Tasca Sherman late production M4A1 Duplex Drive (screen down) update 13/10/17

Ozzy

I picked this up yesterday at the Salisbury show, just after a nice slice of chocolate cake. These Tasca kits are a bit thin on the ground, this trader had 3 different Sherman kits. I'm building this one for my diorama "got a can opener babe". This is the second Tasca kit I've built, the hull is flat packed and needed to be built up. The pictures below are an afternoons work, I've had to stop of I would have probably finished it this evening. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Kris B said:

Nice to see another Ronson on the forum. Why the gun barrel have a different colour? 

Thanks Kris,

ive got another 2 in my limited stash, the reason for the different colour barrel is,its from from a dragon kit. Considering the Tasca kit is said to be the best around, the barrel comes in 2 halves. So I thought rather than try to sand a join I would use a side molded dragon barrel.

On 7 June 2017 at 11:26, FrancisGL said:

NIce "lighter", watching with interest...:popcorn:, cheers Ozzy :D

Thanks Francis,

it should be a relatively quick build, I'm hoping.

On 7 June 2017 at 16:32, PlaStix said:

I have never built a Tasca Sherman so will follow this with interest. Looking good so far. :thumbsup::popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

they are almost as rare as hens teeth, this is my second Tasca kit and I've got another to build in Sarge's GB in December. They go together really well, on of the traders at the Salisbury show saw me clenched fists around it and commented "good spot young grasshopper". As the Tasca Sherman's are supposed, to be the most accurate representation in 1/35.

A little update, I keep mentioning that I hate doing road wheels. However I do enjoy building these ones, I think it's the bits of foam and the working bogies that can be built. I've also drilled 4 holes in the front, as a little attention to detail.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

You will have lots of work with it - I've make ones. If I can suggest something to you is ignore the build instruction. You may end up with partial workable tracks as you glue the together. Rather then this if you wish try this way as I was building mine. First glue horns with links, and then pads. 

zmHxwNHxMft25KaphwMWHPCRAEx4oAFdJqNLJqxK

gDGjvSWswh3Btw_7O8NzGSnTaMnWgeApPDiJ9JIU

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Kris B said:

You will have lots of work with it - I've make ones. If I can suggest something to you is ignore the build instruction. You may end up with partial workable tracks as you glue the together. Rather then this if you wish try this way as I was building mine. First glue horns with links, and then pads. 

zmHxwNHxMft25KaphwMWHPCRAEx4oAFdJqNLJqxK

gDGjvSWswh3Btw_7O8NzGSnTaMnWgeApPDiJ9JIU

Thanks for the heads up, I had put 3 together and looked as they would become less manoverable. I've used the panda plastics set on a different Sherman and they weren't that I depth.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

Nice new subject Ozzy, the tracks must be a major pain to build but they look very good when finished :yes:

Thanks juilian,

i find doing individual track links, if I sit in a quiet room for an hour or two I can get at one side done. Got to agree they do look good once finished, I should have somthing to show later.

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

A bit of track bashing over the weekend.

6581863d155dda4a3208bf404dcf3e29_zps1clp

This looks like torture to me. The rack can't be much worse than these 586* parts of track bits... * wild guess

I think I would just depict the tank as sunk in the water and not do the tracks :D you are a brave man!!! Enjoy and good luck.

BTw: never heard of this company before :jabber:

• Like 2

Thanks Balaubar,

the tracks are from Bronco, the tracks look a bit daunting but I've done a few and they aren't that bad only 83 per side. I will have them done in no time at all, he say's.

• Like 1

Done a bit of track bashing, I had a go at Kris method, but my guide horns kept falling off. Maybe I didn't use enough glue? I may have another go at that method on the other side, I've also attached the bogies and built the .50 machine gun, it's a very detailed gun compared to some out there. I'm having a few problems with photobucket, so these are the best for the moment.

th_image_zpsyjvq9csq.jpeg

th_image_zpsxuvxa52t.jpeg

• Like 2

After a bit of thought I've ordered the AFV club set from Hannants, I'm off to Canada for a week tomorrow so will be here on my return.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

After a bit of thought I've ordered the AFV club set from Hannants, I'm off to Canada for a week tomorrow so will be here on my return.

Coming along nicely...sorry, if I have not read wrong, you decided to forget about the Bronco tracks, and try with others ???.

Some time ago I bought a set of these (not exactly yours, changed the drawing on the tracks alone), but after making one, I still had to put my teeth ... incredibly they had not included them in the other piece.

By the time I finished it ... it had not been very "good", and when trying to adjust it, it was "broken" everywhere ...
If you add that, it is very fragile the plastic, when you try to cut the pieces with the pins, many end up broken ...

Cheers Ozzy:popcorn:.

25 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Coming along nicely...sorry, if I have not read wrong, you decided to forget about the Bronco tracks, and try with others ???.

Some time ago I bought a set of these (not exactly yours, changed the drawing on the tracks alone), but after making one, I still had to put my teeth ... incredibly they had not included them in the other piece.

By the time I finished it ... it had not been very "good", and when trying to adjust it, it was "broken" everywhere ...
If you add that, it is very fragile the plastic, when you try to cut the pieces with the pins, many end up broken ...

Cheers Ozzy:popcorn:.

Thanks FrancisGL,

the main part of the tracks go together really well, it's just those guide horns I stuck 1 side on and rested them against the tank to dry the majority are straight. I may still use them on another project, I've got 3 projects on the go at the moment and my bench is getting a bit crowded. As this project is one that could be finished fairly quick I opted for the AFV option.

13 hours ago, Bodmin said:

Looks painful. 

The main part of the track went together really well, the guide horns were a bit of a pain in the bum.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just spent a few days in Normandy and thinking of a change of direction for my build, I'm thinking of a little conversation to a DD tank. 

• Like 1

Glad you had a good trip to France Ozzy. The Sherman was looking good when last seen. The machine gun is nicely detailed. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix