Ju88 Wingtip colour

I'm building the Zvezda 1/72 Ju88A-17 and the instructions tell you to paint the lower wingtips Yellow. The aircraft in question (from KG26) was based in the Mediterranean theatre in 1944 and I thought in the Med, the wingtips were painted White. Can anyone suggest which colour is correct?

thanks

Mike

From what I've read, you are correct, but the aircraft or unit might have been transferred to the Med from the Eastern front.  Cheers.

What colour is the third letter in the code?

Often the prop spinners were the same colour and sometimes the underwingtips were done in the same color especially if it was a Gruppe Stab machine

But; white is more likely for early Med ops. Late on when the Germans were pushed into Northern Italy [late 43 onwards] it would be yellow

10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

But; white is more likely for early Med ops. Late on when the Germans were pushed into Northern Italy [late 43 onwards] it would be yellow

Which argues that, since this is apparently a  1944 machine, Zvezda got it right?

So Yellow then? In answer to a previous question, it's in standard bomber camouflage, ie RLM 70/71 over 65, unless anyone can tell me it should be 72/73 over 65 but the Zvezda painting guide doesn't use RLM no's, so I was aiming for 70/71, unless proved otherwise.

thanks

Mike

Not that I'm an expert, but if I recall my time at the Luftwaffe Experten forum, the preponderance of opinion was that all of the earlier Ju-88's were in 70/71 before the use of the greys, whether used over land or sea.  Much as I wanted to use 72/73 for a KG 40 '88, 70/71/65 is the way to go.  As an aside, the Do-217's were probably in 72/73 regardless of unit mission, rather than 70/71....I really miss that forum!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, expositor said:

Not that I'm an expert, but if I recall my time at the Luftwaffe Experten forum, the preponderance of opinion was that all of the earlier Ju-88's were in 70/71 before the use of the greys, whether used over land or sea.  Much as I wanted to use 72/73 for a KG 40 '88, 70/71/65 is the way to go.  As an aside, the Do-217's were probably in 72/73 regardless of unit mission, rather than 70/71....I really miss that forum!

http://www.luftwaffe-research-group.org/index.php

You could try the above.  Or alternatively invest in a few (more?) of the better Luftwaffe camouflage books, which are largely where the information in the forums comes from, anyway.