Tasca Sherman late production M4A1 Duplex Drive (screen down) update 13/10/17

Ozzy

57 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Very good work with the tracks, for me, are really difficult, because they are very fragile and over-enginereed, the LCVP seems quite a challenge ...:popcorn:

Cheers Ozzy :yes:

Thanks Francis,

ive got to admit the panda tracks are easier to put together than the AFV club set, the guide horns are a little fragile if you clip them wrong. I'm looking forward to build the LCVP more for the figures, I read a book years ago called the Bedford Boys about a group of young men from Bedford Virginia, they were part of the 116 infantry regiment 29 infantry division that went ashore on Omaha beach. The town lost 22 of there young men during the Normandy campaign, I found a couple of them in the cemetery that overlooks Omaha beach.

53 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Glad you got on OK with the Pandas. They are definitely my go to for replacement Sherman tracks.

John.

Thanks John,

i wasnt going to use them but then I thought when am I going to use them, so spent a couple of hours yesterday in runs of 12 started to clip them together. I just need to put a dab of glue to make them more permanent.

25 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Do I sense a diorama coming featuring Sherman DD and landing craft?

Roger

Thanks Roger,

They will both feature in dioaramas but at separate ends of D-Day beaches, as the DD tanks that were allocated to Omaha beach weren't as successful as hoped due to the sea state. The tanks being released to early and the lack of any nautical training for the crews.

33 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

Magic work so far Ozzy, the DD looks great with the canvas screen fitted up or down :yes:

Thanks Julian,

i had decided on screens down but now I'm not so sure, as I could build her emerging from the channel before the screen comes down. I've got a bit of a dilemma now to have a think about.:rage:

Nice work Ozzy.

Personally, I'd have the screen down (or in the process of being let down) otherwise you're not going to see much of the Sherman itself. Maybe having it just emerging from the breakers, half in half out of the water and the screen dropping? It would be quite hard to do the breaking waves, but if you pulled it off it would make a superb 'action' diorama.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Badder said:

Nice work Ozzy.

Personally, I'd have the screen down (or in the process of being let down) otherwise you're not going to see much of the Sherman itself. Maybe having it just emerging from the breakers, half in half out of the water and the screen dropping? It would be quite hard to do the breaking waves, but if you pulled it off it would make a superb 'action' diorama.

Rearguards,

Badder

Now there's a thought the half up and the front down, coming ashore with some dismounts along side. Food for thought cheers Badder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Now there's a thought the half up and the front down, coming ashore with some dismounts along side. Food for thought cheers Badder.

Or build two, one with screen up and one with screen down.............................more food for thought Ozzy.

;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

Or build two, one with screen up and one with screen down.............................more food for thought Ozzy.

;)

Ooooh all this talk about food, it calls for a nice bit of :cake:. I'll see how this one turns out Julian before embarking on a second.

i stuck the screen onto the hull, I also put the placements for the support arms. I couldn't resist to have a go in the bath, it floated really well once I've made it watertight I will have another go with a bit of weight in the hull.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Ok ive gone for screen down, I've had a fairly productive day today. I collapsed the side screen and set about making the many poles that make it all work, having looked at various pictures I think it looks like a DD tank. I just need to do the propellers at the back and we are nealy there, the whole thing has been airbrushed with Vallejo bronze green.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 11

Don't think I'd want a ride in this.  Tanks really don't float that well and it must be a madhouse trying to get out of those hatches

before it sinks.  Scuba gear wasn't an option in those days I think.

Brave men, a little foolhardy,and not all that swift either, but brave.

Oh, the model looks great so far too.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Absolutely brilliant work Ozzy! And it really floats! Great stuff. With all the support poles in place it looks fantastic. Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Don't think I'd want a ride in this.  Tanks really don't float that well and it must be a madhouse trying to get out of those hatches

before it sinks.  Scuba gear wasn't an option in those days I think.

Brave men, a little foolhardy,and not all that swift either, but brave.

Oh, the model looks great so far too.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd,

there is a leaver that I've not attached yet that sits behind the turret that disengages the propellers, that the commander would flick across to allow the drive to go to the tracks. At this point the screen is up but in full view of any high placed Germans, a floating tank defies all logic and definitely an intresting story to tell the grandchildren. 

2 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Looking really excellent Ozzy (please don't post photos of you in the bath with your tank though :whistle:).

Are you going to give the screen a more brownish tinge?

Julian :yes:

Thanks Juilian,

it could have been worse, I could have been sat in with it. I'm currently in the process of painting the screen a grey yellowish colour.

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Absolutely brilliant work Ozzy! And it really floats! Great stuff. With all the support poles in place it looks fantastic. Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

i had to have a go in the bath before I lowered the screen, I'm really pleased that I found the various bits in my LMS for all the supports.

39 minutes ago, Cromwell said:

Love the work you've done on the canvas screen

Thanks Cromwell,

ive been wanting to build a DD tank for a while but not playing resin prices, so thought I'd have a go myself the screen was made from curtain blackout material and some bent wire.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Also, float !!!, cool. It gives me impression that it will be something complicated the painting of the tank with the canvas around ...:popcorn:

Cheers Ozzy :yes:

Thanks Francis,

i thought it it would be a good idea to spray the complete model green, however the inside of the screen has some nooks and crannies that I should be able to get a paint brush in there.

It's coming along fine Ozzy. It's saved you over a hundred quid on the Resicast offering. One question. Why bronze green? Is it close to OD or is that just a base colour? That's three questions!

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

It's coming along fine Ozzy. It's saved you over a hundred quid on the Resicast offering. One question. Why bronze green? Is it close to OD or is that just a base colour? That's three questions!

John.

Thanks John,

definatly saved a few quid and pushed my modelling skills, OD was predominantly seen on US vehicles where the British covered with bronze green. Like most colours there are a number of different shades of the one colour.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Any more news on this one?

Roger

i got a little side tracked Roger,

image.jpg

i must get on and finish my build before embarking on the M3/M4 GB.

• Like 4