That Airfix 1/48 Tornado... GR1 in this case... god help us all.

RMP2

I have one here, dont ask me why, I just do.

Now. I have limited cabinet space and too many kits. Sound familiar? Sooooo Ive been assessing my options. One of which being to build the cheaper/less cash value ones and sell the nicer, more rare and "took me bloody ages to find and will kill me to sell" kits.

Which leads me onto THAT Tornado....

Has anyone built it pretty much OOB to a half decent "3 footer" standard?

Ive done the Google image search thing but it throws up too many other brand Tornados for any sort of judgement to be made.

As much as I like the idea of chucking some life at a dodgy, old kit, donkey flogging and turd polishing attempts arent my thing. And No - I wont buy any more kits!!

So. Can anyone prove to me that the Airfix 48th Tonka can actually be done without "too much" trouble?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Sooooo Ive been assessing my options. One of which being to build the cheaper/less cash value ones and sell the nicer, more rare and "took me bloody ages to find and will kill me to sell" kits.

Why on Earth would you do that??! Unless you're seriously strapped I'd bung the low-rent stuff on eBay as a job lot or several, and recoup what you can.

(Says the oaf sitting on a stack of 'once in a lifetime' wallet-bashers that probably have some residual value but will never see daylight until my executors gratefully trouser a tenner for the lot...:wonder:)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AngstROM said:

Why on Earth would you do that??! Unless you're seriously strapped I'd bung the low-rent stuff on eBay as a job lot or several, and recoup what you can.

Couple of reasons - selling off the cheap stuff isnt really worth it from a cash point of view, the nicer bits.... painful but I dont have room for them all.

Ive not had the best luck with work recently so the Fun & Toys Funds are low. Its summer (sort of) and I need some track tyres for trackdays is what it all boils down to! :) However - this mornings interview seems to have gone well, so Im holding off pulling the trigger just yet.

• Like 1

Noone at all managed to salvage a half decent Tornado from this box of plastic then? Noone? At all?

Sounds like a challenge to me does that!

1 hour ago, RMP2 said:

:) However - this mornings interview seems to have gone well, so Im holding off pulling the trigger just yet.

'Nuff said! I'm sure we'll all be keeping everything crossed for you, Sir. :nodding:

• Like 1

Hope your interview produces a good result flor you.

The Airfix GR. 1 in all its forms, is not their finest hour, but it is better than the F. 3 (at least the rear cockpit's the right length) and the fin root heat exchanger is better-shaped than Italeri's.  It can be mad to look Tornado shaped but you will need to use quite a lot of filler on the front fuselage joint at least and intake blanks of one form or another are compulsorily mandatory to hide the unbelievable lack of detail inside.i

• Like 1

I did the EF-3 boxing some time ago. Added quite a bit of AM ( not for this kit of course and not really nevessary)

Wip in some GB(tornado?) here on BM if intetersted. (Firebirds display scheme)

I liked the challenhe and the result!

The Gr bocongs should a similar challenge. Def not worse!

Good luck!!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, stever219 said:

Hope your interview produces a good result flor you.

The Airfix GR. 1 in all its forms, is not their finest hour, but it is better than the F. 3 (at least the rear cockpit's the right length) and the fin root heat exchanger is better-shaped than Italeri's.  It can be mad to look Tornado shaped but you will need to use quite a lot of filler on the front fuselage joint at least and intake blanks of one form or another are compulsorily mandatory to hide the unbelievable lack of detail inside.i

Cheers, all good so far and more on the cards - bit like buses. :)

The dry fit looks like a Tornado, I will give it that. Its also looking like an advert for polyfilla. Its not putting me off though, I mean few people moan about the likes of SMER kits, it is what it is.

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

Wip in some GB(tornado?) here on BM if intetersted. (Firebirds display scheme)

Thanks, I will have a rummage. A GR1A in II squadron markings is likely my aim for the thing to fit in with my Jag and Phantom, maybe even a Hunter - a historic lineup if you like.

2 hours ago, silverkite211 said:

I was given one by a friend, who told me that I should really consider it a nice weapons set that just happens to have a crappy Tornado kit included.

A nice weapons set? And youre still friends???? You guys must go waaaaaayyyy back. ;)

Was tempted by the JP233, but think I will just go with 3 or 4 fuel tanks, recce the thing and swerve the lovely weapons set....

I reckon this all answers my question. Cheers fellas.

13 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Cheers, all good so far and more on the cards - bit like buses. :)

The dry fit looks like a Tornado, I will give it that. Its also looking like an advert for polyfilla. Its not putting me off though, I mean few people moan about the likes of SMER kits, it is what it is.

Thanks, I will have a rummage. A GR1A in II squadron markings is likely my aim for the thing to fit in with my Jag and Phantom, maybe even a Hunter - a historic lineup if you like.

