Mosquito FB Mk VI, 1/48, Tamiya - FINISHED

Here are some more pictures...

I made some basic preshading. As Mosquito were made of wood no many panel lines require pre-shading. Also added some random dark areas:

py5-0xz9FdAsg9rwyJkrkO4qXXn7fuAayfecxne2

When lower fuselage and underwing areas were painted I applied blu tac and prepared for the top dark sea grey:

pKfEO8zO1WpO9c-s_ic5-vYmGrETYg6AX7MwL2TO

pRWghmXfwVQ_NZeEHUK7iB9dJqpi-ySkVPcl0wSQ

S5fDnGGIzhv28G4Cd8iqGK_C-gG8mAGsSEtX6m4N

Then I realized I forgot to remove/hide those rectangular wing locks (which do not exist on a real planes):

NNFPgey6DxHqn9OoGrTQwk_w1yD3Kko4l78TOQdP

Few hours spent to remove them: masked both areas, sanded, applied putty, sand again, removed masks and painted:

o0ZK1C7uJIHh-Va-LNV4mJYgezzda6Jy7dRmuzWu

_lZb4bBBVfbMehUx_KesKaWF-iA9Gq4aF3y9wh2G

KlzO5So_M7SOd5wi3oQWMKk0btc7gP8akHuHjhhp

XgHDBmVUG3T-GoknZntjkqfz-JXKZCfxiiY3LTtw

Then started to apply decals and highlight the panel lines:

n-1RDspR3DNY2FJhFYEvaISCgNvc0NB75HIcosUG

Z5cwPfLOcKfmVIBlby9aaNs46HZ4YZQQ1OnUloZO

C1t2FFqrOdGGtNreHwIAzLn7OvJrMFUpBh8ZIOnR

Installed landing gears and further weathering with oils:

3cWB_KKj37io5NI7Bn52YNb5x0ZfRkI1pKsLyVfD

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vadim changed the title to Mosquito FB Mk VI, 1/48, Tamiya - FINISHED

Very nice ,i have this kit on the go at the moment ,used a set of resin seats .

And some sticker type decals for the radio sets ,wish i had painted the UC when it was in bits like you did .

I have the other Tamiya Mossie kit ,i bought the Eduard zoom set for that one .

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

,is it true that the ones in service in the far east tended to become unstuck because of the heat?

combination of heat and humidity caused the initial glue to fail

see https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?111885-Some-questions-on-de-Havilland-Mosquito

The glue issue is one of those that grows in the telling.

The glue initially used on the aircraft was specified by de Havilland, and was glue approved for aircraft production. Moving form furniture production to aircraft production was no easy feat; de Havilland specified tolerances measure in thou, to which the wood had to be manufactured; particularly for the spar, and as such, the temperatures also had to be carefully controlled. A far cry from the manufacture of furniture and school desks!

Two glue types were used - Casein glue was the initial adhesive, which was susceptible to heat and humidity. This failed in the far east. Aircraft assembled using formaldehyde resin glue were not affected.

Thanks to Ian Thirsk's excellent dH Mosquito, An Illustrated History (Part2)

Lovely job on the Mossie Vadim

this may interest you, colour photo of a Banff stike wing Mosquito

5521706915_ecc347739f_o.jpgLoading rockets   1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

from here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=8270787%40N07&view_all=1&text=mosquito

the Mosquito photos

done by member

@Etiennedup  flickr account of WW2 colour,  if you change the aircraft name in the address bar you just get the photos of that type.

cheers

T

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

combination of heat and humidity caused the initial glue to fail

see https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?111885-Some-questions-on-de-Havilland-Mosquito

Lovely job on the Mossie Vadim

this may interest you, colour photo of a Banff stike wing Mosquito

5521706915_ecc347739f_o.jpgLoading rockets   1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

from here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=8270787%40N07&view_all=1&text=mosquito

the Mosquito photos

done by member

@Etiennedup  flickr account of WW2 colour,  if you change the aircraft name in the address bar you just get the photos of that type.

cheers

T

Thanks for the reply, nice colour photo of the mossie

On 10/21/2017 at 1:07 AM, Thom216 said:

Great job!

Thanks mate!

On 10/21/2017 at 1:57 AM, cocky05d said:

I have the other Tamiya Mossie kit

Thanks! Couldn'f find your Mossie build - probably you don't post it. I'm sure you enjoying it. The Tamiya kit was a pure pleasure

On 10/21/2017 at 2:00 AM, cocky05d said:

Talking about mossies in general ,is it true that the ones in service in the far east tended to become unstuck because of the heat?

Didn't know about this, but completely trust @Troy Smith:) Wish I had his knowledge of every little panel line!

Thanks @Troy Smith! I've seen that picture, and actually was using it for my inspiration. Though my finished model looks differently.

On 23/10/2017 at 13:34, Vadim said:

Didn't know about this, but completely trust @Troy Smith:) Wish I had his knowledge of every little panel line!

thanks for the flattery.... but you actually get around to building,   I get stuck in research!

Anyway, good  spot on the underwing panels on the Tamiya kit,  not  run  across that little glitch before.

Hope to see the Mossie at the next IPMS meet?

cheers

T

PS -  for those puzzled I have wittered on to poor Vadim at the Mid Sussex IPMS meetings, about Hurricane  wing panels,   and his Swordfish looks as good 'in the flesh'  as the photos posted suggest.

• Thanks 1