Paragon 1/48 Manchester L7301 (and Lincoln RA679 too!)

Yesterday, I was watching Raiders of the Lost Ark and it was quite appropriate because today I collected the Holy Grail of Bomber Command modelling, the 48 scale Paragon Manchester conversion! Before I go any further, I can't thank to Dennis (Spitfire) enough for selling it to me without needing a mortgage to afford it, so I intend to do it justice and have it done for Telford.

Whilst I'm at it, I'm also doing the Paragon 1/48 Lincoln conversion with an equally big thanks to Chris (Cngaero) who sold that to me for an equally reasonable price, that's 2 Christmas's so far this year and we're only in June! That will be published elsewhere in the future, so I can't show the full progress on that one, but will drop a few photo's in along the way.

I recently build the excellent Blackbird Manchester & Lincoln conversions, as you may guess, I'm a big fan of Avro's line of props, but always wanted to do them in 48 scale, I just couldn't get hold of the damn resin!

The Lincoln was started a few weeks ago, the resin quality is excellent...

34135812043_f6d04bfdbd_b_d.jpg

34782732992_f165e25bc0_b_d.jpg

34135811803_6202aab980_b_d.jpg

34946311915_0f7770c0a8_b_d.jpg

34782732552_f70e6518c7_b_d.jpg

34135811563_bf59f5d029_b_d.jpg

The base for both conversions is of course the classic but superb Tamiya Lancaster

34946311605_a417323f1f_b_d.jpg

Now for the Manchester resin.....

35092287085_9b05595fdb_b_d.jpg

34282298213_f6bfff0bee_b_d.jpg

35092285375_60805bb377_b_d.jpg

34248753594_9576d4bd19_b_d.jpg

• Like 17

This is the progress on the Lincoln. Still lots of fettling to tidy up some of the joins, but it's starting to take shape. The rear fuselage is currently being treated to a dose of high build primer to allow the upper contour to be sanded flat. Fitting the fuselage plug and getting it seamless and completely parallel is the hardest part so far. All surface detail has been sanded off and will be rescribed afterwards...

34962964321_0020d11780_b_d.jpg

34249694284_8f72af036c_b_d.jpg

35053503546_b43caaf407_b_d.jpg

• Like 14

Fantastic work so far with the Lincoln (see, I knew it was going to a good home). You've made a cracking start on the wings.

The Manchester conversion looks very nice indeed. Just wait until we can see them both completed with the Woody magic.

Edited by cngaero
  • Like 2

I was watching Indiana Jones yesterday too and spotted what looked like an Albion 3 point refueller - with twin rear wheels - during the aircraft flight scene - where Indie fights Pat Roach from 'Aufeidersein Pet'...

see around 2min 57 seconds and beyond - not the holy grail - but interesting :D

• Like 2

Hey Woody

Please dont forget to remove the wing Joint raised lines on the top, (and bottom), of the Tamiya wings.

They really are to proud and should be taken off . . . .

So looking forward to both these builds particularly the Manchester as I know the Lincoln is for publication

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

It's not fair! I want one! Well both, actually :)

Can't think of a more capable pair of hands for these two beautiful conversions... plenty of popcorn at the ready for this one!

Tom

• Like 2

As I said on Facebook, if someone needs a 1/48th Manchester in their life, it has to be you. Really pleased for you mate and they are going to be belters when done! I will have to spend some time to photo them too if you don't mind!

Now, you got what you want, so when do I get what I want. The resin Cutting Edge KJ-1 conversion. Any scale.... Still looking and will pay top dollar :( 

• Like 1

On 04/06/2017 at 5:44 PM, Mancunian airman said:

Hey Woody

Please dont forget to remove the wing Joint raised lines on the top, (and bottom), of the Tamiya wings.

They really are to proud and should be taken off . . . .

So looking forward to both these builds particularly the Manchester as I know the Lincoln is for publication

Ian

Hi Ian,

the raised lines aren't the original Tamiya ones, I redid them out of .005" plasticard so much more subtle, cheers

23 hours ago, tomprobert said:

It's not fair! I want one! Well both, actually :)

Can't think of a more capable pair of hands for these two beautiful conversions... plenty of popcorn at the ready for this one!

Tom

Thanks mate, no pressure.....gulp!

