Paragon 1/48 Manchester L7301 (and Lincoln RA679 too!)

Hi Bill,

Yes, I agree, the clear bits make for unpleasant stages in modelling, but when done right, have a big impact on the final outcome. come to think of it, they have the same effect when done wrong :blush:

The hand is mending nicely although sick of these cold and flu bouts going round, had two of them this month so hoping to start the new year illness free. So far its not looking good for that, but there's a few hours left yet!!

Yes, I'm hoping to have the Manchester at Huddy along with the Lincoln if we have a table big enough. Once the paint goes on, it will come together rather quickly and the turrets are pretty much done so only the undercarriage left to do on the bitty side :)

• Like 1

Got a bit more done today, although progress was slow due to Roscoe wanting some attention....OK, so he's forgiven :wub:

24565805597_ee0a68b02f_o_d.jpg

The clear bits are all fitted now and its masked, next stop, the paint shop :)

24565805087_658d959898_o_d.jpg

• Like 8

Looking good Neil,

Like the cockpit very much. I noticed that the flight engineers seat sits quite high against the fuselage side, with hindsight mine is too low and must be repositioned.

Good for motivation, I had neglected my build for too long and I plan to do some more work on the 1/32 Manchester as of this evening.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 1

9 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looking good Neil, a happy New Year to you...

Colin

Happy new to you mate too, hope you had a pleasant time round that side of the world?

5 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Looking good Neil,

Like the cockpit very much. I noticed that the flight engineers seat sits quite high against the fuselage side, with hindsight mine is too low and must be repositioned.

Good for motivation, I had neglected my build for too long and I plan to do some more work on the 1/32 Manchester as of this evening.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Cees

I’ve seen a lancaster photo that has a bench there rather than a chair with a back on. Whether that was a later feature or not I don’t know. Could it be that the Manchester also had a bench type chair (with no back on?)

i went to look at yours over Christmas but couldn’t get on the website, is it down? Look forwards to seeing some progress on yours :)

4 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

How about the Fallcon Set 40 as a replacement for your shortage of a Lancaster canopy?

Gondor

That’s an option but some later kits have a painted canopy included. If this is as well as the unpainted one, hopefully there should be a few knocking around. I try to avoid vac canopies unless the original isn’t good enough as there are a faff to handle normally!

cheers

• Like 1

Ah heck Neil, post the little guy to me and I'll give him a bit of attention instead

The model, ah yes the model, it's the reason some of us pop in at times

Looking very good now, that canopy masking is a job and a half isn't it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Ah heck Neil, post the little guy to me and I'll give him a bit of attention instead

The model, ah yes the model, it's the reason some of us pop in at times

Looking very good now, that canopy masking is a job and a half isn't it

I’d bring him to one of the shows, but not sure there would be much left on the tables by the end of the day. Imagine Rod Hull with emu, that’s what our house is like normally 😅

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Canopy masking looks immaculate!

Eduard masks to the rescue, it makes for such a pleasurable experience compared to cutting your own!

Started to get the paint down now. The DE/DG is on and I've just finished masking up ready to apply the night black

39817749311_9a9bfa20ba_b_d.jpg

39817749151_bfcbdf164a_b_d.jpg

The decals are coming from Xtradecal and Ventura generic sets

39817749031_c7b17c2f75_b_d.jpg

To get the wavy demarcation line, I rolled a thick piece of blutac and used a razor saw handle to press the waves in

39817748911_80fbc83a4a_b_d.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

That's looking really great, the Blu Tac looks really neat and even, should look the biz with the night black on.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. The black base is on now but I'll be adding some lighter tones to replicate panel deflections like I did with the Blackbird 72 scale one. Delicate handling is required at the moment until I can get some Kleer on to toughen the paint job up. Looking much more like a Manchester now with all that black!

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, Cees Broere said:

Nice progress Neil, this coming saturday I will be active during one of the regular IPMS SIG RAF/USAAF modelling afternoons so the Manchester will once more benefit from it.
Cees

Looking forwards to seeing it in the flesh...well resin sometime!

Managed to get the main colours and decals on this week, just got some stencils to do before it gets matted down and weathered...

39892114302_45db753374_b_d.jpg

39892114182_2264f219a8_b_d.jpg

39892114142_ba9b02a72d_b_d.jpg

39892114062_34ce290e7b_b_d.jpg

Not far to go now :)

• Like 13

That looks the nuts!

I love the subtle stressed skin effect you've managed to get on the upper fuselage and wings - it looks great.

Tom

• Like 1

Wow Neil,

Very nice, after your weathering techniques have been applied this will surely be one of your best.

I actually built the throttle box pedestal last Saturday, took me 4 hours for such a small part. The model itself is actually 3D printed high quality plastic (thankfully not resin).

Cees

• Like 1

On 27/01/2018 at 5:24 PM, perdu said:

What's the score Neil?

Huddy?

Cant wait to see her, gorgeous old girl

All being well Bill, yes Huddy :)

On 27/01/2018 at 6:36 PM, Turbofan said:

Do you spray or brush your Kleer Neil?

Ian

Good question, both! I had some issues spraying so over did the fuselage with a brush and it went on much better.

2 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Wow Neil,

Very nice, after your weathering techniques have been applied this will surely be one of your best.

I actually built the throttle box pedestal last Saturday, took me 4 hours for such a small part. The model itself is actually 3D printed high quality plastic (thankfully not resin).

Cees

Ah, I thought it was resin. Hope to see some progress pics soon :)

cheers