Buccaneer S Mk.2B

After a lot of thinking I've decided to build  Revell's 1:72 Buccaneer for the Made in GB group build. This is a Matchbox kit that has been reboxed, and unfortunately doesn't have the signature folding wings and airbrake. However, ever since I saw the Buccaneer at the London RAF museum I've had a soft spot for the aircraft. 

DSC_2216

the kit is made up of 3 sprues, all pretty clean and flash free, as well as a small clear sprue for the canopy.

DSC_2217

There is a small decal sheet, so the graphics will be minimal, but I love the mean appearance of the aircraft in its desert pink colour scheme.

Gulf

• Like 5

Hi,

Ah, yes I've seen this Buccaneer many times.  It's about time they turned it around  - it looks sad facing the the wall.  But, a good example of a heavily weathered modern jet and an outstanding example of British engineering.

Dave.

• Like 2

I do like the Buccaneer I remember doing the original Airfix issue many years ago Folding wings and nose . Looking forward to yours 

Martin H

• Like 1

The RAF Museum is a compulsory stop every time I find myself in London, and this year is not going to be any different, and I can't wait.

Beautiful and tough looking plane, so you should have a great time with it.

Matchbox kits can be a mixed bag: some are little jewels while others are frustratingly coarse-looking and toy-like. Having never seen the Buccaneer, I have no idea where it stands, so I am looking forward to your build.

Good luck!

JR

• Like 1

Over the last couple of days I have begun work on the Buccaneer, firstly washing the sprues in soapy water and allowing them to dry. From the instructions I realised detailing inside the cockpit, on the ejector seats and fuselage walls is at a minimum, so I decided to add some minor details with the help of Google. 

DSC_2221

The instructions ask for the cockpit walls to be painting anthracite black, from research I discovered they were lighter in appearance, so I dry brushed a coat of light grey over the top and weathered them a little by dry brushing aluminium in places.

DSC_2222

I also added some dials, switches and leavers to the walls to add a hint of realism. I then turned my attention to the pilots and ejector seats. I have painted the pilots in the same colours specified in the instructions. Again the seats were supposed to be painted anthracite black, using research from Google I decided to add more detailing, painting the head rest olive green, the sides of the seats in light gray and adding red labels, so far so good. 

DSC_2223

DSC_2220

• Like 4

So far so good indeed Shellie :speak_cool:

Nice to see you adding some extra detail parts and paintwork in there. The Matchbox canopies were typically fairly clear but thick so while a fully superdetailled 'pit would be wasted I think your extra work will strike the correct ballance of effort and reward :goodjob:

• Like 1

Back working on the build today after a busy week at work. I've been busy securing the pilots in their seats with a spot of Gorilla glue. 

DSC_2270

while they were drying I set to work building the sides of the fuselage where the rear landing gear is housed. This went together really nicely, with no gaps.

DSC_2273

I then began painting the landing gear bays, the instructions are a little vague so I did a spot of research and decided to paint most of the bay grey, with white walls.https://www.flickr.com/gp/149247612@N04/iY6Ueg I then fixed the pilots into the cockpit, again using Gorilla glue, and joined the two halves of the fuselage. Again, this went together with ease, and I secured it with some tape.

DSC_2271

DSC_2272

i have also fixed both halves of the tail airbrake and the tail together, as well as painting the fans, and inside the air intakes.

DSC_2274

I'm really enjoying this build, and it's coming along nicely. 

• Like 4

Yesterday I spent time loading the nose with very small fishing weights, to achieve the 20g the instructions ask. Once the superglue was dry I joined both halves and added some more weight. I then attached the engines and inner wings to the fuselage, this was rather fiddly, required alot of pressure and I still have a large gap on one side.

DSC_2282

I then attached the nose section, which gave the model that iconic Buccaneer look.

DSC_2280

DSC_2281

While this was drying I fixed the outer wings together, and began painting the wheels and undercarriage. 

• Like 2

Spent time today concentrating on the gaps! Using Humbrol filler, I carefully built up layers in the large gap on the left, and filled any gaps along the wings. Once dry I used my trusty micro files to sand off any excess filler, I'm quite happy with the results and am glad to see the back of the huge gap!

DSC_2289

• Like 3

Have just completed some work on the wings. I sanded down the areas where the outer wing would join the inner (the area where they fold on the genuine aircraft), then fixed them into place. I checked the sweep of the wing against photos on Google, and added tape to keep them in position till the glue dries. Starting to look like a Buc now.

DSC_2291

DSC_2290

• Like 6

Since my last post I have given the model a coat of Humbrol rattle can primer. Once dry I preshaded using a mix of brown, black and rust, to create a dirty look. I then mixed Revell flesh and ochre 50-50, to create the desert pink colour of the gulf war aircraft. I then gave the entire aircraft a thin wash, I'm quite happy with the shade, and hope to will look authentic once I have built up tue colour.

DSC_2327

DSC_2328

DSC_2329

• Like 6

I decided to do a spot of preshading on the panel lines using oil pastels. Once I'd drawn over most of the lines, I brushed off any access powder and gave the kit another coat of Humbrol flesh/Humbrol ochre. I'm quite pleased with the overall effect, one more coat should do the trick.

DSC_2348

DSC_2349

DSC_2350

• Like 6

Hi Michelle,

great show so far. These Buccaneers were really grubby, so I think you can go to town on this one.

Good feel on the color: your desert pink looks pretty spot on.

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 1

I do love the Bucc, and the Matchbox kit is one of the few I have finished this year. It is a lovely kit and you are definitely doing it justice.

• Like 2

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:35 PM, rafalbert said:

I do love the Bucc, and the Matchbox kit is one of the few I have finished this year. It is a lovely kit and you are definitely doing it justice.

I'm the same except mine sits on the shelf of doom waiting for me to build up the courage to put the transfers (oops showing my age) on. Or more to the point to try again to use Humbrol Decal-fix brew of the devil stuff.

Keep up the good work Shelliecool.

• Like 1

Got back to it today after a busy week. I had given the model a coat of Quick Shine, so decided to do a spot of panel line washing. Looking at photos of the Buc at the London RAF museum, these aircraft really were dirty. So I have opted for a brown Tamiya pin line wash, to look like dirty sand, and another wash of Tamiya Bronze to add a bit of rust. I have to say I'm really enjoying this kit.

DSC_2398

DSC_2399

DSC_2400

DSC_2401

• Like 2

Today I applied the decals to the model. I have to say it makes a change to have so few to apply, however sometimes it's these little touches that makes the kit come to life. As usual I used decal fix to secure them, and apart from one stick moment where I realised I had pulled the flag off, and had to reapply it all went on smoothly and with ease.

DSC_2764

DSC_2765

she's really starting to look the part.

• Like 3

I have been concentrating on the undercarriage over the last couple of days. I carefully secured the nose wheel in place, using my hobby knife to make the hole slightly larger, creating a better fit. I then fitted the larger wheels into the undercarriage pieces, there is an option on this kit to have the rear wheels mobile. As Ive not made a kit with such an option, I decided to go with the moving rear wheels. These i fitted with Gorilla glue for extra strength, and went together beautifully.

DSC_2770

I then glued the refueling probe into place on the nose. Next step is to dirty her up slightly with some further weathering. I'm really pleased so far.

DSC_2767

DSC_2768

DSC_2769DSC_2771

• Like 3