2 x Airfix Lancasters A08002

I shall be building a couple of these . . .

34195706870_95e6294de5_z.jpg

because I picked the kits up from Ebay at a bargain cos they were in bags . . .

34754436690_8f30ca262a_z.jpg

I have to complete these by the end of the month because I have a Vehicle GB to start on another forum. 

Fortunately I have built a few of these so know whats what and shall henceforth crack on when work and time permits.

I have already made the start and my first issue is the nose fairing around the front turret, it has to go.

34754438520_e2a1fa7e75_z.jpg 

after some filing . . .

33344011776_ec7f167b0f_z.jpg

Something I haven't done before on this particular kit is increase the bomb load from a single 4000lb 'Cookie' and 6 x 500lbs 

to 12 x 500lbs and possibly some iincendiaries from the Bomber Re-supply set. I drilled additional holes for the additional bombs

34976216922_817ffe776a_z.jpg

I have also drilled out the end of the exhaust shrouds as is my particular thing . . .

35010651091_ab62f1404e_z.jpg

For the rest of the evening I shall do some painting . . .

See ya soon

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 11

Surprisingly I haven't got any Cockpit green so that put paid to a few items being painted, however, I continued with doing some other bits . . .

One of the aircraft will be open by the main entrance . . .

34333797763_e4f1bd399a_z.jpg

34333796773_f77e8ca77e_z.jpg

This particular series kit has the holes for the bombs visible in the cockpit floor so rather than fill them with putty, a piece of 5 thou.

35104009746_9cf4897ae7_z.jpg

and as i like to smooth over the engine nacelles to obtain no visible joint lines of the front radiator piece, this little 'tip' (?) prevent any possible damage to the propeller(s).

Its a small hollow lollipop stick that allows the prop itself to be inserted later via a shaft of 60 thou.

35143995395_9f9530b57f_z.jpg

nearly time for some 'shuteye' I think :sleeping:

TTFN chaps

Ian

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

:popcorn:

I have a couple of the Airfix kits, just wondering why you removed the fairing around the forward turret, are there fit issues or is it an accuracy thing?

It down to accuracy, look at any photo of a Lancaster and it does not have such a fairing.

The front turret still fits when you have removed it.

Hope this helps.

Ian

• Like 1

Plenty of painting done . . .

Several Sub-assemblies also done, tail-planes, tyres, engine nacelles, main wings and the  bombs X 12.

I might add that the nacelles need additional work to eliminate the joint seams.:popcorn:

Paint will be drying overnight. :hourglass:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

It down to accuracy, look at any photo of a Lancaster and it does not have such a fairing.

The front turret still fits when you have removed it.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Thanks, Ian, it certainly does!

• Like 1

I have found with this particular molding that the inner nacelles don't fit to well particularly at the rear underneath.

Without any force, you will discover that in order to obtain the top flush with the wings the nacelle just doesn't sit to well on the wing beneath so I added a piece of approx 10 thou plastic-card and this will be trimmed when dry and sanded flush for a neat job.

34480361163_6062041903_z.jpg

Trying to show the flush engine nacelle with the top wing section . . .

34480361743_e5f9f526fb_z.jpg

Cracking on with a few more bits,  the wheels and painting the tailplanes.

Ian

Re-worded
  • Like 4

In order to get a good joint, particularly along the top of the fuselage, I find it easier to glue in sections to maintain a level of control over the process.

First photo shows glue applied at the rear turret up to the mid-upper position

35143851322_2437066527_z.jpg

Second section is forward to the cockpit canopy . . . .

35143850112_858ac91b0f_z.jpg

Finally the nose section . . .

35143852252_eab9355446_z.jpg

Smudges of glue has removed some paint but that can quickly touched up come final painting, by brush always.

More to come 

Ian

• Like 7

A good start but it is a tough call to get one Lancaster built in a month let alone two! I shall follow your progress with interest.

Martian

• Like 1

I am glad the weekend is over and the other half can leave me to get on with things far more important than shopping, (Dont tell her I posted that :lalala:) LOL

Got the mask out and camouflaged both the two fuselages and main wings . . .

