Rigging Hell it's The Bloody Paryliser!!! Handley Page 0/400 1/72

Yep, have to agree with t'others, those wings are looking a whole lot better! However, seeing all the effort this is taking you, I'm not sure I have the stamina to even think about doing mine now, so it's slowly sinking lower & lower in the 'to do' pile !!

Keith take the easy way out & leave it in its box.

• Like 4

Good grief; some intense sanding action Johnny. 

I'm glad you didn't bin it. Ribs are a pain. I didn't mean to pun there; they're something that can really niggle. I've had the model discussed earlier in the BoD (Boxes of Doom) for over a year now. 

I hope it's ok to put a picture here? I would put a link to the build thread, but Photobuffoon has eaten all the pictures :(.

After trying a few different methods; this is where I gave up:

P1260514.jpg

I gave up because I thought I was finally getting somewhere, but not happy with making a bobbins of it again with Mr. Surfacer.

Like you, before this I tried Tamiya and Dymo tape and didn't like the look.

I tried masking, leaving just rib lines exposed and putting thick primer on. Didn't work.

The photo above has Slater's finest (literal sense) plastic rod; at .020" or around 0.254mm

https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/plasticRod.php

I tried it before, put superglue on top, sanded, made a mess.

Why am I scribbling this? Because you may have just helped. Perhaps this rod, then a suitable skim of filler (did you use Mr. Surfacer?) and the Wet and Dry with the circular motion.

Could I ask did you use it wet or dry (or both)?

This very, very fine rod is useful; if you needed a slightly more thick rib for your much bigger aircraft model; there are around ten different sizes at the link :).

Happy to take the picture off and edit; don't want to take over the thread.

Hang on in there; remember how many times my wings fell off on that build :o? If you feel like throwing it in the bin, just put it away and put your feet up for a bit, or make a start on another.

Or repair a dishwasher :winkgrin:.

Best regards

TonyT

PS: I forgot to add; I mentioned the rod as maybe, if you don't need the slightly flat rib section next time, this could be a useful product? Sand. Rod. Skim filler, the W&D circular motion; may have cracked it :).

Edited by TonyTiger66
Superfluous words
  • Like 4

Much better, well worth the time spent.

If you want detail on the undersides, don't add anything physical to it as there shouldn't be any raised areas under the wing. Once you have it all nice and smooth, paint it white underneath. Then use 0.5mm masking tape to mask the ribs. Spray the CDL undersurfaces, remove the tape, and give them another thin coat of CDL This will leave you with slightly lighter ribs, which would be correct due to the doped upper surfaces stopping the light from above and the double layer of linen on the ribs making them appear lighter. A lot of work, but well worth it!

Ian

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Well done Johnny, those wings look good now, not surprising after all your efforts!

Thanks Ced. I feel better about it this morning.

8 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Those wings do look good, well done on the tenacity front.

Thank you sir.

8 hours ago, amblypygid said:

A beer well and truly earned! They're looking good; all that effort is not wasted.

A beer? Dang I'll keep one for later. :)

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Yep, have to agree with t'others, those wings are looking a whole lot better! However, seeing all the effort this is taking you, I'm not sure I have the stamina to even think about doing mine now, so it's slowly sinking lower & lower in the 'to do' pile !!

Keith take the easy way out & leave it in its box.

Sorry, I didn't want to dampen your thoughts of building this. I was in a funny mood yesterday. I think in the cold light of a Monday morning everything looks quite do able. "Beware the funny mood":penguin:

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Good grief; some intense sanding action Johnny. 

I'm glad you didn't bin it. Ribs are a pain. I didn't mean to pun there; they're something that can really niggle. I've had the model discussed earlier in the BoD (Boxes of Doom) for over a year now. 

I hope it's ok to put a picture here? I would put a link to the build thread, but Photobuffoon has eaten all the pictures :(.

