Fordson Thames 7V Tractor unit

Mancunian airman

I recent 'found' this TRUX kit amongst several that I have 'stored' for years and want to ask the question:

34758497820_ca71910194_z.jpg

34980343182_0b210c74e3_z.jpg

'What did this tractor unit tow ?

I have a sneak feeling something to do with Monty.

I suspect its not an RAF type tractor unit so dont think it belongs in front of a Queen Mary trailer.

Any guidance please . . . 

thank you 

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman

A 7V semi-tractor and map caravan combination specially built for Monty by Fordson in 1944. He had 2 other rigid chassis caravan vehicles mounting captured Italian bodies on Leyland and Mack 6x4s.  I guess this is the presentation photo with the Shed Heads at Ford.  Camouflage scheme is almost certainly black over SCC15 olive green.

Image result for montgomery command caravan

The real thing is now at IWM Duxford along with the Leyland and Mack caravans and his Grant command tank.  But repainted in gloss deep bronze green by the looks of this photo.

Image result for montgomery command caravan

RAF also had the Tructor conversion by Allan Taylor.  This was shortened to 8'3" wb and fitted with a low range transfer case, vacuum brake and drawbar hitch.  It had a tall-ish planked tailgate body with mesh extensions up to cab roof level.  Can't find an online picture, but if you can track down a copy of the Olyslager/Vanderveen Fighting Vehicles Directory WW2 book there's one on p193.  That book doesn't list the 7V being used as a semi-tractor, only as a tipper and the Tructor.  This fits with it being a one-off special.  Wespe Models have already kitted this tractor, and possibly the trailer too, in 1/76 and 1/48.

• Like 1

There was a little known short wheelbase 7V conversion done by Allen Taylor for the RAF- used as aircaft tugs, but kept a short load bed too. There's a solitary picture in the Tankograd British Military Trucks of World War Two.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?53674-Raf-allen-tailor-convercions

Bad news is I think they were mainly employed on the roads bringing newly imported aircraft from the docks.

Edited by Killingholme

That's the Tructor, Mr K.  Allen Taylor did these conversions on all sorts of chassis even down to 8cwt pickups.  They were essentially ballast drawbar tractors for heavy-ish haulage.  Yes, road-going rather than aircraft tug.  I think I spotted one on the frequently-aired clip of P38's being towed through some town or another.  It was shown on a couple of programmes aired for the D Day anniversary.  If the photo you found is a rear 3/4 view from the left then it's the same one as in the Olyslager book.  I couldn't find any others on line.

I think the Tructor is a more interesting idea than a tipper.  You could look up what drawbar trailers the RAF used.  They must have had a few as they had a fair range of drawbar tractors, right up to Scammell Constructors and Thornycroft Antars post-war.  I imagine cargo trailers, maybe bulk fuel and probably bomb and torpedo.  Probably also low-loaders for airfield construction and repair equipment.  I don't think Queen Marys could be fitted with a front dolly.  But at the end of the day the Tructor was still a truck.  Short load bed, yes, but good payload.  So I expect that on any given day you could find them being used as trucks.

Not being able to find any 7V Tructor pics, here's one of a preserved WOT3 Tructor.  The 7V version had the body mounted further forward with little rear overhang.  The body may have been a little longer and the wheelbase a little shorter (8' 3"). The mesh side extensions are not here, but came up to the top of the cab roof.  WOT3 Tructor pics are certainly easier to find than any other.  Begs the question how many 7V versions there were: maybe not many.

Related image

The picture of the new trailer for Monty  does not show 'black over green' but SCC. 1 (dark brown) on SCC.2 (brown).  It was built in late 1943 before SCC.15 Olive Drab came into use.  Look at the low contrast between the colours, Monty's beret is black.  This is a classic application of the MTP.46 camouflage scheme.