Donaldson International 707

Rb277170

That's interesting to know. Thanks. So, it's obviously the top half of the forward part of the fuselage that's out rather than the nose and chin.

Next time I'm tackling the Minicraft 707 I'll have a closer look at the nose area to see what I can do. I presume the Airfix 707 is a better shape so would it be good to use it as a comparative?

On 6/19/2017 at 18:52, Eric Mc said:

By surgery I meant "amputation". I presume the Minicraft nose has to be "amputated" before the replacement Contrail nose is fitted?

No, it is a resin replacement that fits in place of the clear kit part.

http://www.contrailsmodels.com/Other_Products.html

Dave

Thanks. I checked it out and it seems a fairly simple "fix".

I may invest in one for the next time I build the Minicraft 707 - although I may also have a go at using more old fashioned techniques like Milliput and sanding using the Airfix 707 as a guide..

The kit arrived on Monday, but I only really had chance to look at it yesterday.  I see the issues with the cockpit glazed section that looks a bit too narrow . Actually the illustration on the box top, it's a TWA version looks a bit suspect. So I think I'll go down the replacement cockpit route . As I intend to get another one at some stage I'll write off to Contrails and get a couple of replacements. 

Thanks to everyone for advice on this and offer of parts . Very kind of you all

Russell

Let us know how you get on with ordering and buying from Contrail. I've never bought anything from them but they do seem to have a useful list of bits and bobs for the airliner modeller.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to guys for offers of sending me replacement cockpits from their own supplies . Much appreciated and really very friendly of you. However, I have to stand on my own two feet and don't want to deplete your reserves for future projects you may have. So, I ordered two replacement cockpits from Contrails yesterday . Let's see how that works out. Oh and I picked up another Minicraft kit!  I think I might actually complete this one in the intended TWA colour scheme . 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just another update , that's the Contrails parts arrived. Not bad service two weeks from Florida. Certainly outpaced me as apart from acquiring kits , decals and cockpits I haven't actually started them yet!

On 7/20/2017 at 7:38 AM, Eric Mc said:

Thanks for the update. It instills a bit of confidence when you can report a decent service from an overseas supplier.

Isn't that a little patronising?  Most "overseas suppliers" provide a good service and some are outstanding.  I've just received an e-mail from HaHen in Germany to tell me that the order I placed yesterday has been dispatched.  There is one major exception (Modelarstwoalexander) but that operation is probably fraudulent and with warnings about them all over this and other sites anyone who deals with them is the author of their own misfortune. Otherwise my experience is that "overseas suppliers" normally provide a service which is as good as anything offered within the UK.  The Roden DC-6 which I posted in RFI the other day came from a Polish eBay seller with whom I've dealt several times.  Not only did it arrive promptly but it was £10.50 cheaper than a well known UK supplier.