Paragon 1/48 Manchester L7301 (and Lincoln RA679 too!)

Thanks Massimo :)

Got the weathering done on the wings yesterday and cut the vac rear turret out and dipped in Kleer. There's still 16 prop blades to cut from the resin block yet which is a tedious task then I need to drill each one and insert some copper tube to secure them to the hubs.

36997371284_157f44c8fd_o_d.jpg

36997371194_144376c6c7_b_d.jpg

• Like 21

On 10/10/2017 at 3:23 PM, feifeitim said:

Neil!  The Lincoln fuselage is just stunning!  Awesome work!  Can't wait to see the finished aircraft, it will be a masterpiece!

Second that.  Plus now the wings!  And thanks for the mini-tutorial on your pastel technique (with which you are a bloomin artist) :)

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning Neil.  Have loved each and every one of your build threads but this one more so, and it's great to see your method behind such superb results.

Looking forward to seeing the Lincoln in the flesh at Telford.

Best regards.

Chris.

• Like 1

Wow Neil, that upper wing weathering looks tust the Dogs danglies. What will you do to the underside, I have to say I like your style of modelling and weathering. I'm not to much into wearthering as in the FAA we used to keep our cabs very clean. Every Friday a NAVI wash and then a hydraulic fluid/rag wipe over, not ime to paint in the panel lines, He, he! Glad you descide to build one insted of two models for Telford.

Colin

• Like 1

Cheers mate. I haven’t done much on the undersides. I’ve tried to use photos to get a good representation and the black paint appears to hide much of the grime. I may add a bit of gloss contrast to simulate oil stains and there’s some exhaust staining but that’s about it.

there will only be the lincoln finished for Telford, got quite a bit on with work so not getting the time / motivation at the bench.

cheers

• Like 1

Had a solid at of modelling today, not often that happen!

It's now sat on its own wheels :)

I'm hoping I can leave the wings detachable, so far so good, but we'll see. Sorry for the poor pic, just a quick dry fit and to see if the gear will support all that resin and ensure the large radome clears the ground! 

37803133632_e2a3f7961b_b_d.jpg

• Like 25

43 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Had a solid at of modelling today, not often that happen!

It's now sat on its own wheels :)

I'm hoping I can leave the wings detachable, so far so good, but we'll see. Sorry for the poor pic, just a quick dry fit and to see if the gear will support all that resin and ensure the large radome clears the ground! 

37803133632_e2a3f7961b_b_d.jpg

Neil, that is absolutely beautiful. I like your pastel weathering technique overall, but the exhaust staining is superb.

• Like 4

Delicious sensitive work Neil.

Wonderful seeing how this has come together - the stub-brush is a highly underrated tool imho, especially in such gifted hands as yours.

Tony

• Like 1

This looks really great Neil, I'll be round for a mooch next month, I see we've been shunted away from the BC tables again  :(

Although there might be a slight chance of some beer, our neighbours could just possibly be some dutch guys...  ;)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, perdu said:

This looks really great Neil, I'll be round for a mooch next month, I see we've been shunted away from the BC tables again  :(

Although there might be a slight chance of some beer, our neighbours could just possibly be some dutch guys...  ;)

I heard about those Dutch chaps having too much fun last year, don't they know it's a model show? :rofl:

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Neil,

The best Lincoln build I have seen- incredible weathering and exhaust streaking! I am sooo envious!

Mike

Thanks Mike, it's the first conversion I've ever done on this scale but patience has paid off, I've experimented with different types of weathering following others great results, but never really mastered any of them and keep going back to the technique I adopted as a nipper!

I’m seeing some but not all, I’ll have a look in the morning, it’s nothing I’ve done here.

pretty much finished the build now, got the mid upper finished and got the rear turret assembled ready for painting. Need to get some MDF tomorrow to make a base and then it’s onto the ground stuff.

Wonderful work there Neil, I so want a Lincoln now, I guess there is a reason I recently bought the Lincoln at War book, for a fugly aeroplane, they're strangely attractive & yours is sure working some magic on me. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Great result mate, have you got a suitably sized base sorted? now if you could just squeeze the Manc in before the 11th :whistle:

Bill, you need to be plonked between the Dutch, Swedes and Czechs to feel the full effect of SMW's International flavour, (not to mention the interesting range of mind-altering beverages)......last years Friday night EU booze-bash pitch invasion of the Priorslee 'Flaming Grill' was a somewhat raucous affair, damn good fun though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Wonderful work there Neil, I so want a Lincoln now, I guess there is a reason I recently bought the Lincoln at War book, for a fugly aeroplane, they're strangely attractive & yours is sure working some magic on me. :)

Steve.

I do agree, it's the least attractive in the Manchester evolution, but has that something about it that draws you in.

46 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Great result mate, have you got a suitably sized base sorted? now if you could just squeeze the Manc in before the 11th :whistle:

Bill, you need to be plonked between the Dutch, Swedes and Czechs to feel the full effect of SMW's International flavour, (not to mention the interesting range of mind-altering beverages)......last years Friday night EU booze-bash pitch invasion of the Priorslee 'Flaming Grill' was a somewhat raucous affair, damn good fun though.

I cut a base this morning mate, 55cm square! Unfortunately, I'm gong to be travelling round a bit over the next few weeks with work so the only time I'm going to get is to work on the base(s - doing a few more whilst at it) and ground figures & equipment). I'm hoping to bring 4 / 5 aircraft with bases.

A final update on the Lincoln before Telford and its pretty much done. I'm not to happy with my efforts on the rear turret, but hey ho, apart from a few self inflicted niggles, it's gone quite smoothly. There's a few details still to go on, but work will now focus on the base..

37932338776_7f60738108_b_d.jpg

37932338706_2f5c380642_b_d.jpg

Thanks for following and helping along the way guys :)

I should get the Manchester finished over Christmas so plan to bring that to Huddersfield.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 21