Airfix 1:48 Hawker Hurricane MkI - D. Bader

Great Airfix kit with "Xtradecal" and "Maketar" masks for RAF insignias for Hurricanes. Every opinion,especialy about colors is wellcome.Vallejo color were used.

Here are some pictures:

goWEz7w.jpg

1TWtW7x.jpg

cp5igFG.jpg

lqD5QiM.jpg

3j4WZMJ.jpg

cG6tWGn.jpg

qeOjZ4h.jpg

XyyBdg8.jpg

7XRuT5X.jpg

5vutk03.jpg

xA9ngJh.jpg

• Like 42

Excellent Hurricane, looking almost 'right'!

'Almost'? Well, the Rotol prop was made of wood, with a thin brass sheath to protect the leading edge. So, the (quite overdone…) metal 'chipping' on the blades looks all wrong to my eyes. In fact, prop blades seldom showed any visible wear at all, which would've affected the balancing of the prop.

Otherwise, beautiful work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Excellent Hurricane, looking almost 'right'!

'Almost'? Well, the Rotol prop was made of wood, with a thin brass sheath to protect the leading edge. So, the (quite overdone…) metal 'chipping' on the blades looks all wrong to my eyes. In fact, prop blades seldom showed any visible wear at all, which would've affected the balancing of the prop.

Otherwise, beautiful work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you,that was useful, unfortunatly,for some of my next Hurricane model.

Hello Pedja,

Nice job on the Hurricane, is it the Airfix new tooling ?

or this one

WP_20161126_00_36_16_Pro

Whatever, you did it great, may be some black paint to rectify the propeller, and that's done !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Beautiful job and a fine build , although I am not so sure about the colours you have used.

To my eye the Green is too light and the Dark earth is way off.

Perhaps on your next build you could try Hannants Extra Colour Dark Earth & Dark Green , IMOP the most accurate colours available.

:pipe:

• Like 3

Superb - you have JUST the right amount of weathering - it is very realistic, and the different shading in the paintwork is just right. Excellent presentation too. This has me wanting to model Douglas Bader's Hurricane as well!

• Like 1

I think V7467 would have been nearly new when allocated to 242 Squadron so pant deterioration would have been minimal.  Your demarcation between upper surface and undersurface camouflage on the port engine cowling panel looks a bit high, there's a picture of S/L Bader with two other 242 Squadron pilots in front of the aeroplane on page 98 of Osprey's "Hurricane Aces1939-40" showing this panel.

It may be the lighting conditions but your photos make the green look a bit brighter and yellower than typical RAF Dark Green of the era; Humbrol 116 isn't too bad a match.  Don't look for an exact FS595 match, it didn't exist😉.

Hurricane navigation light covers weren't coloured but clear, only the bulbs being coloured (the photo of the upended L1963 on page 48 of the Osprey book shows this).

The handle on the outside of the canopy is a nice touch: how did you do it please?  It's visible in many photos of Hurricanes but seldom modelled and I'd like to copy it on the small batch of Airfix Mk Is I've got in progress.

I've had trouble getting the wing centre section/lower cowling joint aligned properly, to the extent that I've had to remove the tab from the bottom of the firewall to get the wings on properly: did you have to do this?  Yours looks a damn sight neater than my first go!👍😶

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stever219 said:

HI think V7467 would have been nearly new when allocated to 242 Squadron so pant deterioration would have been minimal.  Your demarcation between upper surface and undersurface camouflage on the port engine cowling panel looks a bit high, there's a picture of S/L Bader with two other 242 Squadron pilots in front of the aeroplane on page 98 of Osprey's "Hurricane Aces1939-40" showing this panel.

Here, I must say that you are probably right, anyway, I did try here some new chipping  techniques and final result may not be exactly as it was ,at that time on real plane. Also demarcation line on the front engine cowling, well ,i tried to do it  as much as it was, maybe it is a bit higher, my reper was hatch for engin starting pole (or what is it exact name for that part).

It may be the lighting conditions but your photos make the green look a bit brighter and yellower than typical RAF Dark Green of the era; Humbrol 116 isn't too bad a match.  Don't look for an exact FS595 match, it didn't exist😉.

Okay, that is the main  problem with my model and I am aware of it, I didn`t catch the colors but now ,when I look at the pictures and at a model it self, not so sure about colors, that is the reason why I need more opinion.So,here you are probably right ,again.

Hurricane navigation light covers weren't coloured but clear, only the bulbs being coloured (the photo of the upended L1963 on page 48 of the Osprey book shows this).

Even that is true, but i tried to represent that navigation light with transparent plastic  using  coctail party tothpicks ,by the way, here is WIP pictures ,http://www.maketarskikutak.com/index.php/topic,20201.0.html (my project is infact 3 Hurricanes at the time and last more than a Year)

The handle on the outside of the canopy is a nice touch: how did you do it please?  It's visible in many photos of Hurricanes but seldom modelled and I'd like to copy it on the small batch of Airfix Mk Is I've got in progress.

One side handle is from Italeri kit and a other side is made from electric copper wire.

I've had trouble getting the wing centre section/lower cowling joint aligned properly, to the extent that I've had to remove the tab from the bottom of the firewall to get the wings on properly: did you have to do this?

Yes,this is inivitable with this Airfix kit, which is almost perfect in my opinion.

Yours looks a damn sight neater than my first go!👍😶

Thank you very much.

One think, sorry for my mistake English,but I hope that you understand what i said even if it is not fully correct.

Edited by Pedja

I am working on a Hurricane Mk 1 and I will certainly use yours as the example to follow. I think its an excellent piece of work that I can imagine would really stand out on a club display or the like.

• Like 1

Lovely build. I have one in the stash and will definitely be checking your WIP before I start! Can only agree with others about the upper surface colours...they look a bit 'off'. But you know that already and have had plenty of good advice. A question, if I may; should there be some 'red' around the gun ports on the wing leading edge to represent the sticky-on fabric stuff?? 

8 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

A question, if I may; should there be some 'red' around the gun ports on the wing leading edge to represent the sticky-on fabric stuff?? 

The fabric patches were generally stuck over the gun ports using red dope.  From a quick scan of available photos just now the practice does not appear to have been universal: it's also possible that either a different-coloured dope was used if more readily available to hard-pressed ground crews or the Red doesn't show up so well in some black n white period photos as in others.  "Old" patches would be removed and replaced to prevent degradation of the leading-edge profile so it's possible that some photos were taken while old patches were off and new ones waiting to be applied.  As Bader was a bit of a perfectionist I'd expect his ground crew to be kept busy keeping the Hurricane on top line so patches changed frequently and regularly.

• Like 1