A nice weapons set? And youre still friends???? You guys must go waaaaaayyyy back. ;)

Was tempted by the JP233, but think I will just go with 3 or 4 fuel tanks, recce the thing and swerve the lovely weapons set....

Nice weapons set is relative!

but where else do/ did you get JP233 or Hindenburger tanks? some? kits also had Paveway LGB included

and do not forget, the kit looks and looked like a Tornado! no strange shape interpretations!

here is my WIP if interested:

• Like 1

Just now, exdraken said:

Nice weapons set is relative!

but where else do/ did you get JP233 or Hindenburger tanks? some? kits also had Paveway LGB included

and do not forget, the kit looks and looked like a Tornado! no strange shape interpretations!

here is my WIP if interested:

Cheers. Yes re the shape, it does look right. Likewise re the JP233, Im not overjoyed by the LGBs or the ALARM missiles but as you say they are at least present and could be worse!

Will take a look at your WIP now over a celebratory beer - just been given my old job back! Dump a job one week, get given one back the next, doesnt happen often enough!! :D Thats things like the Su-24 off the potential sales list!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RMP2 said:

Cheers. Yes re the shape, it does look right. Likewise re the JP233, Im not overjoyed by the LGBs or the ALARM missiles but as you say they are at least present and could be worse!

Will take a look at your WIP now over a celebratory beer - just been given my old job back! Dump a job one week, get given one back the next, doesnt happen often enough!! :D Thats things like the Su-24 off the potential sales list!!!

First of all, congrats to your old new job! :thumbsup: Do not loose it again too fast though ;) 

yeah, the weapons are at least present ... detailing can be done by the modeller....

I  do not think you get Alarm missiles anywhere else in the meantime...., 

19 minutes ago, exdraken said:

First of all, congrats to your old new job! :thumbsup: Do not loose it again too fast though ;) 

yeah, the weapons are at least present ... detailing can be done by the modeller....

I  do not think you get Alarm missiles anywhere else in the meantime...., 

Cheers. Perhaps they made the wrong people redundant last year...? ;) 2 job offers in 2 days and mid interview process for another.... all happens at once it seems.

True re weapons, I think Ive over spoilt myself with resin bits and I forget that perhaps I should put some effort in.

Good point re ALARMs, I dont recall seeing them anywhere else, not that I have looked.

Right, Im supposed to be Frogfooting, best get on with it and leave the wine alone - didnt have any beer left, some bugger seems to have drunk it. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silverkite211 said:

And, it is still a better Tornado that the old ESCI kit. Sweet Honey Mustard what a waste of plastic that was!

And you get better tanks (fins...) and more appropriate weapons/pylons than the Italeri kit as well.... 

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

And you get better tanks (fins...) and more appropriate weapons/pylons than the Italeri kit as well.... 

Its almost sounding like a really good kit. :)

• Like 2

Here's one that I built  in 2015.

Thread contains photos of my other Airfix 1/48 Tornados.

Kit is a bit crude, but judge for yourself how it scrubs up.

Airfix_TornadoCamoP.jpg

Airfix_Tornado_GR1.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
New Photo
  • Like 1

Pay no heed to theplasticsurgeon: he's quite rightly suffering scarcely bearable pangs of remorse for having talked me into buying the Frontline Fighters Jaguar/Tornado EF.3 boxing in some outlandish scale where the foot of man ought never to tread.  It was admittedly at a tempting price but I should have remembered my own maxim of  "it's not a bargain if you didn't want it in the first place".

NOT POSTED BY RAYPRIT - could the real poster own up please? :)  Check this thread for details of what's happening.

Edited by Mike
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rayprit said:

Pay no heed to theplasticsurgeon: he's quite rightly suffering scarcely bearable pangs of remorse for having talked me into buying the Frontline Fighters Jaguar/Tornado EF.3 boxing in some outlandish scale where the foot of man ought never to tread.  It was admittedly at a tempting price but I should have remembered my own maxim of  "it's not a bargain if you didn't want it in the first place".

Such scandalousness!!

Just remember - theres always the Kittyhawk Jaguar...... ;)

Cheers, Mr Surgeon. I will have a goosey.

14 hours ago, rayprit said:

I should like to apologise to Mr Rayprit for the sentiments he appears to have uttered.  Apparently, till I logged off and on again, BM was under the illusion that I was he.  But no, 'twas I, Seahawk, all along.

10 hours ago, Seahawk said:

I should like to apologise to Mr Rayprit for the sentiments he appears to have uttered.  Apparently, till I logged off and on again, BM was under the illusion that I was he.  But no, 'twas I, Seahawk, all along.

Ah, I was wondering whom this Rayprit was, that I had so viciously influenced. Was considering witness statements and DNA samples in support of the accusation.

Should have realised  -  once I saw that maxim "It's not a bargain if you didn't want it in the first place"!