F-104 G Starfighter JaboG 31 "Boelcke" (Italeri 1/72)

Hello modellers!

Today let me show you my new F-104G Starfighter in 1/72. It depicts a German Airforce Starfighter from Fighterbomber Wing 31 “Boelcke” in Nörvenich from the late seventies. Despite the fact that the Italeri Starfighter is less detailed that the Revell or Hasegawa models, I like the kit as there is no option for a two-seater, making assembly of the fuselage a lot easier. As it is the second G-model I built from this brand, I knew very well what to improve.
I scratchbuilt a new ejection seat as the Martin Baker seat from the kit was too small and nearly disappeared in the cockpit. The undercarriage was detailed with silver rod and stretched sprue and the characteristic bulges in the main landing gear doors sculpted with styrene sheet. Slats and flaps were cut and glued in extended position. Navigation, taxi and landing lights were added as well as collision warning light from sculpted rhinestone. The small stall warning probes were scratchbuilt from rod and aluminium tape and a new pitot tube was made from brass tube and silver rod.. The paint scheme was easy to apply as there are Revell enamels that matched the colors without the need of mixing. Gloss coat was Gauzy and matted with Tamiya acrylic paint. The decals from the box were very nice and worked perfectly.
Found two very helpful sources in the web for a proper Starfighter build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKv9lsdln7E

http://www.rolfferch.de/F104G/

Hope you like it
                               Mario

YXuVkaf.jpgkVRBpBV.jpg1R77dl5.jpgt82ci9i.jpgXCF7nUB.jpg4jxqvFy.jpgbVjrcHA.jpg

Edited by Mario
  • Like 57

Hi Mario,

this Starfighter is simply delightful.

Everything looks perfect to me and the paint job is top notch.

Congratulations!!!

JR

• Like 2

Hello Mario,

Very nice family shot !

I really like the pair, and particularly the mug beside it !

Very delightfull job :yes:

You did great !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Hello,Dear Mario - Here's a delightful start to my weekend with a visit to Kempen Air Base.

These 'Starfighters',like all your builds, are absolutely superb and show your characteristic expertise and attention to detail.The base works so well too.Study the absorbing photographs long enough and I'd be hearing those 'J-79's and breathing the perfume from their exhausts.😋

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Uncle Mario!!!!

Congratulations forthe build....the birds Look so resplendent in this dress!!!

I was remembering the early 80's when I had the Old Lou Drendel's Squadron ·# 27 F104 In Action book...Just the one  with the blue background and the nice bird flying trying to get out of the painting, together with the same stable Century Series book as permanent residents in my night light table...I bought tons of F104 kits starting with the 1/48 old HAWK chromed and white, following with the 1/72 Old Airfix, Hasegawa's, Matchbox, and continued with the 1/48 Revell C/G and ESCI models with plenty of decals for  nearly every conceived version and country, followed by the 1/72 ones...as have been a strong F104 fan made whatever I wanted at that time...not so highly worked as at this time there were not so high need to do  it and we though that every model was perfect,  and we were happy with whatever any brand launches to the market. Really I was so happy at that time!!!

Maybe soon will start again with that fever, for me have not been another aircraft with the elegance and sleek  lines as this one...and your rendition here gives me the reason about this thought.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi Mario!

One of my favourite a/c, remember when they come over our house in the early years of 1970. Your 104 looks very impressive in this scale. Udo.

• Like 1

That is an exceptionally nice model of a stunning aircraft :thumbsup: .

I also love your scale runway!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thank you very much Jean, corsircorp, Karl, Paul, Steve, Nephew Luis Alfonso, spruecutter, Udo, Steve, Valkyrie and Tony T for the nice comments! Haven´t estimated such an overwhelming feedback!

To Paul: Glad I could contribute to your nice weekend. Always happy about your kind comments!

To Udo: Especially happy about kind comment from Kerpen!

To Nephew Luis Alfonso: Hope I could infect you with the fever this time;)!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mario said:

Thank you very much Jean, corsircorp, Karl, Paul, Steve, Nephew Luis Alfonso, spruecutter, Udo, Steve, Valkyrie and Tony T for the nice comments! Haven´t estimated such an overwhelming feedback!

To Paul: Glad I could contribute to your nice weekend. Always happy about your kind comments!

To Udo: Especially happy about kind comment from Kerpen!

To Nephew Luis Alfonso: Hope I could infect you with the fever this time;)!

Hello,Dear Mario - You're more than welcome,my friend, I love your 'style' of modelling and displaying.

The base itself looks superb and so realistic.Add a beautifully built and finished model to it and I feel I'm viewing a snapshot in time and find it totally absorbing.Kind comments are truly well-deserved!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Dear Mario - You're more than welcome,my friend, I love your 'style' of modelling and displaying.

The base itself looks superb and so realistic.Add a beautifully built and finished model to it and I feel I'm viewing a snapshot in time and find it totally absorbing.Kind comments are truly well-deserved!

Thank you very much Paul! Glad you still like my style. It´s your kind comments that contribute to my nice weekends. Hope your Phantom build goes straight forward, the decals will work nicely and I can give back some kudos very soon.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Excellent finish and nice setting.

Point of notice: "The pilot makes this model complete."

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1