35044318620_c3d1a40c38_z.jpg

and the resultant scheme in the process of drying . . .

34589402954_3468e83d9b_z.jpg

Now to get on with those small but necessary paint jobs such as yellow propeller tips and red-line fuselage markings :idea:

Thanks again for poppin by  . . .

Ian

• Like 5

I have painted both of the fuselages Black ready now for the inserted of the glazing then the bomb-bay (s).

35413460376_6e5609a738_z.jpg

I painted the walk lines with a ruler likewise the red lines beneath the main wings and tail-planes.

The red lines on the bomb-bay(s) were masked because of the curve . . . .

35413177556_d6c7570406_z.jpg

The turret framings have been painted but I have yet to do the glazing which maybe in the next night or two . . . :idea:

and before I forget, the decals have been sourced and the second aircraft is not one I thought I was going to build  . . . (Still a 100 Squadron kite though).

Its that time I'm afraid  :sleeping:

Ian

Added photo
  • Like 3

This is great to watch Ian. I love this kit; I also got a couple in bags from the auction site around 4 years ago. 

Last built it around 13 years ago as a Christmas present to my father;

I didn't know about the front turret fairing.

Will the kit turret still fit?

Also, could I ask the paints you used for the Dark Earth and Dark Green?

Superb and rapid progress!

Best regards 

TonyT

7 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Paint looks good Ian, how do you create the masks, resized kit instructions?

Ray

I used the kit instruction camouflage plan. Knowing the wingspan of the Lancaster; 102ft x 4mm equals 408mm, I took the plan to a Copy shop and had it enlarged onto 30gram card.

35044318620_c3d1a40c38_z.jpg

I am currently building several 100 Squadron aircraft and if nothing else, this 'mask' ensures I have the same camouflage pattern on each Lancaster . . .

33762372555_18f17c7f08_z.jpg

I hope this helps 

Ian

• Like 3

On 6/25/2017 at 7:01 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

This is great to watch Ian. I love this kit; I also got a couple in bags from the auction site around 4 years ago. 

Last built it around 13 years ago as a Christmas present to my father;

I didn't know about the front turret fairing.

Will the kit turret still fit?

Also, could I ask the paints you used for the Dark Earth and Dark Green?

Superb and rapid progress!

Best regards 

TonyT

Tony

On the actual kit, the front turret fairing is raised proud from the fuselage. I simply file it flat so it is flat to the fuselage, I mask it to protect the detail . . .

32537380434_06a4d089fd_z.jpg

Compare the nose on these Lancasters to that on the kit and I think you will appreciate the difference

33926718521_9d6b9ba962_z.jpg

The turret still fits.

I use Humbrol 29 for the Dark Earth and Humbrol 116 for the Dark Green. Airfix recommend Hu 30 but it is not nearly dark enough.

My 'Green' on this occasion does look slightly pale but I can live with the variation, the aircraft did live outside on remote airfields :D

I hope this helps

Ian

• Like 1

I have put some decals on this morning . . .

35520802795_095aff29bb_z.jpg

Applied 'Klear', left overnight and applied the decals. Going out soon so I shall leave till tomorrow before applying some more 'Klear'.

When that has dried I tend to spray with 'The Army Painter' Anti Shine Matt varnish.

I shall also complete the rest of the decals tomorrow and then insert the glazing and bomb-bay(s)

Thanks again for looking in  . . .

Ian

• Like 1

Ian,

I bought one of the 'kit in the bag only' kits off eBay not long ago, to go with a kit I've had lying around for ages. I've been watching your build(s) with interest.  I like your idea of skinning the cockpit area  above the bombays, and opening out the fronts of the exhaust shrouds.

I was confused by your treatment if the front turret surrounds at first - I thought you'd cut them off till I realised you'd rubbed them down!.

What has surprised me is that you've glued the fuselag sides together before adding the Bombay.  I've always glued the Bombay to one half, along with the cockpit interior, before buttoning up the fuselage sides.  I'm watching your build closely.

Have you done anything about detailing the rear fuselage on the example you've cut out the entrance door?  That I DO want to see!

Thanks for for sharing your builds with us,

Jonny