Revell 1:48 F/A-18E Super Hornet

Hi all...

I've been working on this for the last few months and I'm calling it done. It was a kit I got for free a few years ago, and I planned to build it to partner an F-14 Tomcat as I had a decal sheet for both. I built the Tomcat 3 years ago, and finally got this one finished.

I used it as a chance to experiment and try new things. It's my first time using an airbrush on an aircraft, and I tried pre-shading. I also used oils for a pin wash on the panels for the first time, though only on the upper surfaces (I used my Florys wash on the underside as a comparison). I used Vallejo Model Air for the main colours, and I liked them, apart from how easy they scratched after being applied. I tried some AK True Metal on some of the exhausts, and also scratch-built some Intake Covers using plastic card, foam and foil from a margarine tub. All in all, I'm happy enough with it. It won't win anything, but it's a nice scheme and some of the new things I tried worked out ok, while others didn't.

I'm afraid the photos are a little over-exposed, I'm having a little competition with myself to see which improves first, my modelling or my photography! I added a couple of both aircraft together at the end to give a little comparison. All comments/advice welcome, it's the best way to learn.

Thanks...

Kit: Revell F/A-18E Super Hornet

Scale: 1:48

Paint & Weathering: Airbrushed with Vallejo Model Air acrylics. Weathered with Flory Wash, Citadel Nuln Oil, Oils and AK True Metal

Extras: Fightertown Tophatter Anniversary Decals, scratch-built Intake Covers.

01%20Finished%201_zpsvcau96ho.jpg

02%20Finished%202_zpsaio3uvko.jpg

03%20Finished%203_zpsympjvv4a.jpg

04%20Finished%204_zpsh3pvmyrv.jpg

05%20Finished%205_zpslywgxv05.jpg

06%20Finished%206_zpshsexrso0.jpg

07%20Finished%207_zps3bd2wqci.jpg

08%20Finished%208_zps3yw66oma.jpg

09%20Finished%209_zpsevxwyqsz.jpg

10%20Finished%2010_zpshrcselnz.jpg

11%20Finished%2011_zps2amiir7e.jpg

12%20Finished%2012_zpswufuaqh2.jpg

13%20Finished%2013_zpsedwfwihq.jpg

• Like 17

Hello,Jason - Both your 'Hornet' and 'Tomcat' builds are fine tributes to the aircraft types and their famous squadron.

I love the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work and commend the very subtle but effective weathering.They both show great extra details,homemade intake covers are what I enjoy including in my builds where applicable.

Splendid work indeed.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.