22 hours ago, Radleigh said:

As I said on Facebook, if someone needs a 1/48th Manchester in their life, it has to be you. Really pleased for you mate and they are going to be belters when done! I will have to spend some time to photo them too if you don't mind!

Now, you got what you want, so when do I get what I want. The resin Cutting Edge KJ-1 conversion. Any scale.... Still looking and will pay top dollar :( 

Cheers mate, I don't know what a KJ-1 is so better look it up! If someone had of told me last week that I would have the Manchester conversion this week, I'd of laughed, so don't give up :)

12 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Way to go Neil.

You can never have enough Manchesters.

Cees

That's true, although you are building the ultimate Manchester. Did you ever finish your 48 one? Your thread never shown it finished

cheers

neil

• Like 1

On 05/06/2017 at 9:00 PM, Radleigh said:

It's this beast, but I won't clog your thread up any more :) Lets see some Manchester goodness ;) 

9474931443_c3b79b5efd_h.jpg

Ah, I see now, I'll be watching when you get one, great idea :)

7 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

This looks like an epic build coming up. Might encourage me to do my Manchester.............

Is your Lincoln going to be the ugly long nose one?

Hi Ed, 

no, you Aussies sure know how to turn a slightly ugly big Lancaster into a very ugly and even bigger Lancaster!

Ive not decided on a scheme yet but it will be RAF

On ‎5‎-‎6‎-‎2017 at 9:33 PM, woody37 said:

Way to go Neil.

You can never have enough Manchesters.

Cees

That's true, although you are building the ultimate Manchester. Did you ever finish your 48 one? Your thread never shown it finished

Hi Neil,

Apart from the FN7 turret I did finish it and it is on display (sans turret) perched on top of a real Vulture engine in our museum Fort Veldhuis (www.arg1940-1945.nl). The Vulture was recovered from the crashsite in the northern part of the Netherlands.

I had insufficient information to make a good mould for a vacform item (still don't for the 1/32 Manchester, but will cross that bridge when I come to it).

The various cross sections are quite complicated.

But lately I have been working hard on the 1/32 Manchester having engraved the wings, the rear of the nacelles have been finished and I am working on the ailerons now.

Will post progress on BM soon, but not in this thread.

Can't wait to see your work in 1/48.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 3

I'm torn at the moment mate, I do like the camo scheme, but also like the contrast that a grey one would have on the table. Chris also gave me the large mk.iv paragon h2s blister (forgot to include in the photos) so I have the choice in that respect. The exhaust shroud design in the paragon set appears to be suitable for earlier aircraft, later ones appeared to have recessed exhaust stacks without a shroud, so this may narrow down options.

cheers

neil

• Like 1

Wow, a Manchester and a Lincoln conversion, what's not to like!

As said above, you are the ideal candidate for this double build Woody.

The Paragon parts look very nice.

Looking forward to seeing these come together.

• Like 2

On 2017-6-5 at 10:22 PM, perdu said:

It must be Christmas already

I do hope not.

If it is we have missed watching Woody building and finishing these two gems and seeing the finished articles at Telford.

• Like 1

Managed to get some progress done today. I uploaded a photo early on, but I guess with all the server issues, it didn't play through so I'll start again.

Firstly the bomb bay. Tamiya have put some wopping great location pins in there to locate the bombs. These things could carry a real 500lber, let alone a plastic one! The Manchesters typically flew with much less bomb load than a Lanc, so I've had to remove some of the pins which was easier said than done. In the end, it was rather a mess in there so I rebuilt the framework with plasticard and just left some of the pins in for a reduced load as the doors will be open. High build primer will be used to level off some of the imperfection between the lattice work...

34828770860_4e7f6a0618_b_d.jpg

35182130916_ca4e43e2e4_b_d.jpg

Secondly, I've cut the fuselage to insert the fuselage plug ready for the replacement turret...

35182129816_0452f1aafc_b_d.jpg

35182129586_715dbc2a5a_b_d.jpg

I've also started working on the interior. This is a mix of Eduard zoom and scratch building. I'm not going all out, but just making it look busy enough inside the pit when you stick your nose up to it. I'll get some pics of that possibly tomorrow. So far, so good :)

Cheers

Neil

• Like 6