Paragon 1/48 Manchester L7301 (and Lincoln RA679 too!)

Not on the Manchester mate, however the fuselage for the lincoln is now done, just need to get a few photos up. The chin on the resin nose looked too tapered and should be more chisel featured so I built it up with P38 filler and quite happy with the result. I'm going to focus on the Manchester next to bring that to the same stage as the Lincoln.

hows yours coming along? 

Cheers

neil

I will probably never get round to a Manchester or a Lincoln in this lifetime. I gotta say however, how impressed i am- not just at the quality of execution, but your ability to maintain a laser-like focus on these two despite the white noise coming from the overwhelming torrent of new kit, aftermarket, and book releases. I don't have that kind of discipline. Wish i did.

-d-

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get some modelling done this weekend. I keep finding bits I'm not happy with so keep going back to amend them!

The Lincoln fuselage is now finished off. The chin on the resin nose looks too tapered when you compare it to photographs so this was deepened to look more Nigel Havers and less Gail Platt!36227889016_4ecde9f4ac_o_d.jpg

This is the unmodified resin nose

36134924531_ab349d403d_o_d.jpg

And this is how it looks after a dose of P38 car filler to deepen the profile. Obviously, the sticky out bits were removed and refitted later on. This was done using the trusty razor saw...

36361114726_c52534af16_o_d.jpg

I've finally fitted the gear bays too. After some consideration, I've decided to fit the complete bay minus the gear legs due to old sausage fingers being likely to break them. A dry fit of the gear legs leads me to think that they can be slid in to place at the end of the build. I've started work on the Manchester wings at the same time because I need to build some spars to support the resin wings but they need to be fitted around the gear bay structure. Here's a shot of one of the Lincolns lower wings which had a bad landing yesterday snapping the resin wing tip off.aarrrgghhh!!!

36361114576_2aa1b214ab_o_d.jpg

One of the wing tips has been fitted to a Manchester wing. I used 4mm aluminium dowel to secure them with super glue. The benefit of aluminium is that you can easily file it to get a good fit. Below is a show of the wing dry fitted with engine. The intakes on the wing leading edges got damaged on removal from the resin sprue so they will be completely removed and replaced with some 6mm plastic tube. The leading edges are very untidy due to them being the attachment face for the sprue so I'm thinking of sanding them flat with the dremmel and fitting some thick plasticard that can be sanded to the correct profile. The alternative is P38 filler which would be easier but not as strong.

36405980705_5c46dd5275_o_d.jpg

• Like 9

A few more showing the progress of the Manchester now I've recharged the camera battery!

The wing sliced at the kink...

36409361115_dff70bb400_o_d.jpg

This photo shows the wing components. The resin wings have plasticard spacers, partly to reinforce the wing and partly to hold it to the right chord dimensions to mate with the kit inner wing section. This was done using a Vernier to get the measurements as accurate as I could. In the wing tip, you can see 4mm aluminium dowel pins inserted and filed to get a snug fit. The wing spars can be seen protruding out of the inner wing section using what looks like 60 though card cut with a dihedral. This was done my making a dihedral template using the wing front profile of the Warpaint drawings.

35574201724_20a5d7f1a8_b_d.jpg

And here is one of the wings dry fitted...

35574201064_84e2fa5d58_b_d.jpg

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, massimo said:

Great stuff!!!

and really nice work up to now!!!

For sure these two kits won't go unnoticed in Telford!!!

Look forward to see the next update!!!

" ...  up to now!" ???

You make it sound as though you don't expect Neil  to maintain his usual high standards!,

I'm sure you didn't intend to give that impression ...  Neil is one of my 'Master Builders'.   Long May that continue.

Jonny

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Jonny said:

" ...  up to now!" ???

You make it sound as though you don't expect Neil  to maintain his usual high standards!,

I didn't mean that for sure...

I was just admiring the nice work made so far!!!:tmi:

"...so far!"???         oooops....:rage:

Neil, I'm fully confident  you'll mantain your usual high standards!:yes:

Sorry Jonny...I've got some language problems...:tmi:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jonny said:

" ...  up to now!" ???

I'm sure you didn't intend to give that impression ...  Neil is one of my 'Master Builders'.   Long May that continue.

Jonny

Give @massimo a break!  This is his second language, after all...

• Like 2

Jonny's comment wasn't  critical, sometimes humour can be misinterpreted in written form, I know only too well!

Here's a moody shot of the Lincoln big parts all together.... So glad I made the chin improvements, it really makes a difference to the character of the square nosed Lanc!

36242545092_75ea91de8f_b_d.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Cheers guys,

The wings aren't far of joining up now. The leading edges have been tidied up using plasticard and P38. The leading edge intakes have also been fitted, I sourced some 6mm plastic tube from Ebay and drilled open the holes to fit them. One has been sanded also need a bit more tidying up. Should have the wings together this weekend then it's a fairly straight forwards build from there :)

36459568316_cd4091aeb9_b_d.jpg

36459568186_fae52c2796_b_d.jpg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, woody37 said:

Couldn't resist....

36109462770_a0ee527dec_b_d.jpg

Be inhuman too quite frankly.

Lovely work that made a great start to a Saturday catching-up with!

Bravo!

Tony

• Like 2

Great stuff mate, your usual standard.... look forward to seeing these two unwieldy beasts on the table in November :whistle: reminds me, really must crack on with the big Halibag, (the way things are going we'll end up with about six models on said table!). 

Should have the wings together this weekend then it's a fairly straight forwards build from there :)

Now, how many times have we all said that! :winkgrin:

• Like 3

12 hours ago, general melchett said:

Should have the wings together this weekend then it's a fairly straight forwards build from there :)

Now, how many times have we all said that! :winkgrin:

Ain't that the truth!!

The Martian that has the Tee shirt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1