what you just wrote.

No bombs it is. I'll fix the cell holes and leave her "peaceful after the madness of war". :)

Jont

• Like 6

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

IMG_20170623_225943

Stunning drawing; well done, Sir!  I love the 184, for some reason; I wish WNW would stop farting about with Fokkers (or is it fokking about with Farters?) and get onto 184s and 1½ Strutters!

• Like 5

Ok ok. I think I've solved the mystery.

i just went to look at the kit parts.

022E47FF-3482-49EE-A3E3-4CC5B123F677_zpsu6puuqff

There are 16 holes on the lower part but 15 on the upper part. The bombs however are suspended from the little holes in between bigger holes. (As in whhhowwlls) 

furthermore you only get 8 bombs anyway which means the other 8 should be attached to the middle parts either side of the little holes if you catch my drift.

:frantic: so even if I did make 8 new bombs and fix the other bombs I've checked and they don't line up anyway so the decision stands, Thanks @TonyTiger66 for the quote. Sans bombs it is. :phew:

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 8

Another quickie my helpful chums.

as for the inside colour. I'm gleaning from my source material that most if not all the frame work is wood with some metal pipe, looks black. I was going to do the cloth off white. Airfix says olive drab like the outside but everything I've found looks like a lighter colour. Pre paint?

does any one know owt about this?

Thanks guys.

Johnny.:giles:

• Like 1

I have a picture somewhere of the spring loaded doors locked in the open position (a leather strap was used so that two doors were pulling against each other. It may well be that some machines, such as the one in your photo had the doors removed. What I did on my model was to get a square of plastic card the right size to cover the bomb bay area and scribed the doors on it.

Martian 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I have a picture somewhere of the spring loaded doors locked in the open position (a leather strap was used so that two doors were pulling against each other. It may well be that some machines, such as the one in your photo had the doors removed. What I did on my model was to get a square of plastic card the right size to cover the bomb bay area and scribed the doors on it.

Martian 

Ok cool. Thanks Mr M, other options are always good. :giles:

• Like 1

On 24/06/2017 at 7:12 PM, The Spadgent said:

Thanks @TonyTiger66 for the quote. Sans bombs it is. :phew:

Thanks Johnny :).

I had three Weetabix this morning. Always makes me philosophical :D.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Stunning drawing; well done, Sir!  I love the 184, for some reason; I wish WNW would stop farting about with Fokkers (or is it fokking about with Farters?) and get onto 184s and 1½ Strutters!

Here's one I prepared earlier. The lovely Aeroclub 1:72 kit.

Ian

• Like 6

On 24/06/2017 at 5:22 PM, limeypilot said:

Here's one I prepared earlier. The lovely Aeroclub 1:72 kit.

Ian

Wow.:clap2::analintruder: that's ace. Thanks for the share.

On 24/06/2017 at 6:50 PM, rob Lyttle said:

Wow, limey. That is a link worth following 

Sure is.

On 25/06/2017 at 6:19 PM, Nigel Heath said:

That's a great improvement on the wing ribs. 

Thanks.

I have all the wings out and ready for sanding but it's release week at work, I have a deadline for Friday and my better half turns 40 on Saturday and I have a lot of preparing to do. It's a slow few weeks for the old HP. Can't wait to get back to it. 

Sorry for the delay.

Jont.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

...but it's release week at work

Release week? What do you do Johnny? Hopefully not a prison guard. Or Zookeeper... :D

Wish Mrs Spad a Hippo Birdy for Saturday and, as it's a big birthday, make sure to lavish her with compliments and platitudes... I'm sure you will. "You don't look a day older than when I married you" usually works for me.

• Like 7

I totally agree with CedB, happy birthday to Mrs Spadgent

Sure you will prepare a very fine meal, with Champagne, candles and chocolate Delikatessen...

"You're still my sun, how should I've live without you, and so on...

Patience, patience, the Spad will be back soon with rigging....

OMG, I had another stupid irea, will not tell about it:sorry:

Have a very nice and romantic week end with Mrs Spad

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4