After trying a few different methods; this is where I gave up:

P1260514.jpg

Best regards

TonyT

Indeed Mr T, I remember it well. I think I was channeling your pain from last year, half way through putting the tape on I was thinking of this build so I'm glad you've posted a pic.:lol: No fear of the bin. I'm ready for anything now, especially because of all that rigging.:o

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Much better, well worth the time spent.

If you want detail on the undersides, don't add anything physical to it as there shouldn't be any raised areas under the wing. Once you have it all nice and smooth, paint it white underneath. Then use 0.5mm masking tape to mask the ribs. Spray the CDL undersurfaces, remove the tape, and give them another thin coat of CDL This will leave you with slightly lighter ribs, which would be correct due to the doped upper surfaces stopping the light from above and the double layer of linen on the ribs making them appear lighter. A lot of work, but well worth it!

Ian

Thanks Ian . This is what I had in mind but using masking tape for the shading is inspired.:idea: thanks. By the way CDL?

Thanks for all the help and kind words guys. ;)

Johnny Monday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry, I didn't want to dampen your thoughts of building this.

I think it's the kit rather than you that did that Johnny! I was born the same year as the Airfix Bristol Fighter (1957!) so when we were both 57 I decided it was a good idea to try & build a rather more detailed one than first time around when we were both about 10! Well, it's still not finished, but as we've now both reached the age where we can get our bus passes I've decided it has to be done by the time of our next birthday in January! As it's of very similar 'quality' to the O/400, (but luckily much smaller!) I don't think I can face the same battles (but much bigger!) again for a while!

So I'll just enjoy watching you beat this thing into submission instead! :)

Keith

• Like 5

Good to see you are getting there with the wings. Mind how you handle the lower wing the bit where the bomb bay is is a weak spot on the build until the lower wing is securely glued to the fuselage. Another case of "guess how I know this?"

Martian

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks Ian . This is what I had in mind but using masking tape for the shading is inspired.:idea: thanks. By the way CDL?

Sorry, Clear Doped Linen!

Here's  my RE8 build that may explain it a little better.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

Clear Doped Linen.

XF-55 or MRP-257.

Glad you hung in there John, the wings are looking much better now.

Thanks for the heads up. That was the colour I painted inside. With a bit of white mixed in. The wings are green on the underside though. Am I missing something?

15 hours ago, giemme said:

I admire your patience and perseverance Johnny, great job :worthy::clap:

Ciao

Thanks. It's a lot better now the wings are done.

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I think it's the kit rather than you that did that Johnny! I was born the same year as the Airfix Bristol Fighter (1957!) so when we were both 57 I decided it was a good idea to try & build a rather more detailed one than first time around when we were both about 10! Well, it's still not finished, but as we've now both reached the age where we can get our bus passes I've decided it has to be done by the time of our next birthday in January! As it's of very similar 'quality' to the O/400, (but luckily much smaller!) I don't think I can face the same battles (but much bigger!) again for a while!

So I'll just enjoy watching you beat this thing into submission instead! :)

Keith

I see. :o well I hope you enjoy watching, I'll try and make it less painful and more fun. :lol: paint soon. :penguin:

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Good to see you are getting there with the wings. Mind how you handle the lower wing the bit where the bomb bay is is a weak spot on the build until the lower wing is securely glued to the fuselage. Another case of "guess how I know this?"

Martian

It's nice to know you've got my back. Thanks Mart. ;)

12 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Sorry, Clear Doped Linen!

Here's  my RE8 build that may explain it a little better.

Ian

Yes I remember it well. Great work.

9 hours ago, Leonl said:

Nice work... never doubted you!

Oh cool, thanks. -_-

3 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Well persevered Johnny, but blimey what a faff.

Thanks Tomo. I know, I think it's a little better now I'm just expecting it to be bobbins.  Must be mad.

Evening guys, a little more done today. 

But before I carry on I'd like to dedicate this build to the Late George A Romero who sadly died yesterday. He will be remembered through his films, a true genius who watches over me while I've been building my kits.

35151736454_217b7ba9ca_b.jpg

the "last days" emblazoned on this giant will now have double meaning. Night George.

