Gorbygould's small slice of BoB – WARNING - Rivet-counters are requested to sit down and brace themselves before viewing.

Absolutely love it.........but that bed pack would have you on jankers for the duration!!

Fantastic,with lots to catch the eye,jolly well done old chap,wizard prang.

Andrew

• Like 1

Fantastic - the hut is a masterpiece and the deck chair - well it puts mine from the flying club to shame.  Thanks for sharing - I feel inspired.

• Like 1

This is brilliant, it really depicts the scene beautifully. The scratchbuilt hut interior is breathtaking, really well thought out and built. Love it!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I've come over all unnecessary (don't even think it). I'm quite taken aback with the response.

I forgot to say that other than the photos of my mum, there is another personal aspect to this build. Both my granddads were in the RAF at the time, one was military police, so I have decided that he is the figure by the door of the hut (it actually looks like he did in later life): and the other was ground crew, so he is the one in overalls (but looks nothing like him). In fact he was a coach trimmer/upholsterer and he repaired damaged canvas on Hurricanes, Swordfish etc.

@TallBlondJohn

Thanks for the link – loved watching that again.

@Niles

I wondered if someone was going to mention the Me 210 ID poster. Two reasons, I couldn't find many posters that had the WWII look and secondly, as I said, I wasn't too concerned with accuracy, just a bit of fun – I very nearly used a Do335 poster, but thought that would going a bit too far.

@John D.C. Masters

Honestly, I thought long and hard about doing 1/48 darts, but they defeated me.

@Troy Smith

Again, I was aware about the disparity in the aircraft, but that sort of thing doesn't bother me. As I said just a bit a fun – not to be taken seriously, hence the title.

@dreadeddrew

I was warned by Jackaroo that the beds would need to be perfectly made, but cut them some slack – they're fighting a 1/48 scale war here, putting their 1/48 scale lives on the line, you can't expect them to say “Jerry will have wait, beds not made”. And on top of that, the PVA sodden tissue wouldn't straighten out, so I decided that I quite liked the crumpled look.

@BIG X

Your Flying Club was the thing that gave me the idea to do this type of hut in the first place – so thanks. And although you can't see them from the photos – my Bedford nuts are white and red.

Thanks again for all the comments and 'likes'.

• Like 3

What a superb story telling dio,let's not forget the two beautifully built aircraft at the centre of it,but love the hut and all that detailing

outstanding!

• Like 2

That's just superb Gorby :thumbsup2: !

I found myself gazing into the billet, thinking about the posters, the games of darts, maps and telephone callls.

The diorama is great for the imagination, suggests a few stories.

The Hurricanes, figures and vehicles, all very nicely made indeed. I especially like the look of the removed cowling panels.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

I was liking your aircraft and ground equipment which are superb, then I got to the billet! Exceptional, a lot of time and effort has gone into this, brilliant attention to detail.

Eng 

• Like 1

What a cracking job :goodjob:

My approach to grass is to mix several types to try to replicate the randomness of nature. Don't worry about scale, get yourself various railway scatters to go with your static grass (I have two types of that too). Only the best manicured lawns are even so a little patchiness goes some way to getting a natural look :winkgrin:

And of course, you are a rivet short on the stove :spider:

• Like 2

I don't care what anybody else says, you work on this is superb. The staging, the animation and the detailing, especially in the building, is superb. You have captured a sense of movement and drama that many dioramas simply don't have, even when the build quality of the parts is good. Could you do a WIP on the next one, please?

• Like 1

Love it! Fantastic dio!

Scrolling through the photos, I actually had to double take the first hut interior shot. I thought it was real!

Rivet counter observation? The desk needs an ashtray. :nerd:

Best regards;
Steve

• Like 1

Wow! I'm quite overwhelmed with the response. Thank you all for your views, likes and comments, it brightens my day.

@Ratch

I had heard that it was best to mix a couple of different types, but I was just being a bit tight, just buying one bag. So I will definite remember your suggestions next time. Thanks.

@Michael Enright 

The mud was free – direct from the garden and your comment has reminded me that I forgot to put paint splatters on the stepladder.

@Mitch K

I've not done a WIP before, so it didn't really occur to me. With a WIP, people are expecting to see something at the end, but if you don't do a WIP and it turns out duff, no one need ever know. I did do a few photos during the build, but it doesn't seen right to show them now.

@fightersweep

Ashtray! Quit right. :doh: In these PC times it didn't occur to me that an ashtray would have been an essential item – I'll have scrap it all and start again.

:D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...