Donaldson International 707

Rb277170

10 minutes ago, David H said:

I'd say no not really. The diameter of the nacelle, the length as well of the intake openings make it a fools errand. However they might be worth holding on to, in order to scratch build JT-4s for the early Intercontinental long-fuselage 707s or the exotic 707-227 series. However it largely comes down to how much heavy lifting you want to do on your own, as opposed to taking the easier way out and ordering aftermarket from those who really specialize in this stuff.

Kurt Lehman and Jennings Heilig are really more authorities on this than i.

-d-

I have been scouting around looking for white metal or resin JT3s but not seen any in stock from the usual sources.

I managed to pick up an Airfix VC10 tanker for £25 . So it's a Standard. Couldn't make up my mind between BCal colours or BUA . Eventually decided on BUA and Caledonian for a B707 . Going to have to get another 707 now. My Donaldson decals arrived today, but I'll do my Britannia and Aer Linus 737s first.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:37 AM, Rb277170 said:

Thanks for suggestions guys. Sent off for a Minicraft 707 and the relevant decals from 26 decals . In the course of doing it bought another VC10 and BUA decals to go with it

Ahh that's what we want to see, getting kits into stock that can then be built later on, I have about 400 of those

• Like 2

On 15/06/2017 at 5:37 PM, Rb277170 said:

Thanks for suggestions guys. Sent off for a Minicraft 707 and the relevant decals from 26 decals . In the course of doing it bought another VC10 and BUA decals to go with it

What are you planning to do about correcting the nose on the Minicraft 707?  Contrails do a drop-in replacement for the transparent section which is a lot better than nothing and as Jessica says Two Mikes do a complete replacement nose although I'm not sure about availability.  I've seen quite a decent result achieved by filing and sanding (a lot of filing and sanding!) and I can give you a spare glazed section from a Daco 737 if you're totally stuck.  

• Like 1

That's very good of you Skodadriver . I hadn't realised it was that bad and went for the Minicraft one on the basis that that's what Ray had designed the decals for. I'll have a look at that Contrails replacement section first and see what I think. The kit has yet to arrive . As you know I'm still pretty new to this , so don't fancy carving up kits and grafting on new noses just yet. 

I do have an Airfix 707 that I was going to construct as supplied as BOAC , but if the Minicraft kits that bad I may use the Airfix one and maybe use engines from the minicraft one. Would that be sensible? Airfix 707s seem relatively available. The Minicraft one was only £12. Compare to some of the costs of Railway modelling , thats not huge.if it's that bad It may end in the parts bin. 

I know this will be heresey to some , but I'm trying to recreate the airliners I remember from my youth, as long as they capture the appearance of the prototype I may not be going for 100% accuracy.  The wing cord on the 707 was something I was blissfully unaware of and may not bother with. 

Graeme , yes I'm building up quite a collection. In my hunt for the 707  I stumbled across the aforementioned VC10, and also a DC8-61 and DC9-30. It is addictive.  I reckon I've got about 15 kits now . Must get on and construct a few .  I think it's the 737s up first . Aer Lingus green cheat line as I remember at Glasgow circa 71/72

Thanks  for all the encouragement guys

Russell

Edited by Rb277170

I built the Minicraft 707-320B/C a good few years ago. It's not the best model I've ever built but I'm posting some pictures here so you can judge for yourself how "off" you think the nose section is. Personally, I was happy to leave it alone.

t6S84zJR.jpg?0617

rMKJBSGi.jpg?0617

• Like 4

Nice model and one of my favourite liveries too. I think it looks pretty good. If I can achieve anything like that I'll be happy. Not sure if the first pic shows a bit of an issue round cockpit , but seconds pic looks good to me. I'll check kit out when it arrives. Did you have to do a lot of filling to get that Result?

Nothing of any note from what I can remember.

I have a couple of AIrfix 707-420s to do at some point and I bet they'll require more filler than the Minicraft kit.

Not that using filler is an issue for me. I'm working on the Airfix Comet 4B at the moment and that needed a fair bit of gap filling. I'm still enjoying the build..

The 737 will be in a  similar scheme as the 707 above.

The main difference with the Aer Lingus liveries of that period (1964 - 1974)  is that, on the trans-Atlantic fleet (720, 707 and later the 747), the logo read "Irish International - Aer Lingus". On the European fleet, it read "Aer Lingus - Irish International".

• Like 1

Good to know Eric. I've got 26 decals version of that livery for 737 . Hadn't realise the distinction on titling . 

