Paragon 1/48 Manchester L7301 (and Lincoln RA679 too!)

On 10/09/2017 at 10:04 AM, woody37 said:

36996355621_452b17ccd4_b_d.jpg

Putting to one side for the moment the ridiculously fine modelling skills - one thing I've always admired was the quality of your photography Neil.  Is that the set up?  Some slightly curved A3(?) blue card and an overhead light?  Mastery demystified?  Or is that the photographic background just shove out of the way to one side ....

BTW - Glad to see that it aint only my cutting mat that has somehow been magnetised to attract all the detritus of model making.

• Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, Thom216 said:

Great progress. And your modeling expanse is making me envious!

Rest assured, yours is a lot cleaner and spacier than mine, and all I have going is /48 Do 335.

Believe me, its a full time job keeping it this clean, after half an hour, it looks as if there's been a hurricane pass through the room!

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, spitfire said:

Looking great, and what a great modelling set up you have, mind you with two 1/48 scale "heavies" on the go you certainly need it

Cheers

Dennis

cheers Dennis, when we moved, it was a condition I wouldn't budge on. The missus was always complaining because the dining room table was full of modelling stuff at the other house and we couldn't eat on it. Now I have my own space and the table constantly full of her stuff and we still can't eat on it :rofl:

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:26 AM, perdu said:

Roscoe

He looks like a great mate to have around Neil,I'm not jealous at all

Hardly

Very much-ish

Oh yes the models, brilliant work as ever and aren't those transparencies ace huh?

He is Bill, apart from nipping when he gets excited. He's grabbed my ears a few times and its brought tears to my eye

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, Cees Broere said:

Looking good already! I like the way you "modified" the Manchester's flight engineers panel. I will follow similar lines.

Cheers

Cees

Cheers Cee's. I did consider trying to file the detail off, but life is too short sometimes!

Got the rescribing done on the Manchester now and its coming together nicely. Just need to add some riveting to it and then its about finishing off the inside detail that will be visible through the clear parts before finally fixing them in place and moving on to the painting. I had to use two sheets of card as a back drop for these things, they aint small! The canopy for the Manchester is splayed out for some reason. I tried soaking in hot water whilst clamped a bit the other night, but the water reacted with the Kleer and it turned white....gulp. In the end I had to re-soak it but in Kleer gain and managed to scrub it and it eventually fixed itself...magic stuff! I'll have to try again with a heater but failing that, superglue should secure everything in place. You may of noticed that I sanded the mid upper fairing down somewhat. They are very subtle on the real thing, now it looks more Manchester like.

37047894351_80afb5b67e_b_d.jpg

37047894281_b75658eb7e_b_d.jpg

36792504930_81c9a63878_b_d.jpg

36792504800_fbf97662c0_b_d.jpg

36792504710_b0fcf4d051_b_d.jpg

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Putting to one side for the moment the ridiculously fine modelling skills - one thing I've always admired was the quality of your photography Neil.  Is that the set up?  Some slightly curved A3(?) blue card and an overhead light?  Mastery demystified?  Or is that the photographic background just shove out of the way to one side ....

BTW - Glad to see that it aint only my cutting mat that has somehow been magnetised to attract all the detritus of model making.

Hi Steve,

Yes, that is my set up :blush:

I used PS3 to crop, sharpen and balance the images (nothing fancy, just a few adjustments of the sliders depending on how the natural light is playing on the day), but the key I've found is to set the depth of focus to a big setting I think (if someone who knows what they're doing with a camera, please correct me if I'm wrong. I got some advice off Mike several years ago for doing reviews and left the camera set up like that as I don't really know what I'm doing! The card is from Hobbycraft. I have a fold away booth, but that's how it stays!!

Yes, those modelling mats do have a strange magnetic effect, it seems to pull everything in from around the room :drunk:

• Like 2

Would you believe it, there's some paint on one of these kites!!

Spent some time over the weekend working on the interiors, fitting the clear bits and masking the Lincoln. Fitting the open windows (and overhead curtains and curtain wires) was a pain and I've got some glue marks on the Lincoln, but the Manchester looks OK. Hopefully once the frames are painted, much of it will be hidden behind them, but until the masks are off, I won't know how good / bad it looks. The dihedral on the Lincoln wing is less than the Lancaster so I've cut one wing and inserted some plasticard in to the upper section to reduce the dihedral and need to do the other tomorrow. The join needs a bit more work before I can get the paint on the wings.

Here's the fuselage with MSG on....

37096937086_b87f9e0034_b_d.jpg

37096936906_ea245ff8af_b_d.jpg

37096936706_4a32bfd68d_b_d.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Neil, love the detail in the Manchester cockpit, excellent. Where did you grab hold of the canopies when you Cleared them they look excellent, I've never bothered myself but may do with my next build.

Sorry you didn't bet to Driffield but you didn't miss much. I managed to spend far too much but hey you have to have stuff and lot of it I can't get down here...

Both builds are looking superb.

Colin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't get over to Driffield Colin, would of been good to catch up again.

