Convert 1/48 Kinetic Harrier FRS.1 to GR.3

bedford

Hello,

I would like to build a Harrier GR.3 in 1/48 scale. I've actually 2 Airfix GR.3, kinda a very old scale model. Would it be possible to convert the Kinetic FRS.1 (actual standard scale model) to the GR.3 ? Probably a lot of chirurgical work will be needed to fit the front part of the Airfix to the body of the Kinetic's one, but before starting, is the body of FRS.1 similar to the GR.3 ? I've seen the vertical fin (not sure it's the correct name) and the front part (cockpit and nose) are different, but don't know if there is something else.

Does somebody know the difference between them ? I don't want to wait for a future release of the Kinetic's GR.3 (has already been announced 2 or 3 years ago I think...tired to wait). I know about Harrier SIG group, but I'd like to have advices from people in Britmodeller.

Thank you for your feedback.

The GR.3 body and wings iare identical behind the cockpit. The only difference as far as I am aware is the underside airbrake which is shorter on the FRS.1 than the GR.3

The vertical fin is identical for the two types

No doubt there will be others to give specifics as to armament etc.

Trevor

• 1 month later...

You say "... I don't want to wait for a future release of the Kinetic's GR.3 (has already been announced 2 or 3 years ago I think...tired to wait)..."

YESSS ,  " I want it now , I want it all "  Fred Mercury used to say ...

That is the real soul of the plasticmodelism : scratch, convert, search for, study and ... make what You wish  NOW !

:idea:

Tonka 

Correct terminology i believe is Vertical Stabilizer and Rudder. And a Hearty 👍'S up. We are MODELER'S not assemblers. If everything is supposed to be wait for a shake-n-bake kit its a perpetual wait forever, its boring, and most importantly its not model building.  

On 08/06/2017 at 9:18 PM, Max Headroom said:

The GR.3 body and wings iare identical behind the cockpit. The only difference as far as I am aware is the underside airbrake which is shorter on the FRS.1 than the GR.3

The vertical fin is identical for the two types

No doubt there will be others to give specifics as to armament etc.

Trevor

The SHAR inboard wing pylons have a different leading edge profile to the GR3.

Selwyn

• Like 1

Others have covered most of it, the other thing to watch out for is not all GR3s had tie down links on the outriggers. Depending on the timescale, antennae were different too.

re the air brake, the well was the same size, but the rear of the GR3 one was longer so it sat flush on the fuselage

You can also only use the smaller wing tanks as the GR3 didn't use the larger 190 gallon ones.

Edited by Dave Fleming