Onward and upward. 

We have the top part of the fuselage popped on.

35991506265_effeabb78a_b.jpg

the fit is actually ok? Shhhh don't tell anyone. I glued the dials in the front position.

35991506085_2ec7d3e5ae_b.jpg

and noticed on this pic that the fit really isn't that great of the top half of the fuselage. Oh well.

Let's put some wings on, what's the worst that can happen right?

35949859896_3ddb819e08_b.jpg

Err nothing bad, they just went on. :hypnotised:

I forget where I saw this little trick but I'm masking the internal sections with cling film anticipating paint.:hobbyhorse:

35151736324_881a7a2b78_b.jpg

Oooh another shot of that 'orrible edge. As you can see the milliput is out.

The underside of the wings get some fix up action. 

35949859826_568dc5ee74_b.jpg

as does the edge seam.

35991506075_90dd6ffb18_b.jpg

much better. :police:

a little more clen up and I'm ready for a prime and pre shade. :ninja:

Game of thrones tonight so I left her there.

fingers crossed for a little more tomorrow.

Thanks for taking time out to cast your eyes over this old bird.

Happy Modelling guys.

Johnny Bub. 

• Like 10

A nice dedication. We're losing a lot of long standing creatives at the moment :(.

All of a sudden this is galloping along Johnny :hobbyhorse: !

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the paint and weathering on this huge double decker bird. I'll not mention the rigging.

Oops :sorry: !

Happy Game of Throning :viking: 

TonyT

• Like 2

Closed up, wings on, suddenly there's a 'plane there - good work Johnny :) 

GoT started with a bang eh? No spoilers for those who've recorded it but I see 'the Ladies' are still looking gorgeous... looking being the operative word... crikey, they're a vengeful bunch. I wish they'd stop fighting amongst themselves and DO something about those White Walkers... tense :shutup: 

• Like 1

Glad to see the lower wing in place, that's one less thing for you to worry about. As I remember, the fir of the radiators to the nacelles is the next potential problem you will face. on my kit the fronts were too wide for the nacelle and the plastic was wafer thin by the time I had blended everything in. I also used up quite a lot of putty on the fuselage.

Sorry to sound like a harbinger of doom, but I always think it is better to be aware of these things rather than just stumble across them. You realy are doing very well with this build.

Martian

• Like 3

Looking good! And no, you're not missing anything with the colour of the wing undersides, I just wasn't thinking....CDL is usually standard on British machines.

Ian

• Like 1

Looking much more like the Real ThingTM! Looking at that picture of the front end, it looks as though HP used very thick rope to attach the UDL (undoped linen)...Par for the course with the rest of it - at least Airfix was consistent, I suppose. Not that I am suggesting that you do something with the stitching. Not at all. Well, not much...:wicked:

Very, very nice, Johnny.

By the way, one of your pictures in a post not far above this drivel has the Flickr Mark o' Death on it. Maybe it's just my 'internet' 'connection' but thought I'd let you know 'just in case'.

Cheers,

Alex.

Edited by AlexN
My abysmal 'typing'
  • Like 1

Hi Jonny

I kept meaning to pop in here and see  what the hell you were up to

That was many pages ago and I kept being distracted, Ced and the Alien have a lot of reckoning coming...

I never had A: a lot of interest in WW1 and betwixt the wars airplanes anyway and B: the O/100/400 series didn't grab my attention

Consider that situation old and ancient history, I am loving how you are dealing with this

I'm along for the ride (speshully since I have finally caught up)

Bugger about the pipe blowing, bad news mate

anyway

I have enjoyed this

And

It's time for bed..

great work, I had fun wing taping the Auster

But not MUCH fun

;)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

On 18/07/2017 at 1:00 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

A nice dedication. We're losing a lot of long standing creatives at the moment :(.

All of a sudden this is galloping along Johnny :hobbyhorse: !

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the paint and weathering on this huge double decker bird. I'll not mention the rigging.

Oops :sorry: !

