Rigging Hell it's The Bloody Paryliser!!! Handley Page 0/400 1/72

7 hours ago, bbudde said:

Of course this is excellent as it is by the master of Airfix  boxarts himself. Mr. Roy Cross. So many more thanks to him for this one than to me. Just found it somewhere. Cheers

Curious pencil line - or what appears to be a pencil line - around the O400...

Fantastic painting, though. Almost makes me wish that I had one. Almost. The Felixstowe F2A will do me - whenever I get to that.

Waiting with bated breath for the next installment, so no pressure Johnny ;).

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: wants to know how many birds you would catch per flight with that beast

• Like 1

On 24/08/2017 at 11:30 PM, Spookytooth said:

Great work John, you deserve a rest after that mate.

Simon.

Thanks! I had one for sure.:drink:

On 25/08/2017 at 1:21 AM, AlexN said:

Well done! Glad it's you and not me (and that I decided not to go near the Felixstowe for the floatplane GB).

Brings that rather draggy-looking tail area to life. Maybe they went netting for birds with it in their spare time.

I have to say that your paintwork really does give the impression of doped fabric. Thought that I was looking at said stuff on numerous occasions. Well done there, too!

Thanks on all counts. Yes lot of birds.:christmas:

On 25/08/2017 at 3:17 AM, Martian Hale said:

Its going fine, I told you it looks harder than it is!

Martian

Does it! :emo: 

only kidding, I think once you get the hang of it all you need is a job lot of bottled patience.  :drunk:

On 25/08/2017 at 4:56 AM, Bigdave22014 said:

Looking good Johnners.

The rigging on the ol' stringbag progresses well. Looks like we're using similar methods. 

Great minds etc....

Indeed. :rambo: looking forward to the fish.

On 25/08/2017 at 4:59 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

Looks great...drilldrill, thread thread, glue glue...Fun stuff!

It really is more lively!

Thanks! Isn't it just.

On 25/08/2017 at 7:50 AM, giemme said:

Doing great, Johnny! :clap::clap: Keep going :thumbsup:

Ciao

Cheeres.

On 25/08/2017 at 7:56 AM, CedB said:

Nice work Johnny, you're on a roll now :) 

Hope so. One week to go. :innocent:

23 hours ago, perdu said:

You Jonty are a magician

NO way could I get all those wires and wibbles on AND make them look so good

Nice to have young Tomo helping out from his mom's Christmas recipe book

Inspirational stuff 

Nice work Jont

Why thankyou sir. 

22 hours ago, bbudde said:

For more rigging motivation:

b2c80bd2e375cd8f0c1562630fb17d80.jpg

Ooh that's a beauty.

20 hours ago, Leonl said:

Strong start... It really makes a difference. Keep it steady and I'm sure you'll nail it!

Fingers crossed, hopefully not glued.

16 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Rigging looks good so far but it looks fiendishly complex, good luck with the rest.

Tell me about it. :chef: Thanks Mr Heath, coming from you it's a real compliment. :king:

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

It does make you think about the sheer effort in manpower and materials that went into making and maintaining these machines ( the real ones, I'm talking about).

Indeed it does. 

9 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely start on the rigging. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.....you CAN do It!

Like Bob the builder. :)

2 hours ago, AlexN said:

Waiting with bated breath for the next installment, so no pressure Johnny ;).

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: wants to know how many birds you would catch per flight with that beast

Wait no longer, the next baby step is upon us.  Btw. Two grey gulls, a tit, a finch, a cross bill and five black birds. :rofl2:

Johnny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Morning guys.

Its our Wedding anniversary today so I'm pushing it fiddling with the old HP today but there is only a week to go until the GB so needs must. :violin:

I bit the bullet and bought some thicker ez line from little cars to do the main wings and started here. (Needed a break from the tail)

36672991041_dfcf04c12a_b.jpg

Then started stretching to the other side.

36641930032_eef5f8892d_b.jpg

I've found a blob of tac and wrapping around the strut is deffo a good thing. More line per section but it makes the whole thing easier to manage. I have decided to double rig where needed and realized that a Tamiya pot jig was woefully inadequate so I made a lego one.

36415792320_bb8a03b1ba_b.jpg

better. Here just in case you want to make one yourself.

36812617935_1f1ece0118_b.jpg

super handy for this job. I'll rearrange for the other side.another method I have used for the rigging is pulling the line taught and popping a blob of tac in place allowing the application of glue without tension. (Works a treat too)

36415792180_10ca9b9504_b.jpg

You can see the cross over of the double rigging here, I'll add more line for the next lot to enable me to drape over the wing edge. :elephant: Here is where I'm leaving her before I get killed by the other half.

