Rigging Hell it's The Bloody Paryliser!!! Handley Page 0/400 1/72

Very good job with the u/c -not an easy part to complete. Just wait until you fit the engines and then the top wing.....

On my model the u/c is strong enough provided that the completed model does not have to make a heavy landing. It may be that the plastic on my kit was more rigid (the kit was from the 1970's), but it has held up well for about 4 years with no obvious signs of trouble (and I hope it stays that way having written this!)

Graet build log which I am following with great interest. Looking forward to seeing the Last Days markings.

P

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Right dentist went well, I got an almost gold star. Shucks. :huh:

where were we?

oh yes, I had forgotten the bat wing bits so forgetting what I had said a few posts back I decided to make the ribs from plasticard. 

36520165136_fcce99ff36_b.jpg

initially not a bad idea until I added more and it just looked awful. :huh: so I peeled them off.

36428370871_5e76cafb41_b.jpg

which left my paint work like this.

36428364351_7078eb113e_b.jpg

El Crapola! :rage: right if I remember correctly i mentioned Quiche foil bat wings so.

35731622684_88ccd3bde9_b.jpg

and.

36169888360_03eced3812_b.jpg

perfect. :lol:

primed and painted, ready for a gloss coat.

35757144893_bf8845c640_b.jpg

Contruction time now now ready for a total top coat befor Flory. Top wings dihedral needed doing, why I have never used lego before I'll never know. It is now my new best friend.

36520159596_75405052c8_b.jpg

That wing is mahoosive!

Ill do another set of bat wings later on.:phew:

Next bit to get bossed together is the tail. Wow, what a set of pipes. No rigging yet either.:waiting:

36428364401_2ea1b75fa8_b.jpg

word to the wise. Again. The flap pegs are slightly too large/long, well they were here so you might want to test run first like I didn't. :o no real trouble though, I had ma lego jig. 

35731626104_6559273a1c_b.jpg

with a Tamiya pot chaser.:lol:

Now we are here.

36572501535_0afd936841_b.jpg

every thing seems to be slowly coming together. 

36404059262_02e3335e2e_b.jpg

I think the next few steps will be the last of the hard bits (excluding rigging) I'm looking forward to the weathering and "last days" masking. Nothing more tonight as I'm pooped. Hope you are having fun watching this come together. I'm certainly enjoying it from this end. Hope you all have a great week, thanks for dropping by.

Happy Modelling chaps.

Johnny lego.

• Like 21

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Never, NEVER use mini bulldog clips to hold small parts.

Reading @Martian Hale s post just now I'm thinking he might be right, alas I'm in now so I'm running with it.

I never use mini bulldog clips to hold my small parts! :owww:

Of course I'm right! How do you think I found out? :tease:

Martian

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Great stuff Johnny - those batwings are a work or art :) 

Lego is your friend... I sometimes use BluTak 'pads' to allow micro-adjustment. HTH 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guys you are all far too kind. Thank you so much. :wub:

Tonight I must watch Game of thrones before a spoiler gets out. For some flight of fancy reason after seeing @The Baron pack up his box horse in preparation for the float plane GB I felt strangely compelled to join along. (Pied piper or what?)

I don't / can't leave this mid build and it's 3 weeks until the start of the GB so for some reason tonight THIS happened.  :blink:

36198068910_341c00673a_b.jpg

not quite.

36594701155_14d86f6a26_b.jpg

sure what I'm doing but feel quietly sure what I'm doing.

36198068910_341c00673a_b.jpg

I don't know if that makes sense but it seems to be working thus far. "Struts in pieces"

gotta fly, just thought you might like to see.

more tomorrow.

johnny seat of pants Modelling. :christmas:

• Like 15

That's the only way to do the struts! Mount the wing on the cabane struts, then add the outer ones one at a time. They bend enough to just pop them in provided you have positive location points. That's why I always drill the wings and add small pieces of brass rod to the strut ends......

She's looking great, Jon, keep up the good work, we're rooting for you!