Happy Game of Throning :viking: 

TonyT

Thanks Tony. What do you mean losing? Surely not what I think you mean? :(

Glad you're enjoying the build, it's you guys that keep it going, not me. Well it's a little bit me.:wicked:

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Closed up, wings on, suddenly there's a 'plane there - good work Johnny :) 

GoT started with a bang eh? No spoilers for those who've recorded it but I see 'the Ladies' are still looking gorgeous... looking being the operative word... crikey, they're a vengeful bunch. I wish they'd stop fighting amongst themselves and DO something about those White Walkers... tense :shutup: 

Thanks Ced. Yes it started brilliantly. The ladies are winning out for sure, I think that's the plan.

22 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

...and a nice opening scene for GoT as well.  

This HP is looking great.  I cannot wait to see it all done up and rigged!:D

Indeed!  Thanks, me too. :lol:

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Glad to see the lower wing in place, that's one less thing for you to worry about. As I remember, the fir of the radiators to the nacelles is the next potential problem you will face. on my kit the fronts were too wide for the nacelle and the plastic was wafer thin by the time I had blended everything in. I also used up quite a lot of putty on the fuselage.

Sorry to sound like a harbinger of doom, but I always think it is better to be aware of these things rather than just stumble across them. You realy are doing very well with this build.

Martian

That's fine Mart, it's a real help knowing what's coming around the corner. I'm assuming pain! ;)

17 hours ago, Leonl said:

I like those dials... very effective.

Why thank you sir. I had a. It of a dab on fitting them.

16 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Looking good! And no, you're not missing anything with the colour of the wing undersides, I just wasn't thinking....CDL is usually standard on British machines.

Ian

I wish these were to be fair. 

6 hours ago, AlexN said:

Looking much more like the Real ThingTM! Looking at that picture of the front end, it looks as though HP used very thick rope to attach the UDL (undoped linen)...Par for the course with the rest of it -at least Airfix was consistent, I suppose. Not that I am suggsting that you do something with the stitching. Not at all. Well, not much...:wicked:

Very, very nice, Johnny.

By the way, one of your pictures in a post not far above this drivel has the Flickr Mark o' Death on it. Maybe it's just my 'internet' 'connection' but thought I'd let you know 'just in case'.

Cheers,

Alex.

Yes thick rope, just . Like. The. Real. Thing.  :lalala: now let's not talk about it again.:lol:.

Flickr mark of doom? What's that? They look fine here. Don't tell me this will happen again? :o

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Hi Jonny

I kept meaning to pop in here and see  what the hell you were up to

That was many pages ago and I kept being distracted, Ced and the Alien have a lot of reckoning coming...

I never had A: a lot of interest in WW1 and betwixt the wars airplanes anyway and B: the O/100/400 series didn't grab my attention

Consider that situation old and ancient history, I am loving how you are dealing with this

I'm along for the ride (speshully since I have finally caught up)

Bugger about the pipe blowing, bad news mate

anyway

I have enjoyed this

And

It's time for bed..

great work, I had fun wing taping the Auster

But not MUCH fun

;)

Glad to have turned your head kind sir.  

Wing taping, wing sanding, filling. Gahhhhh. Paint soon. :lol: nice to have you on board.

I'm off on my holls (again you say) from Friday. I'm out tonight and I'm packing tomorrow so not much HP on the horizon for the next week. I'll have to live vicariously through your wonderful builds.

take care and Happy Modelling.

Johnny Sprint Alpine!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Flickr mark of doom? What's that? They look fine here. Don't tell me this will happen again? :o

Well blow me down, as they say in the Classics. It appears to have rectified itself all on its own. It must have been an internet 'transient error' at this end: of which we have far, far too many. Our internet is supposed to have got better, when in actual fact it's got a lot worse <sigh>. They lie abominably, and charge us for the pleasure. Bah humbug.

Enjoying your build immensely as usual, Jonhnny (despite one's ISP's attempt to produce the opposite effect - they must be related to PhotoBlaggards :analintruder:).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 2