Lightning colour scheme order

Hi,

I am going to paint my F6 Lightning in the colour scheme in the image below could anyone tell me the best order in which to paint ie underside and sides first then top side then black spine and tail. Thanks very much.

Mark.

Sorry image dos'nt seem to have come up but its BA/ XR725 grey with black spine and tail.

Edited by Lightning1968

Is it overall the same grey or different top and bottom?

I'd do fuselage - all of it, then wings,[under wings first if its a different shade, then the tops and the leading edge strip] then mask off the spine and do it and the tail together

Hi Black Knight, yes its different top and bottom, light aircraft grey, barley grey and medium sea grey with black spine and tail. That is a really great help to me i shall do it in the order you stated thank you very much for your reply.

On 09/06/2017 at 8:06 PM, Lightning1968 said:

Hi,

I am going to paint my F6 Lightning in the colour scheme in the image below could anyone tell me the best order in which to paint ie underside and sides first then top side then black spine and tail. Thanks very much.

Mark.

Sorry image dos'nt seem to have come up but its BA/ XR725 grey with black spine and tail.

Which lightning kit are you building? 

XR725 was 11 squadrons flagship and was intended to be untill lightning operations ended but it ran out of airframe life and was replaced with XS903. 725 was not scrapped and now lives in Charles Ross`s garden at Binbrook.

Id start with the lightest colour , then the next darker and so on ending with black.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Darth Vader, yes i have actually seen this Lightning in his garden at Binbrook. I live in Grimsby not to far from Binbrook and spent many many days up their throughout the eighties. Some of the best days of my life. I remember seeing this aircraft flying in these colours and seeing it taxy past crash gate 3 many times.

Hello lightning1968,

Im a newbie to BM from America. I will be starting airfix's 48 scale F.3 lightning in the next few days. Im kind of new to jets in general and this will be my first British jet ( RAF/RN Phantom in the que). I will need some help and advice in the near future. Im aiming to build an #111 squadron F.3.

The problem im finding is i cant find any clear photo's of the upper/lower wings and the differences in tonal colors of the different aluminum panels. If any one has or knows where i can find any photo's of these panels and more or less the same of a whole lightning in natural metal would be greatly appreciated. Were the early lightnings truly bare metal or were the given a aluminum or silver lacquer coat like the USAF century series eventually were? Any help would be appreciated. And would be glad to return the favor if i have info you might need.

Thanks 

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...