36415791530_a46277e2a9_b.jpg36812617435_059992ca35_b.jpg

it looks as though the dihedral has changed on the top shot but it's just the photo.:cyclops:

I'm happy with that.

Hope you like?

Thanks for popping in. Have a great weekend guys.

Johnny Theater. 

• Like 22

:wow: Looking better and better! :clap:

I have crossed eyes just thinking of all the work and patience you had to put in it :wacko::worthy: ... and you're not even half way through :devil::D:D

Ciao

• Like 2

That's looking great John!  Thanks for the tips on the EZ-Line. I am a newbie with this stuff...and congratulations on the anniversary!  

Have a wonderful weekend, or as we say here... "Kalos Sabbatokiriaki!"

• Like 1

Excellent work Johnny,  really good to see you didn't chicken out of doing the double flying wires - something I've seen so called 'expert' biplane modellers do far too often, even in 1/32nd scale!

Have a great Anniversary evening!

Keith

• Like 2

Nice work John, bite by bite is the way to eat this elephant.

The big question is - are you enjoying the rigging element of the build?

I generally do, but I'm wondering whether I'm on my own and it's only because I'm not 'right in the head' as we say over here. :hypnotised:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thankyou all for your lovely anniversary messages and encouragement. @Howlindawg I was enjoying the rigging, I think I'm still enjoying the rigging. So much rigging. Riggy, riggy, riggy, beep, riggy,.:cow6: This morning started at around 7:30 8:00 it's now 1:00 and I have got the rest of the main wing rigged. :mental: it takes forever.

here is where we began.

36442963980_97b8bb163f_b.jpg

Fitting the lines for the middle inner struts. I forgot about those and should have done them first.

36030266203_771e134112_b.jpg

ive also rigged the central cockpit struts with thinner line. It was hard to see on the reference shots, and if I have this wrong then tough, but it seems the rigging from the closest strut goes through the engine cover and links to the engine frame so I did this.

36005125874_27ed951e8a_b.jpg

I also made additions to the jig to do the other side.

36699601751_19a6c25ddb_b.jpg

Flipped on her head I can get the doubles done.

36442964300_bc4fe3e822_b.jpg36839106955_70617e3130_b.jpg

You WILL need two pairs of tweezers, heavy and good blue tac, a steady hand  and heaps, I mean HEAPS of patience if your going down this particular rabbit hole route. I'm beat and I'll hit it again tomorrow. The little aileron rigs aren't done but that's no sweat in comparison. I'm happy with the look, the glue marks you can see will get dulled with mat coat later. But here is were she is.

36839106215_5e2a7f3601_b.jpg36699600741_fedb18d657_b.jpg36699600771_5369813204_b.jpg36030265623_b234efa69d_b.jpg

thanks for dropping by. I think I need a pint.

Have a great BankHolidy chaps.

As always. Happy Modelling.

Johnny EYES! :drunk:

Ps. Quick word of warning if you are going to attempt this. "Don't rush and try and do more than one section at a time.

I tried to speed things up and regretted it.:elephant:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 18

Fantastic Johnny. And as the others have said, good work on the double rigging. Now off for a pint are you, well you do deserve it. Mmm like the idea of that, so think I'll nip up the boozer for a few. Of course if you hadn't mentioned, there's no way I would have considered going out for a beer on a sunny afternoon before the Bank Holiday, no way whatsoever...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

A pint? damn you man, leading us all astray LOL.:drink:

Indeed he is, I have been forced to reach for my second pint while reaching for this!

Martian

• Like 3

My pint is tasting pretty good too!

Lovely job on the rigging. Although personally I would have stayed with the thinner line, thick is far better than none!

Ian

• Like 3

A pint ??

Here's what I need...

WP_20170827_14_16_14_Pro

Pretty good f... Job here ! Congratulations Spad !

I'm impressed , need another shot of Lamb's

Did you quadruple the rigging or is this the rum ???

Nice job John Really, Congrats !

CC

• Like 3

Hope you had a nice Anniversary Johnny.

Your patient rigging work is paying off. Good tips; one section at a time; noted :thumbsup2: 

Could I ask; what are you using to apply the glue, and what kind of glue? The last time I had a go (years ago) with thin CA and a cocktail stick; made an absolute bobbins of it.

This is extremely neat. For your next model involving rigging; I would suggest a Farman Longhorn :o :D!

https://goo.gl/images/icvimF

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3
  • Haha 2