Really got stuck in this weekend. The fuselage is pretty much done now bar turrets and sticky out bits. The earlier Mk.IV H2S blisters were clear, but for the first time, I had to reduce the shine on a clear part so in the end, I used white / yellow ochre oils to rough it up a bit. I may give a light dusting of matt varnish too but will come back to that later. The canopy didn't turn out as bad as I'd expected which was a pleasant surprise as there was some glue marks in places but the frames have hidden most of it.

The wings are nearly done too, although wasn't happy with the thickness of the wing lines provided by Tamiya so they've been removed and will get replaced with some thinner ones (72 scale!)

Once the wings are done, the following remains:

Turrets

Cut Lancaster wheel hubs out and replace with the resin ones from the conversion set correct for a Lincoln

Undercarriage

Inboard oil tanks visible in the forward gear bays

Various aerials 

Exhausts & props.

37567117152_a9d3c9fa63_b_d.jpg

37567116962_c25d8672ee_b_d.jpg

37567116782_494fc922ff_b_d.jpg

37567116682_d4bd2531ab_b_d.jpg

The Manchester has stalled unfortunately. I had hoped to get both to Telford, but it's not a reality so have committed to getting this done along with a base.. I don't want to rush and cock them up.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 23

Fantastic work Neil !

Why some enterprising resin conversion manufacturer doesn't make more conversions of these two in 1/48 is a real pity

Cheers

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Radleigh said:

Are you going to Newark Neil? If so, would you be taking them along at all.... understand if you don't want to yet... I'm just eager to see them!! Lincoln is looking stunning.

Hi mate, I don't think so. I may bring the Manchester to Telford in a box as a WIP. Are you getting to Telford? 

• Like 1

Newark and Telford for me, Telford all three days... I have my own table now too, Scale Water Bombers... first year though and it's still very much in the early stages, so don't expect much lol

Will come and find you over the weekend :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cngaero said:

Neil, your Lincoln is really starting to take shape and looks amazing.

Not far now.

Thanks Chris, hopefully, I can provide a good home for it :)

7 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Newark and Telford for me, Telford all three days... I have my own table now too, Scale Water Bombers... first year though and it's still very much in the early stages, so don't expect much lol

Will come and find you over the weekend :)

That's cool, there's quite a  lot of diversity in fire bomber types so I reckon it could a successful venture 

The Linc looks great

Did you know you've left a seam all along the bomb bay do....

Doh, you know, some days I'm far stupider than others

Kidding aside it does look really, well, amazingly good

See you next month

And you Radders!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, woody37 said:

Hi mate, I don't think so. I may bring the Manchester to Telford in a box as a WIP. Are you getting to Telford? 

Will look forward to seeing it even as a WIP if you decide  to bring it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Lovely stuff Neil, apols for not replying sooner. They're both coming along a treat, looking forward to seeing them in the flesh soon, we'd better clear a nice, big space, in fact, following our evening bash we may have to go on a night-raid and half-inch another table, especially if Richard decides to bring his 1/48th Vulcan along to the party...

• Like 1

Hi Neil, wise descission re the Manchester, better to get one finished to your usual high standard, rather than rush and maybe cock one up...

Would love to get to Telford but one UK this year, can't manage a second. Maybe next year???

Colin

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:56 PM, general melchett said:

Lovely stuff Neil, apols for not replying sooner. They're both coming along a treat, looking forward to seeing them in the flesh soon, we'd better clear a nice, big space, in fact, following our evening bash we may have to go on a night-raid and half-inch another table, especially if Richard decides to bring his 1/48th Vulcan along to the party...

That would vertainly make an imposing line up with the 48 Vulcan there too!

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, heloman1 said:

Hi Neil, wise descission re the Manchester, better to get one finished to your usual high standard, rather than rush and maybe cock one up...

Would love to get to Telford but one UK this year, can't manage a second. Maybe next year???

Colin

Hope you can get over next year Col , be great to catch up again :)

Been working on the wings on and off this week with the deadline approaching. In the end I used some 72 scale Skymodels lines and stensils and have started on the weathering. All the weathering so far is using the trusty soft pastel and two types of brushes, the smaller one with the bristles cut right down to almost a stub so that I can work the pastel in to the panel lines and bring out rivet lines, then the larger one to brush any excess away in the direction of the airflow. I've tried to replicate the muddy footprints that tended to build up on the wings and upper fuselage. The next step is a dusting of matt varnish (Alclad flat cote) then the exhaust stains will be airbrushed on followed by some final pastelling to blend it all together. A final matt cote will seal everything in. The exhausts have been painted too but not fitted yet. Hoping to make a start on the undercarriage and turret this weekend too around domestic choirs  

37017201293_e7dafac97d_b_d.jpg

Underwing without any weathering or varnish on yet. Apart from the exhaust stains, it will be kept quite minimal

37017201163_a30acc8903_b_d.jpg

Photo's appear to show more grime around the hatch and turret on the fuselage with the grime extending out along the wings so this is what I've tried to create.

37017201103_1eaeb579f8_b_d.jpg

Cheers

• Like 22