Waterloo Uniform references

I want to do several mounted figures from Waterloo, including a British 10th Hussar and a Brunswick Hussar.

Can anyone recommend a good reference source for uniform details and colours?

I am currently building the Airfix 54mm 10th Hussar and finding several conflicting sources. The colours suggested by Airfix in the kit are quite colourful but don't seem to be fully supported by other sources (?) - how accurate are they?

Thanks for any assistance,

PR

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about actual shades of colours used.

I've seen, literally, in front of my own eyes, dozens of actual uniforms of both Foot and Dragoon regiments.

The differences in shades of colour and cut of uniforms was quite remarkable; eg the overall trousers for the Foot were regulation grey, but they varied from a very pale grey to very dark, shakoes might have been similar but some had a taller, or wider, front board, the peak varied from square cut to semicircular. The lacing and facing of the 27th Foot was 'Buff', and it varied from a pale white-ish yellow thru cream to a yellow as dark as RAF trainer yellow, an officer's jacket even had gold thread woven thru the lacing giving it yet a difference appearance.

Uniforms were not as uniform as today with mass industrial dyeing by one company. Regiments bought their cloth and uniform where-ever it could be got cheapest. In horse regiments all men and officers generally bought their own uniforms; officers bought the best cloth and lace they could and had the best tailors; horse troopers and sergeants had second best quality. They all followed the basic rules on the style but the material, colour shade and cut varied to the person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This probably won't be much help as I think they are long out of print. Almark published a range of booklets in the 80's about Napoleonic uniforms. I've got the one on French uniforms and they were very useful at the time.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks gentlemen, appreciate the guidance. I'll follow those ideas up. 

Thanks too for the heads up regards the uniform variations. I think I am guilty of applying modern day thinking so it's great to get such first hand experience.

Makes sense when you think about it - certainly takes the pressure off a bit! 🙃

PR

• Like 1

Thanks mate. I've had a go at using different google and noticed this book was mentioned. 

I'll see if I can track it down. There seems to be a few different interpretations of uniform, perhaps back to what was suggested regards each person getting their own kit, so slightly different colours, etc.

PR

• Like 2

A lot of the Cavalry, esp. the Heavy Cavarly were fresh from the UK for the Waterloo campaign (hence their over exuberance during the battle) and thus would have been reasonably accoutred, on the other hand the Light Cavalry Regiments had (mainly) served in the Peninsular and their kit was supplied over a longer time and would by default have had variances, especially in overalls etc.  Apart from the officers I don't think there was much in the way of privately sourced equipment..

I'm  out in the cave later and have both the  Haythornthwait and Osprey books and I'll have a read up for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Thanks mate. I've had a go at using different google and noticed this book was mentioned. 

I'll see if I can track it down. There seems to be a few different interpretations of uniform, perhaps back to what was suggested regards each person getting their own kit, so slightly different colours, etc.

PR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uniforms-Waterloo-Colour-18th-June/dp/0713707143/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1496995006&sr=1-2&keywords=uniforms+of+Waterloo

I don't know what the postage to Australia  would be. I'd go for the hard back, I've had mine sine 1977 and it is still in good condition. I have a wargamming friend who bought it on my recommendation abut got the paperback and it is dropping to pieces after a couple of years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I'm  out in the cave later and have both the  Haythornthwait and Osprey books and I'll have a read up for you.

OK a quick look at Haythornthwait and Osprey book but a quick look around the web came up with this

http://unluckygeneral.blogspot.ie/2015/04/uniform-guide-10th-hussars-prince-of.html

Both of the above publications images are in here so it might save you some hunting around.  It seems to cover most detail including the shift to the red shako.  It also covers the Overall which would have been worn with short boots on campaign.  

Hope this helps..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much guys. That is fantastic info.

I have lashed out and bought the book (hard cover - thanks for the tip)

The Unlucky General info is absolutely priceless - that has answered so many questions for this newby - thank you.

I feel a work in progress coming on (another! have also started an HMS Victory - Airfix, and now a 10th Hussar - also Airfix, and a Merc. Oh dear, I have an illness! :) )

Really appreciate your guidance, thank you.

PR 

Edited by Peter Roberts
Spelling errors
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late to this party but ...

Uniform dyes were 'natural' (e.g. vegetable, or animal) and not as well fixed as more modern products.

Natural dyes tend to fade faster in sunlight than the modern, synthetic, equivalents.

There was a thunder storm on the night of 17th/18th June (before the battle of Waterloo), and there are stories of soldiers having to whiten their straps because the dye from their jackets was running, and staining their equipment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Robert

Sorry. Late picking up your post.

That is interesting - this would mean there would be some fading of uniform colours and also staining of braid? I'd love to see that in a model contest and how the judges react to that one! :)

Thanks for the added info!

PR 

BRITISH CAVALRY UNIFORMS Since 1660 ISBN 0 7137 1043 8

BRITISH INFANTRY UNIFORMS Since 1660 ISBN 0 7137 1127 2

ARMIES OF THE NAPOLEONIC ERA ISBN 0 7153 7766 3

WELLINGTON’S ARMY ISBN 1-85367-501-6

Brassey’s History of Uniforms Napoleonic Wars Wellington’s Army ISBN 1-85753-221-X

Brassey’s History of Uniforms Napoleonic Wars Napoleon’s Army ISBN 1-85753-220-1

Napoleon’s Cavalry ISBN 0 85045 339 9

AN ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF UNIFORMS OF THE NAPOLEONIC WARS ISBN 0-7548-1571-4

• Thanks 1

:o

Thanks Ratch- that is an amazing (to me) list. My Google flung is hopeless obviously. 

That is a great list and hopefully helpful for other newbies like me who may stumble on to this thread. 

Looks like I'm heading to the local library because the budget doesn't stretch that far. 

PR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally Peter, Did I mention I have three boxes of these marked up for painting this winter. Nine Hussars and three Uhlans / box.

236609-12815-14-pristine.jpg

They should make a good little group.

570340226cc5a7a1b0b47ee18080daa7--napole

UhlansBrunswick.png

• Like 1

Nice one Fred! Looks like you have some work ahead there.

I'm still working on my Airfix Hussar (likely 10th) with a galloping Historex horse. I've bulked up the horse a bit, possibly too much based on what I read from contemporary accounts. I also have a Historex Brunswick Hussar planned.

The level of detail is quite different. The Airfix kit looks a little heavy while the Historex looks a little understated in my opinion. I will see if I can do a work in progress, but work is slow so I may wait until I have enough to show.

Thanks again for all the good info!

PR

• Like 1