Tasca Sherman late production M4A1 Duplex Drive (screen down) update 13/10/17

Ozzy

23 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Glad you had a good trip to France Ozzy. The Sherman was looking good when last seen. The machine gun is nicely detailed. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

the trip was fantastic, the Sherman is still going strong I've painted the running gear and the tracks over the weekend. I'm looking forward to going a bit of scratch building, changing her into a DD tank over the summer. These Tasca .50 are really well done and worth buying the kit just for them, you can buy them as a separate item but finding them at a reasonable price is hard work @Peter Marshall has got some better pictures on his al Alamain Sherman he's building.

image.jpg

• Like 9

Now that is looking excellent Ozzy! Very nicely done. Makes me want to build one, but it probably wont be until the M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB GB at the end of this year! :thumbsup: Can't wait!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Now that is looking excellent Ozzy! Very nicely done. Makes me want to build one, but it probably wont be until the M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB GB at the end of this year! :thumbsup: Can't wait!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

ive got two in the stash for that GB, I'm looking forward to an armour only GB.:yahoo:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got a bit of bench time this afternoon, I cut out the rim where the canvas will sit. I used some plastic card I had, I drew around the top half of the tank added 5mm around the edges then used the mud guards x2 to measure the front then added a point to the front.

image.jpg

image.jpg

And also there is some free advertising for @malcchilds charity.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I take my hat off to you with regards to the change of direction. I'm really surprised that none of the major manufacturers have ever produced a DD Sherman. I know there's the Resicast one, but nothing in styrene. Good luck with this.

John.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I take my hat off to you with regards to the change of direction. I'm really surprised that none of the major manufacturers have ever produced a DD Sherman. I know there's the Resicast one, but nothing in styrene. Good luck with this.

John.

Thanks John,

i had always fancied doing a DD tank and my trip to Normandy speared me on, I had been looking for some plans in 1:35 to start building but to no avail. So using reference pictures and a Sherman book I made a start, I will use pictures of the resicasts model to build all the supports. I to am surprised that nobody has built a plastic kit, it would have been nice if Tasca had built one off this kit. The resicast kit looks nice but slightly out of my usual price range.

• Like 1

I found that drawings digged in my folders. Do not know that it help, but can try. I also have somewhere some photos from the Bovington one, but unlucky in the sailing configuration. 

hMwyrt_KsIuQZtUqJkalZZkERR_d-bIPtO9WrQMT

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kris B said:

I found that drawings digged in my folders. Do not know that it help, but can try. I also have somewhere some photos from the Bovington one, but unlucky in the sailing configuration. 

hMwyrt_KsIuQZtUqJkalZZkERR_d-bIPtO9WrQMT

Thanks Kris,

the drawings are definitely very useful, thanks for the offer of some pic from bovington. If they are still on offer I will take them, I've got some I took myself but it's always good to get a different prospective.

1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

Certainly is a nice change of direction, the DD was a rather unusual looking beastie. Will you be modelling it with the canvas screen raised Ozzy? That would look good :yes:

Thanks Julian,

im going for screen down, the works sell material for a pound I used it on one of my platformwagen. With a few coats of PVA glue gives it a nice rigidity, a few plastic coated metal rods to make the frame work. A few rods on the tank and I should be almost there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Nice project ! ;)

Thanks Julian,

it will keep me busy over the summer.

4 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Watching with interest....:popcorn:, cheers Ozzy

Good to have you along for the ride Francis,

got some supply's today the works didn't have what I was looking for, but there is a curtain shop next door so I got some off cuts of blackout lining instead.

image.jpg

• Like 1

With the weather being wet this afternoon, there was nothing else to do apart from modelling. I set about making a frame out of the plastic covered wire, I need to get a couple more to finish off the other ribs. I cut my material it's 525mm in length the height is 65mm, the height was gestimated as the picture in a book. I'm using it looked like another turret height above the actual height, so that's where my measures came from. I'm double lining the side walls and will stick the frame internal to the screen, this should give the baggy effect  when the screen is in the dropped position. Well that's the plan anyway.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

Looks the part, must have been scary though with a layer of canvas being the only thing between you and the bottom of the English channel :analintruder:

Thanks Julian,

its definitely at test of faith, I read by tanks into Normandy it's about the Sherwood Rangers. It would seem more luck rather than judgment that got them ashore on the 6th of June, I once privileged to chat to a member of the Sherwood Rangers a chap named Morris Borne MM. He wasn't in a swimming tank that day, listening to him he sounded happy not to be.

9 hours ago, arkbuilder2012 said:

The texture is close to perfect. Taking notes. Have always wanted a DD in my collection.

Thanks Arkbuilder,

my my plan is to get the screen fixed, lower into position and work on the supports and the propellers. I've always fancied a DD to but not at resicast prices.

Thanks @Kris B those pictures are really useful, mine are only through the clear bit of the screen or the complete vehicle from a distance.

I am happy that can help a little. Is my wish to build the Sherman DD, but I probably wait until someone decided to do the plastic kit. But in the meantime I will be chase your WIP.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kris B said:

I am happy that can help a little. Is my wish to build the Sherman DD, but I probably wait until someone decided to do the plastic kit. But in the meantime I will be chase your WIP.

Its much appreciated Chris, I was looking at this kit thinking how hard can it be? Famous last words, I'm very surprised that non of the plastic manufactures have never had a dabble.

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Fascinating stuff Ozzy. Looking good. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

it will keep me busy over the summer, if I had thought about it I could have built it in the Radial engines GB. :rage:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Etienne said:

Great project B) ... Looking forward to seeing the next steps !!

E

Thanks Etienne,

good to have have you along for the ride, hopefully it will look like a DD Sherman when I've finished.