Wrong Ship Sherlock

I have a notion to build something from my extensive stash in the graffiti "markings" applied by merciless crews when a US Navy pilot accidentaly landed on the wrong carrier - there are numerous examples of this from the Korean war.

1497722_633479483383837_2011429575_n.jpg

I've had a brief look without success. Does anyone know of any decals for such a victim of military humour they could point me to?

• Like 5

I've seen the photo before, probably in one of the Squadron books on Carrier units.  I am not aware of any decals being made for this aircraft, but there was a Model Alliance sheet that had the change of markings to an FAA Phantom that operated for a time from a U.S. carrier.  They changed Royal Navy to Colonial Navy and at least on the fuselage changed the roundel to the Pre-WW II U.S. star and red dot.  I believe Hannant's still has some for sale and may even be planning it for a new sheet when the new Airfix kit comes out.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e8n2 said:

I've seen the photo before, probably in one of the Squadron books on Carrier units.  I am not aware of any decals being made for this aircraft, but there was a Model Alliance sheet that had the change of markings to an FAA Phantom that operated for a time from a U.S. carrier.  They changed Royal Navy to Colonial Navy and at least on the fuselage changed the roundel to the Pre-WW II U.S. star and red dot.  I believe Hannant's still has some for sale and may even be planning it for a new sheet when the new Airfix kit comes out.

Later,

Dave

Thanks Dave, now you mention it I do remember seeing a photo of that Phantom :)