Continuing issues with Switched Users

8 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Francis, this appears to be happening to quite a lot on here just now, almost certainly to do with the attacks on the forum in one way or another. A lot about it in the thread about those things.

Steve.

I'm sorry, I did not know the specific thread, if I had not posted it there. If I have read the header that Mike has made when entering the forum, and I am aware of the attacks on the forum (I do not understand what it means to do this ????, a forum of modellers ... incredible), but how I said until yesterday I had not happened to me.

There is nothing left to trust in the companions, because, you can do everything that is usually done in our profile, in the one of the companion already logged ...

Cheers Steve :yes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

whoever you are; see the FrancisGL question on this in a duplicate posting

I´m FrancisGL, I have posted it, if I realize that "it was" another member ... eternal curse for the guilty ...

Cheers Knight :yes:

• Mike changed the title to Continuing issues with Switched Users

This is now the official thread for the identity swap discussion.  Firstly, we're working hard on getting it fixed, and Support work 24/7, so even when I'm in my bed, they're still able to work on it.  I'm going to be visiting the support sites now to check up on what's gone on overnight, and will report back shortly.

I'd advise everyone to log out, clear your cache, restart your browser as a matter of course.  Don't just stick it out, as caches can cause issues that have been fixed to persist until the time-stamp on the cached files expire.  I'm clearing our caches again shortly too :)

• Like 2

Caches cleared this end, and I've read what's been going on overnight, and put some additional questions and queries to support.  We're going through the process of ruling things out, and the major suspect has been the cacheing engine that the server runs to prevent disk overuse, constantly pulling the same old data (logos, graphics, etc.) from the SSDs time after time.  Usually this results in a massive increase in responsiveness on the server, but if these services get corrupted, they could contribute or even cause the problem we're seeing.

So far only one sock-puppet has used this to their advantage to post some anti-BM tosh in the slowness thread, so it goes to show that we have a good membership by-and-large, but we still have a few shills lurking around wanting to cause trouble.

Until we've got this resolved, if you have any personal info (such as bank details for a trade) in your PM inbox, you should take steps to remove it, and i'd suggest a copy/paste into Word, then delete the PM.  :)

• Like 1

I've just been advised of something installed on our server without our permission (by Support to help out, I suspect) that I think might be resulting in this issue.  I've told 'em to switch it off, and asked who told them to put it on.  I've been a couple of people in the last 10 minutes, so I now know you're not all collectively hallucinating, and it's quite alarming when it first happens.  My first reaction was to log out, which gave me an error message that I've passed onto Support, and might hopefully be useful.

Don't worry - I'm too busy to read your PMs, and I could muck about with your Likes & Interests any time I like anyway ;)

Sounds like you are getting closer to solving the problem :thumbsup: Interesting to hear that there was something installed that may have been tampering with the security of members personal details.

It's not tampering with members per se (AFAIK), but it is adding an extra layer of obfuscation between the web server and us members.  That might be what's confusing the forum software into thinking we're all called Brian and so's my wife. :wacko:

• Like 1

Aren't you a lucky boy? :clap2:  I'm currently waiting for support to remove the things I've asked them to remove and put things back to normal. 

Thanks Mike, its one of those situations where you think "it will never happen to me"........I was supprised to be getting quotes and notifications about Tornados...............understand whats going on now - Sorry to see you going through all this aggro when you could be doing better things

Best wishes

Raymond

I feel left out.

I want to be someone else :pirate::cowboy: :viking:!

I've tried all the things suggested to turn me into someone else, but I'm still me :confused:.

Please dad, can I play :(?

TonyT

(iPhone with Safari. Won't let me be Mr. Benn :weep: .)

IMG_8033.jpg

• Like 2

I was just Takemota for a sec, and it let me log out with no error message.  I knew we'd still be switched about, but it was nice of the system to let me know straight away :)