Zvezda Mig-21bis (1/72)

Right folks, here goes.

I've finally finished this Zvezda Mig-21 for the 70's NATO v Warsaw Pact GB (with a week to spare) and I've got to say I've really enjoyed this build (apart from the poor fit on the undercarriage bays)!!

I've also learned a lot - particularly as this one was completed in NMF - something I don't seem to do very often.  This is now my third completed jet, following my F-16 and Buccaneer and I'm currently racing to complete the Airfix Vampire for the de Havilland GB.

The model was completed OOB with the addition of a scratched pitot tube as the kit piece was ok but not realistic enough.  Completed using Revell Aqua acrylics (which I love for airbrushing - so smooth) and a panel line wash and minimal weathering.

Hope you enjoy and as always I'd really appreciate any feedback and comments.  Kris

PS I think I got carried away on the amount of photos, but hey - who's counting?

DSC00390_zpsld35oodh.jpg

DSC00395_zpsc0dfxw68.jpg

DSC00393_zpsbbcopvnc.jpg

DSC00392_zpsnkblwapo.jpg

DSC00391_zpspyfokp7w.jpg

DSC00389_zpsupu1yvpw.jpg

DSC00387_zpstblbxgct.jpg

DSC00386_zpshbrvfsfg.jpg

DSC00385_zps205vmu7j.jpg

DSC00384_zpseetigqd2.jpg

DSC00383_zpsewxqzjya.jpg

DSC00382_zpsaebtqtk6.jpg

DSC00380_zpsuv4q7obm.jpg

DSC00379_zpsn5hj8gpr.jpg

DSC00378_zps4iy0sk8a.jpg

• Like 37

15 hours ago, SoftScience said:

That is just gorgeous! I love the loadout with RATO pods and the various metallic shades. 

Polish markings always look good too.

Thx softscience - your comments are much appreciated. I am also pleased I went with the polish scheme as I think it really suits the Mig's sleek appearance. 

15 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

If it is airborne and cleaned up shoudn't the RATO pods have been dropped?

Nice build and finish! Wish I could make NMF look like that.

DennisTheBear

Thx Dennis - glad you think the NMF looks ok. Wasn't sure on the RATO pods - just followed the instructions as I'm a relative newcomer to jets.

9 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Lovely MiG-21, great finish as well.  I have a few Revell Aqua paints, not tried airbrushing with them though.

Thx Booty. With regards to Revell Aqua give them a go in the airbrush. I've always been impressed and you never get lumps or clogs because the paint is so smooth. The metallic paints are particularly good and their coverage is excellent. I always use Revell Aqua, Tamiya and Vallejo for all my airbrushing and never have any problems. 

• Like 1

Great job .. I like the nmf you've achieved in 1/72.  Nice as well that Zvezda include a natty pilot figure with their kits ... :goodjob:

BillyD

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

Lovely looking MiG.  Great variation in the NMF tones - well done

Thx vultures - I'm pleased you think the NMF looks ok as this was the first time I've tried it out and I learned a lot in the process.

That is a splendid looking Mig.  Great metal finish and the in-flight pose really shows off the sleek lines of the type.  If you in to Polish Migs there is a really interesting article in the latest Aeroplane Monthly about three MiG-15bis aircraft that defected to Denmark in the 1950s.   Some great modelling inspiration.

44 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

That is a splendid looking Mig.  Great metal finish and the in-flight pose really shows off the sleek lines of the type.  If you in to Polish Migs there is a really interesting article in the latest Aeroplane Monthly about three MiG-15bis aircraft that defected to Denmark in the 1950s.   Some great modelling inspiration.

Thanks for that Meatbox and I totally agree with you about the in-flight pose.  I'm totally new to the Mig-21 and have learned a lot along the way with this build, particularly how much I like the shape of the aircraft - really sleek and aerodynamic.  The article you mentioned sounds like a good read so I may just have to get me a copy.

Many thanks - Kris.

• Like 1