Ian

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

That's the only way to do the struts!

I always drill the wings & brass pin the struts (unless I use some of my dwindling stock of brass strutz material) too Ian, but I then attach the lower wing & add the interplane struts sometimes making a card template to get the angles the same on each wing & add the cabane struts. I then test fit the upper wing & fiddle it about till it fits properly. But then I tend to cheat a bit with the rigging - I just mount it from the top of one strut to the bottom of the strut it attaches to rather than the few inches in or outboard it may be in reality. I find it easier to do this with the top wing still off - I then fully paint & decal the thing before attaching the upper wing.

Sorry for waffling on Johnny!

Keith

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's a novel approach to biplane modelling! She's looking rather tidy there johnny sopm...!! :thumbsup:

keith

Thanks, I didn't want to put the wings on yet but I think I need to to move on.

43 minutes ago, CedB said:

Very nice Johnny (I'm out of 'reactions I think). Great to see the wings on :) 

Thanks Ced. Fingers crossed they'll stay on. 

38 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

That's the only way to do the struts! Mount the wing on the cabane struts, then add the outer ones one at a time. They bend enough to just pop them in provided you have positive location points. That's why I always drill the wings and add small pieces of brass rod to the strut ends......

She's looking great, Jon, keep up the good work, we're rooting for you!

Ian

Thanks Ian. It feels like it might just work, glad to know I'm not going bonkerers.

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I always drill the wings & brass pin the struts (unless I use some of my dwindling stock of brass strutz material) too Ian, but I then attach the lower wing & add the interplane struts sometimes making a card template to get the angles the same on each wing & add the cabane struts. I then test fit the upper wing & fiddle it about till it fits properly. But then I tend to cheat a bit with the rigging - I just mount it from the top of one strut to the bottom of the strut it attaches to rather than the few inches in or outboard it may be in reality. I find it easier to do this with the top wing still off - I then fully paint & decal the thing before attaching the upper wing.

Sorry for waffling on Johnny!

Keith

Waffle away Keith, it's all great help. I'm not adding any pins. Putting all my hopes on glue. I'm going to do the same with the rigging. I think. :blink:

• Like 2

Aaaaand off again. Post game of thrones I had a go at fitting the other struts. :rage:

All in line apart from the ones I had glued in. Scratching my head for twenty minutes or so looking at plans and photos and wondering why the mid struts didn't fit actually WAY off. :o so I loosened the struts with Tamiya green top and took everything off.

35787299133_709a77dc22_b.jpg

T he holes supplied are totally in the wrong place. :huh: I measured in line with the other struts and marked with a red pencil. You can just see in the pic.

I have drilled new holes, touched up the paint and re fitted the rear struts.

now bed.  Grrrrrrr bloody Stupid Airfix. 

Johnny new holes.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I am amazed by this piece of foil origami:

I have no idea how you did this but would like to see a tutorial.

The whole thing is starting to look rather excellent.

Yes please,that looks really cool,as does the rest of the build.Excellent stuff.

Dave.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I am amazed by this piece of foil origami:

I have no idea how you did this but would like to see a tutorial.

The whole thing is starting to look rather excellent.

You're going to have to show us how you did this especially as it looks like you still have to do the 'Bat Wings' for the upper wing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

You're going to have to show us how you did this especially as it looks like you still have to do the 'Bat Wings' for the upper wing.

I agree. I have an idea how it was done but would like to be sure.

Martian

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

T he holes supplied are totally in the wrong place. :huh: I measured in line with the other struts and marked with a red pencil. You can just see in the pic.

I have drilled new holes, touched up the paint and re fitted the rear struts.

now bed.  Grrrrrrr bloody Stupid Airfix. 

So....absolutely nothing to do with putting the wing underside piece in back to front then?  :whistle:

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been lurking about this thread for a few weeks...Amazing work, especially the origami!  I cannot wait to see this thing rigged up!

Tell me about this Group Build in 3 weeks...?  How does one join up?

• Like 1