What paints did you use use for your model, the wing in particular?. I know people quote xtracolour through Hannants but I didn't think they could send paint by post anymore.  Any Halfords colours a good match?

Russell

Edited by Rb277170

The Minicraft 707s aren't that bad.  The nose shape, particularly the cockpit roof, is really the only major issue.  Drop in the Contrails part in place of the kit item and you're well on the way to a good model.

I agree about not getting hung up on 100% accuracy. I generally apply the principle that if a model looks right it won't be far wrong. Unfortunately the Minicraft cockpit does look wrong and is one of these things which cries out to be fixed.

• Like 1

In your opinion. All modellers have the freedom to decide how much they are offended by a kit's perceived inaccuracy. For me, the Minicraft 707 was not so awful that it needed major surgery. Indeed, I would never have known there was a problem if people here on BM had not mentioned it.

There was a similar conversation recently regarding how wrong the Airfix Vanguard is.

And there was another about how wrong the engines are on the Roden 720.

Sometimes, all these highlighting of errors just destroys a person's enthusiasm to actually go ahead and build something.

• Like 2

Thanks Skodadriver.  Do you know the website for Contrails . A quick google hasnt shown anything up

Just found it . Should have thought to put word models in! Looks like they have replacement cockpits. Might give it a go if postage rates not too much. Look like dome good engine kits too. Thanks

Edited by Rb277170

That's OK Eric . Your kit looks great but I do like to know any issues cropping up , so thanks Skodadriver. It's always good to know issues , then you can decide whether to live with it or do something about it. Haven't got the kit yet, so I'll wait and see. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

In your opinion. All modellers have the freedom to decide how much they are offended by a kit's perceived inaccuracy. For me, the Minicraft 707 was not so awful that it needed major surgery. Indeed, I would never have known there was a problem if people here on BM had not mentioned it.

There was a similar conversation recently regarding how wrong the Airfix Vanguard is.

Sometimes, all these highlighting of errors just destroys a person's enthusiasm to actually go ahead and build something.

Well that's me put in my place.

My post wasn't actually directed to you. Please feel free to ignore anything I write if it upsets you. Nowhere did I say that the Minicraft 707 needs "major surgery". It doesn't.

• Like 1

I suppose it's down to whether whether you consider chopping the nose off and replacing it is major surgery. To me it is.

It's up to Rb21770 to decide how he wants to build his Minicraft 707.

By the way, I didn't assume your post was "directed at me". I just wanted to express what I thought about the Minicraft 707 and I wanted to show the Rb21770 what it looked like more or less out of the box.

• Like 1

Buying a replacement resin part and popping it on to the model in place of the kit cockpit glazing is hardly "major surgery".  

Of course it's up to Rb21770 how he builds his models, as it is with any modeller.  At the end of the day the only test of a model's success is whether the builder is happy with it.  That said, some of us like to try to help less experienced modellers by pointing out problems and issues with kits and suggesting fixes. (The incorrect shape of the Minicraft 707 cockpit is far from being "my opinion"). Rb21770 is free to take the advice offered or not.  It would be a sad day for Britmodeller if experienced modellers were discouraged from offering help and advice for fear of being accused of "destroying a person's enthusiasm."

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

I always, if I know, explain the differences so the builder knows so if they want  accuracy (because I wouldn't know!) and not a must do it or its just rubbish. TBH a VC10 with the wrong stubs, beaver tails for the  aircraft modelled doesn't matter unless it matters to the builder. Its not supposed to be a factory Blue print and it isn't possible to be that good anyway.

• Like 1

Exactly. It's the builder's prerogative to decide how much extra work (if any) they want to do to "accurize" their model. We're all different and we all have budgets.

Edited by Eric Mc

8 hours ago, Rb277170 said:

Thanks Skodadriver.  Do you know the website for Contrails . A quick google hasnt shown anything up

Just found it . Should have thought to put word models in! Looks like they have replacement cockpits. Might give it a go if postage rates not too much. Look like dome good engine kits too. Thanks

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Dave (Skodadriver) regarding the nose shape issue of the Minicraft kit. It certainly does look wrong when built from the box. The work involved is really quite minimal but the improvement is massive and well worth the small effort.

If you care to drop me a PM I have a spare replacement nose section here somewhere that you can use.

Chris.

Eric there is no surgery involved at all with the Contrails part. You just insert the replacement cockpit for the Minicraft part. If you were to sand and shape I suspect you would sand most of it away!

Cheers,

Ian