Tasca Sherman late production M4A1 Duplex Drive (screen down) update 13/10/17

Ozzy

On 7/1/2017 at 8:03 PM, Ozzy said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice to see you went to Merville Battery, and found the Calvary Cross re-org point!  I tried to represent this in a small diorama I posted on here back in June.

Also Im very interested in how you get on.  I've longed to make a DD Sherman in 1/35 (maybe the unbelievably expensive Resicast kit) but yet to take the plunge.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sanfrandragon said:

Nice to see you went to Merville Battery, and found the Calvary Cross re-org point!  I tried to represent this in a small diorama I posted on here back in June.

Also Im very interested in how you get on.  I've longed to make a DD Sherman in 1/35 (maybe the unbelievably expensive Resicast kit) but yet to take the plunge.

It was seeing your diorama that spurred me on to go in search of the various elements of the attack. 

the observation post up on the coast

image.jpg

The Forming up point (about 1 mile away from the Battery) where Otway waited for more troops to turn up.

image.jpg

And finally the sunken road opposite the Chateaux 

image.jpg

i was having a look on the net you can get a 3D printed screen frame for £107, my attempt may not be that factually correct but I shall enjoy having a go.

18 hours ago, Hewy said:

I'm intrigued, got to admit I'd never heard of the duplex drive sherman, but I'm up for seeing this take shape 

Glynn

Thanks Glynn,

they were part of the many Horbarts funnys, that came about after the ill fated Dieppe raid. I've see a number of pictures of DD Valantines not sure if the concept was trailed on those, before standardising on a Sherman.

5 hours ago, robw_uk said:

I am building the Eduard boxing.... Nice kit if sometimes fiddly PE...looking forward to more

I have to say it's looking mighty fine too Rob, there's no PE in the Tasca kit it must be an extra in the Eduard boxing? The .50 is a very nice addition to the kit, hopefully Eduard have kept that in? 

The Valentine was indeed the prototype fot the concept. Several were made for crew training and at least 1 still exists in running condition.

On the .50 cal, most British Shermans did not mount one.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2017 at 5:03 PM, Ozzy said:

have to say it's looking mighty fine too Rob, there's no PE in the Tasca kit it must be an extra in the Eduard boxing? The .50 is a very nice addition to the kit, hopefully Eduard have kept that in? 

Yeah 50 cal are in... The instructions are off in terms of which variant gets them but I will use on mine. Nearly nicked it firmly m37 but got the academy 30/50 cal set instead

• Like 1

On 1 August 2017 at 15:35, Niall said:

The Valentine was indeed the prototype fot the concept. Several were made for crew training and at least 1 still exists in running condition.

On the .50 cal, most British Shermans did not mount one.

Thanks for the info Niall, I'm not sure what I would feel safer in a Sherman or a Valentine bobbing along.

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

Yeah 50 cal are in... The instructions are off in terms of which variant gets them but I will use on mine. Nearly nicked it firmly m37 but got the academy 30/50 cal set instead

It's definitely a nice addition to the kit, I will look out for the Academy I can never find a .30 when I want one.

57 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Sorry for slight thread drift only remaining Valentine DD seen at War & Peace 2017

IMG_0050.jpg

Roger

Thanks Roger,

i had had seen a couple of colour pictures, I didn't realise it was a working tank. I've not built a valentine yet, maybe I could do a DD variant if this one turns out ok.

• Like 1

Got some time this afternoon to finish off the frame work, then stick the screen on.

Screen up

image.jpg

Screen down

image.jpg

• Like 7

My Grandfather drove shermans in the pacific theater for the army. He was always a daredevil too. But i have a distinct feeling even he might've backed away from this sherman. My credit to you for building it 👍. My awe for those that rode this thing in to battle that day. I salute that group of Gentlemen every chance i get. 

Dennis

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My Grandfather drove shermans in the pacific theater for the army. He was always a daredevil too. But i have a distinct feeling even he might've backed away from this sherman. My credit to you for building it 👍. My awe for those that rode this thing in to battle that day. I salute that group of Gentlemen every chance i get. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

having watched the mini series The Pacific, I also take my hat off to your Grandfather and all those who fought in that theatre. It's definitely a different way to get into battle, hoping the screen sits above the waterline.

48 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Well it certainly looks like a canvas screen. I assume that the material that it's made from is soft and flexible, not like calico.

John.

Thanks John,

its curtain lining, I got some off cuts from a material shop in town. It holds its own weight very well, it also gives a realistic sag and scrunch when the screen is dropped.

I'm not sure if you knew but I've seen a documentary about the DD shermans apparently they were tested at anzio. Know one knew until recently. But they dove on an item that kept "snagging" fishing nets in the area just off the beach. I saw the Documentary about 2010-2012. I believe. They dug through the archives and i believe they determined they were 5-6 DD shermans there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I'm not sure if you knew but I've seen a documentary about the DD shermans apparently they were tested at anzio. Know one knew until recently. But they dove on an item that kept "snagging" fishing nets in the area just off the beach. I saw the Documentary about 2010-2012. I believe. They dug through the archives and i believe they determined they were 5-6 DD shermans there. 

I didn't know that Dennis I shall look out for it, thanks again.

21 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Great scratch work, a very interesting vehicle. Canvas looks very nice...:popcorn:, cheers mate

Thanks Francis,

it definitely is an intresting vehicle, I just need to attach the screen tank. Once I've done that I may have a go in the bath?

• Haha 1

After seenings @clive_t success with his panda tracks I thought I would give my set ago, I brought them back in 2009 and they have been sat on the bench for a few years now. I've used 80 links both sides one more than the recommend amount.

image.jpg

On a different note but maintaining the D-Day theme, I picked this up from tesco's of all places.

image.jpg

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Looking good Ozzy, nice find with the landing craft too :)

Thanks Clive,

they went together better than I remember,  I have since fitted the and reduced the amount of links to 78. I had a tesco voucher for my bithday, I had read on britmodeller that tesco did model and found this gem. It comes with 25 figures in various poses, I will start building the LCVP after I've finished the DD tank.

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Impressive progress Ozzy - superb work on the screen. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

im also impressed how the screens turned out, hopefully this week I shall secure it to the tank.